Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby john plainman » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:40 pm

Stuntman wrote:
Bartatua wrote:ever just sit down and watch the extended lotr

I started this a few months ago but I never got around to RotK.

yeah, the extended versions are absurdly long.
john plainman
Hello? Hello? Anybody home?

Postby Sobieski » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:07 pm

I’m tempted to get stoned today and watch extended Fellowship of The Ring or that animated movie from the 70s
smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby joe » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:51 pm

I keep imagining a lotr titular line like burns version of Ben hurr but as "you truly are the Lord Of The Rings"
dễ dàng wrote:CHẾT TIỆT
joe

Postby Seamus » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:24 pm

i find these movies super boring now
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby joe » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:43 pm

My human eyes are currently watching extended fellowship
joe

Postby joe » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:21 pm

joe

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:02 pm

man, every so often i think i can maybe convince myself to watch and like the Hobbit movies, but I end up not even trying. love freeman and lee pace but man they're just so sloggy. i think i liked the detective gandalf stuff in the first one.
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby reversemigraine » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:33 pm

Reread ROTK over the weekend. I've had some pretty blue moods lately but man, the final act (and especially the final chapter) felt so much sadder and more depressing than I recall. I understood bypassing the Scouring of the Shire stuff in the movies, but I feel like one of the unfortunate side effects of the editing choices for the final 20 minutes of the movie was that it didn't adequately capture how irreparably damaged Frodo had become. Dude makes it home, suffers through twice-annual debilitating illnesses, lives in a state of permanent depression, and realizes within a couple of years that he'll never be able to enjoy the world that he's helped save and ends it.
reversemigraine

Postby ashtrayheart » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:53 pm

first hobbit movie is ok because they nailed the scene where bilbo gets the ring and i thought the barrel river chase was a good set piece
ashtrayheart

Postby ashtrayheart » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:54 pm

r m wrote:Reread ROTK over the weekend. I've had some pretty blue moods lately but man, the final act (and especially the final chapter) felt so much sadder and more depressing than I recall. I understood bypassing the Scouring of the Shire stuff in the movies, but I feel like one of the unfortunate side effects of the editing choices for the final 20 minutes of the movie was that it didn't adequately capture how irreparably damaged Frodo had become. Dude makes it home, suffers through twice-annual debilitating illnesses, lives in a state of permanent depression, and realizes within a couple of years that he'll never be able to enjoy the world that he's helped save and ends it.

yeah, its beautifully sad. thank god for sam getting a happy ending.
ashtrayheart

Postby Quigley » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:44 pm

The first hour of Fellowship is so comforting. I want a homey low-stakes Road to Avonlea-atyle CBC series about the ordinary goings on in the Shire.
Quigley

Postby Riverchrist » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:19 pm

ashtrayheart wrote:i thought the barrel river chase was a good set piece

The Fellowship of the Quick Time Event
Riverchrist

Postby Bartatua » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:23 pm

ashtrayheart wrote:first hobbit movie is ok because they nailed the scene where bilbo gets the ring and i thought the barrel river chase was a good set piece

I think i was the only person who liked the high frame rate shit in that movie

Everything looked so fucked up and hyper real in the basic scenes that just had dialogue and stuff

It gave it an air of earnestness like i was watching a bunch of people who just really love lotr acting it all out
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby BlackSugar » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:39 pm

this is really good
I come like a thousand doves
BlackSugar
COMING SOON

Postby Fullscreen » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:07 pm

easy wrote:I have some weed rn called "Shire"

gotta be one called Old Toby, right?

it's only the finest weed in the southfarthing.
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart
Fullscreen

Postby reversemigraine » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:20 pm

Old Toby has a sweet lemony flavor and smell with hint of rich earth and pine. This bud has lumpy round super leafy forest green nugs with bright orange hairs and a coating of tiny bright amber crystal trichomes with sticky sweet resin droplets.
reversemigraine

Postby ashtrayheart » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:59 pm

peter jackson looks like danny mcbride there haha

i’ll have to check that out! i quite enjoy watching lotr but one of my favorite aspects is how impressive it was productionwise. dunno when a high fantasy saga will ever get a budget or a cast like that again, be planned so well and given such good faith. they poured so much into the design of those movies, really impressive.
ashtrayheart

Postby Bartatua » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:24 pm

ashtrayheart wrote:peter jackson looks like danny mcbride there haha

i’ll have to check that out! i quite enjoy watching lotr but one of my favorite aspects is how impressive it was productionwise. dunno when a high fantasy saga will ever get a budget or a cast like that again, be planned so well and given such good faith. they poured so much into the design of those movies, really impressive.

hope you've watched the giant array of behind the scenes stuff that came with the extended dvds

one of the only behind the scenes inclusions i've found genuinely enjoyable
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby reversemigraine » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:43 pm

Just put in an ILL request for that book. Thanks for the tip, BlackSugar.

