Postby Kwisatz Haderach » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:11 pm

Like skipper and gilligan
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby joe » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:15 pm

I like when Elrond whomps Sauron with his hat
dễ dàng wrote:CHẾT TIỆT
joe

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:46 am

this thread finally got me to play my copy of shadow of mordor that's been sitting around since last christmas.

it's fun!
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby reversemigraine » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:20 am

Thread convinced me to start a read-through. For all the Tolkien stuff I've read or bought over the past decade, I realized that I haven't read LOTR straight through since the movies came out.

I'd forgotten just how different The Ring Sets Out is from the first half of the Fellowship movie.
reversemigraine

Postby Petty » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:37 am

Tolkien died 43 years ago today
Fuck being hard, Petty is complicated. ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

╰( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )つ──☆*:・゚Started from the bottom (US) now we're here (UK)

NOTICE: I do not own, nor am I owned. Stop trying to drag me into your FUCKED UP hegemony ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿
Petty
P-Nut's biggest fan

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:51 am

still haven't read my copy of Unfinished Tales, or Children of Hurin
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Petty » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:53 am

Can't believe Christopher Tolkien is still alive

NOTICE: I do not own, nor am I owned. Stop trying to drag me into your FUCKED UP hegemony ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿
Petty
P-Nut's biggest fan

Postby gauchebag » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:47 am

Petty wrote:
reversemigraine wrote:Image

This is the edition of LOTR that I'd really like to have

i bought this for my dad as a replacement for the older paperbacks bc i lost his Two Towers in like 8th grade

And he has this one Image
bruce1: fucking, fighting, i'm the one with gun
gauchebag

Postby nice pass » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:42 am

Petty wrote:Tolkien died 43 years ago today

I can't believe it.
You guessed it, Frank Stallone
nice pass
ok

Postby Petty » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:51 am

Sorry, it was yesterday

Petty
P-Nut's biggest fan

Postby nice pass » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:53 am

Still, incredible.
nice pass
ok

Postby Petty » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:03 am

Did you used to be cool, I can't remember

Petty
P-Nut's biggest fan

Postby nice pass » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:11 am

Here, let me use a comma.
nice pass
ok

Postby tarantula » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:17 am

does anyone else remember reading that tolkien had insane nightmares about tides of blood crashing over britain until he finally started writing "lord of the rings," or did i just imagine that
tarantula

Postby notlenny » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:10 pm

opi wrote:my friend found this in the dollar bin at the local record store & dropping the needle on it to see wtf it was while in the store is one of my musical highlights of 2016

Fuck

Thank you so much for this
notlenny

Postby sideshow raheem » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:16 pm

tarantula wrote:does anyone else remember reading that tolkien had insane nightmares about tides of blood crashing over britain until he finally started writing "lord of the rings," or did i just imagine that

I recall it just being water(sort of a precursor to the fall of Numenor) but I could be wrong
sideshow raheem
ok

Postby easy » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:19 pm

tarantula wrote:does anyone else remember reading that tolkien had insane nightmares about tides of blood crashing over britain until he finally started writing "lord of the rings," or did i just imagine that

this is the most metal thing
easy
does it

Postby Quigley » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:28 pm

rap and country wrote:my original (now lost/destroyed) set was this one:

Oh man this brings up some intense nostalgia from reading these for the first time around third/fourth grade. I got them from the Scholastic book order, it was a monthly/bimonthly flyer thing and they only put one tolkien book in at a time. When I started they were on the Two Towers, so I read that and ROTK and then I had to wait till the next school year to get the Hobbit and Fellowship when they started over. Fellowship is definitely my favourite, partly because of that 6-12 month buildup. It's 100% the best movie.

It would be cool to see Jackson or somebody go back and film Tom Bombadil and the Scouring of the Shire as some kind of bonus thing, just to see them realized with his team's distinctive design and effects.

Also the Hobbit movies aren't as good but they do have the all-time great scene at the end of the last one where Gandalf cleans his pipe for like a full minute while Bilbo sits and sighs:

It reminds me of the excellent scrambled egg scene from the end of Big Night.
Quigley

Postby reversemigraine » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:22 am

Poptone wrote:That Annotated Hobbit is so good; really wish they'd do similar editions for the main trilogy, even if each volume would be goddamned massive.

You gotta pick this up:

I wasn't even aware of it until this week, but it's a 900+ page brick of annotations. I checked out the library's copy a couple days ago and it's seriously legit. Obviously it's not as handy as having an annotated copy of LOTR, nor is it as nicely packaged as The Annotated Hobbit, but it's probably the best you can hope for under the circumstances.

Houghton Mifflin packaged it with LOTR in their 50th and 60th anniversary box sets (but you can still buy it on its own):

reversemigraine

Postby reversemigraine » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:58 am

reversemigraine wrote:Thread convinced me to start a read-through. For all the Tolkien stuff I've read or bought over the past decade, I realized that I haven't read LOTR straight through since the movies came out.

I'd forgotten just how different The Ring Sets Out is from the first half of the Fellowship movie.