Feel like the narrative crafted during and immediate after filming has been amended a bit in recent years. I think I read recently that the old story about Jackson and Walsh taking their two-script plan to New Line and Ordesky immediately asking, "Why not three?" was kinda bullshit.
reversemigraine

Postby Quigley » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:45 pm

Yeah those docs and the commentaries on the first 5-10 seasons of the Simpsons DVDs ruined me for special features forever. Just the piece on all the tricks they used to make the hobbits looks smaller is fascinating. There's something about that combination of people, and all the stuff they were building by being the first to do all this stuff in New Zealand on that scale, and how well the main cast seemed to get along and bond down there. How well all the practical effects combined with the digital stuff - compared to other movies of their time like Revenge of the Sith and Harry Potter they're on another level.
Quigley

Postby deadbass » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:16 pm

So I bought the Hobbit extended trilogy on a whim, despite having only watched the first one and not really liking it. Watching it a second time, I actually liked it quite a bit (I think the 3D and the high frame rate really ruined it for me). The second movie is okay, the third movie was unbearable garbage that I watched over 4 days.

Anyways I started watching the special features and holy shit, they did it again. I loved the LOTR special features with all my heart and would just watch them over and over whenever I was sick in high school. These honestly seem even better. They're pretty forthright about a lot of stuff too - Peter Jackson basically says he had like 1/3 of the time to prepare for these movies compared to LOTR.... Ian McKellan had a terrible time with doing greenscreen, a lot of the stunts and action were really brutal on the cast. It's pretty impressive how critical some of the cast interviews can be.
deadbass

Postby reversemigraine » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:24 pm

They're an interesting failure, for sure.

I definitely don't hate them the way I hate the Star Wars prequels. It just feels like, between all his bickering with New Line and getting the rights figured out and losing Del Toro and facing the labor issues, he just wanted to get the whole thing over with. And amidst all that, they decided to expand it from two to three films, which meant he had to come up with an entire movie's worth of content at the last moment. It's telling that he repeatedly refers to Desolation of Smaug as the "third film," because so much of it was filmed after he'd already shot most everything else. It's also one of those cases, kinda like Rogue One, where set reports and merch and trailers betray just how much he rejiggered late in production.
reversemigraine

Postby reversemigraine » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:36 pm

One of the things that Jackson, Walsh, and Boyens would always congratulate themselves about in the LOTR commentaries was how, any time they had to make a decision about a questionable character change to the story, they'd always try to err on the side of fidelity to the books. So they cut Arwen out of Helm's Deep, cut Sauron out of the final battle, and so on. (The major exception to this being Faramir's arc, I guess.) And in the case of the Hobbit movies, the weakest elements (for me, at least) are the subplots that stand on the thinnest foundation w/r/t the source material, i.e., Azog and Bolg, Tauriel, the Master and Alfrid, etc.
reversemigraine

Postby deadbass » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:15 pm

Yeah, I've never completely loved the LOTR movies, as I felt like a lot of the little things that really spoke to me in the books were taken out, but I've grown to appreciate what Jackson did more as I understood what it takes to get movies made.

It's such a shame that they added the third Hobbit movie, because yeah, most of those bad decisions that line all three movies (Azog/Tauriel-Kili Romance) are direct results of a need to pad enough narrative into a third film, when there was such a perfect amount for two movies. Part of me excuses Jackson though, because I think the battle of the five armies is terrible in the novel as well, and serves to undo a lot of the themes that Tolkien built up throughout the novel and weirdly distends the scope and I get how a visual director like Jackson would see the 4 pages that describe that battle and feel compelled to make it into a movie. I think in hindsight it's obvious that if any rewrite was necessary, it was getting rid of that battle.

Still though, there are so many good things - all the dwarves are perfect, especially the dudes who play Bofur and Balin, McKellen as Gandalf is so perfectly warm and humane... Freeman is honestly underrated and great as Bilbo. I loved Cumberbatch's voice performance as Smaug. Also the Gollum scene was breathtakingly incredible and might be the highlight of the three movies.

(random aside: I had no idea Legolas was in these movies, and everything about him was kinda fucked? Like, I'm sure people were fuming at the time for his ridiculous stunts, but what bothered me the most was that obviously digitally coloured his eyes for some reason I haven't learned yet (I assume it'll be in the special features), and they look insane and terrible.)
deadbass

Postby Bartatua » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:07 pm

the casting of the dwarves and bilbo was all solid yeah

freeman is such a better bilbo than wood was frodo
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby deadbass » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:03 am

On the other hand, Billy Connolly playing a purely CGI dwarf doing full Billy Connolly was completely insane.
deadbass

Postby Kenny » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:26 am

r m wrote:One of the things that Jackson, Walsh, and Boyens would always congratulate themselves about in the LOTR commentaries was how, any time they had to make a decision about a questionable character change to the story, they'd always try to err on the side of fidelity to the books

!!! Yeah right...
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Kenny » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:36 am

I used to be in the "Well, the movies were as good as they could have ever been done. I mean, it could have been a Sci Fi channel mini series..." but at this point I kind of just think they are just... boring and I wish someone else would have directed them. The way he shoots every single scene is so samey and the constant "zoom in angle up" on monsters screaming is so dreary.

I also can't believe that Howard Shore won an Oscar for each movie when he did like 3 songs for the whole trilogy

I still think they could have been a lot worse, I think all the hobbits were well cast, filming in New Zealand was a great idea, etc etc but it will be a long time before I rewatch them
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby aububs » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:38 am

Celiac Cruz wrote:
Bartatua wrote:ever just sit down and watch the extended lotr

feels so good to do this

couple of friends and I did this about 10 years ago. we drank beer while doing it and about 6 hours into the movies we were all blind drunk and paying no attention to lotr at all. haven't returned to them since
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby Guffaw » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:44 am

oh yeah the LOTR movies are really boring compared to the thrill-a-minute books
Guffaw

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....