Just to expand on this a bit, the Bree stuff is really jarring after a decade-plus of watching the movie. Like, they get up the morning after the Black Riders sweep through, eat a full breakfast at the inn, load up the pony, and leave town by parading straight down the main street, as the entire fucking town comes out to see them go.
reversemigraine

Postby Poptone » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:19 am

reversemigraine wrote:
Poptone wrote:That Annotated Hobbit is so good; really wish they'd do similar editions for the main trilogy, even if each volume would be goddamned massive.

You gotta pick this up:

This is awesome, gonna be ordering it post-haste. Thanks for bringing it to my attention! Gonna do a read-through with this that will last forever.
Poptone
cat fan

Postby reversemigraine » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:30 am

The entry on wargs references a brief correspondence between JRRT and Gene Wolfe from 1966. Naturally Gene was interested in the word's etymology.

That's probably a well-known piece of trivia for Wolfe fans, but it was fun to come across.

Anyway, I guess Hammond and Scull have been in charge of editing LOTR since the early 2000s. Their notes in the Reader's Companion make frequent mention of tweaks to the manuscript in the 2004 edition -- mostly minor grammatical things like consistency of accent marks and hyphenated terms and how Rivendell is the "house of Elrond" rather than the "House of Elrond." But it's interesting to see how many small changes Christopher made from the '70s onward, and how many are continuing to be made now.
reversemigraine

Postby easy » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:23 pm

I have some weed rn called "Shire"
easy
does it

Postby Rumours » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:12 am

blu-ray extended edition trilogy 26.49 on amazon for the next two hours...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZQAKHU/re ... ign=buffer
Rumours

Postby tarantula » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:08 am

easy wrote:

this is the most metal thing

i conflated tolkien and jung

tolkien:

At the climactic moment of the Lord of the Rings, Faramir says to Éowyn that he is reminded of a "great dark wave climbing over the green lands and above the hills, and coming on, darkness unescapable. I often dream of it." The couple are as yet unaware of the passing of Sauron, but the symbolism is apt. Tolkien puts into Faramir's words a recurring dream that had troubled him since childhood (1): a "dreadful dream of the ineluctable Wave, either coming up out of a quiet sea, or coming in towering over the green inlands" (2).

Tolkien felt that this 'Atlantis haunting' was symptomatic of a tale of universal mythic applicability, a theme "so fundamental to 'mythical history'--whether it has any kind of basis in real history…that some version of it would have to come in [to his legendarium]"(3).

jung:

In October [1913], while I was alone on a journey, I was suddenly seized by an overpowering vision: I saw a monstrous flood covering all the northern and low-lying lands between the North Sea and the Alps. When it came up to Switzerland I saw that the mountains grew higher and higher to protect our country. I realized that a frightful catastrophe was in progress. I saw the mighty yellow waves, the floating rubble of civilization, and the drowned bodies of uncounted thousands. Then the whole sea turned to blood. This vision last about one hour. I was perplexed and nauseated, and ashamed of my weakness.

Two weeks passed; then the vision recurred, under the same conditions, even more vividly than before, and the blood was more emphasized. An inner voice spoke. "Look at it well; it is wholly real and it will be so. You cannot doubt it." That winter someone asked me what I thought were the political prospects of the world in the near future. I replied that I had no thoughts on the matter, but that I saw rivers of blood.

I asked myself whether these visions pointed to a revolution, but could not really imagine anything of the sort. And so I drew the conclusion that they had to do with me myself, and decided that I was menaced by a psychosis. The idea of war did not occur to me at all.

Soon afterward, in the spring and early summer of 1914, I had a thrice-repeated dream that in the middle of summer an Arctic cold wave descended and froze the land to ice. I saw, for example, the whole of Lorraine and its canals frozen and the entire region totally deserted by human beings. All living green things were killed by frost. This dream came in April and May, and for the last time in June, 1914.

In the third dream frightful cold had again descended from out of the cosmos. This dream, however, had an unexpected end. There stood a leaf-bearing tree, but without fruit (my tree of life, I thought), whose leaves had been transformed by the effects of the frost into sweet grapes full of healing juices. I plucked the grapes and gave them to a large, waiting crowd...

On August 1 the world war broke out.
tarantula

Postby reversemigraine » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:59 am

How are the recent batch of Christopher Tolkien rewrites (Children of Hurin, Beren and Luthien, etc.)? I saw that The Fall of Gondolin is coming out in a couple of months.
reversemigraine

Postby Bartatua » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:40 am

ever just sit down and watch the extended lotr
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby aububs » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:50 am

here's a rip of the hobbit audiobook on 7x cassette tape (from '91) if anyone wants it. read by rob inglis.

it's p balm

Code: Select all
http://www.mediafire.com/file/de2voj2xf8hb9sv/J.R.R.+Tolkien+%28read+by+Rob+Inglis%29+-+%281991%29+The+Hobbit+7xCS.rar
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby john plainman » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:54 am

i found a box of that at the thrift store but it was missing one tape. thanks for the rip.
john plainman
Hello? Hello? Anybody home?

Postby Kenny » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:00 pm

r m wrote:How are the recent batch of Christopher Tolkien rewrites (Children of Hurin, Beren and Luthien, etc.)? I saw that The Fall of Gondolin is coming out in a couple of months.

I have Children of Hurin! I haven't read it
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage
Never forget, other opinions are available
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....