Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Bananafish » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:30 pm

Attempted this 10 (!) years ago and never made it through. Finally took another swing at it a few days ago and plowed through it. A bit gruelling in some parts but enjoyed it a lot. Higher highs perhaps, although overall I prefer the more concise, shorter books and short stories.

Will be reading this as a chaser.
Bananafish

Postby walt whitman » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:07 pm

Eyeball Kid wrote:Growing any bananas?

:D
walt whitman

Postby Kenny » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:35 pm

Malcolm Money wrote:
Kenny wrote:Gonna start this tomorrow:

Literally finished this yesterday, I liked this even more than Rings of Saturn

I didn't really love it... I thought the first half was really twee and it only got interesting to me in the second half. There were really powerful moments, like when he first gets to Prague and meets his old nanny, riding the train through Germany and feeling disassociated by how nice and orderly it is, and the really long sentence about Theresienstadt was great and urgent, but I didn't like how the book ended on a sort of nothing note.

I didn't hate it but I wanted to love it more

There's a funny bit in the book where they go to Tower Hamlets cemetary, which I walk through every day on the way to work, and the character Austerlitz describes walking through it when he was in a mental care facility and how he "Memorized the names and dates of everybody buried there" and while Tower Hamlets cemetary is fairly small it's the cemetary in London with the most people buried in it. 350,000 people are buried in it.
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage
Never forget, other opinions are available
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Kenny » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:59 pm

To copy Sebald's style, here is a picture of part of it:
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby madness and chaos » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:52 am

I'm reading Stoner, finally
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby Arturo » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:19 am

Anyone else read this? Was really looking forward to it as I love her other books. Left me a bit cold though
Arturo

Postby Kenny » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:18 am

I'm only 50 pages in but this is exactly what I want:

Most of the best books I've read this year have been written by women (The Corners That Held Them, The Towers of Trebizond, Left Hand of Darkness, Gilead, The Hearing Trumpet, Downbelow Station)
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Comrade Jeb » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:24 am

Feech La Manna wrote:I live in a corporate hellworld but at least the X Men and the Avengers are in the same movie
Comrade Jeb

Postby Ampersand » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:31 pm

11x more pumped for this now that I see it includes eleven uncollected stories!
Ampersand

Postby chad » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:37 pm

too lazy to quote but love vc andrews lol

i remember getting one of her books in elementary school from my UNCLE who had asked for recommendations for a precocious reader

nice

reread play it as it lays on the train this weekend and i appreciate it so much more now

i had read "black swans" by eve babitz basically right before and it's funny how much she pilfered (poorly) from didion
add me on habbo: ChadBraddington
chad

Postby chad » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:52 pm

poorly might be a bit harsh but it had veryy similar languid language + shallower content

"free tibet" is prob one of the only stories/memoirs i rly enjoyed
add me on habbo: ChadBraddington
chad

Postby abs » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:31 pm

this is super cool... never read any rick bass before but in this book he goes around visiting his writing mentors to cook them a meal with his own writing students. so far have read essays on his meals with denis johnson, jim harrison, amy hemple, peter mathiessen, david sedaris, to name a few. very enjoyable.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
abs
Queen Witch

Postby Barthes Starr » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:29 pm

rifled through these
Barthes Starr

Postby incoherent grunting » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:32 pm

I read a too big compendium of Rick Bass short stories and by the end I was pretty worn out, but I think in smaller doses he's pretty cool. That one in particular looks like it could be really interesting!
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby madness and chaos » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:37 pm

think this is after Stoner for me

Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby ahungbunny » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:42 pm

i really hate that i started with (and have only read) cronicas. everyone loves lispector but that collection is just not enjoyable
ahungbunny

Postby forest design » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:38 am

ahungbunny wrote:i really hate that i started with (and have only read) cronicas. everyone loves lispector but that collection is just not enjoyable

Yeah this was my experience until I picked up Near to the Wild Heart, fell in love, kept going and never looked back.
forest design

Postby oomphull » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:01 am

i finished up The Magicians Trilogy by Lev Grossman last week. I thought the whole journey was really fun, despite some daark moments. Now I'm still plodding through Robbie Robertson's book and Miles Davis' autobiography. I miss Fillory. Might do a reread.
oomphull

Postby RIXX » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:31 pm

really really enjoyed schulman's gentrification of the mind so moving onto this next

RIXX

Postby j-ol » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:17 pm

forest design wrote:
ahungbunny wrote:i really hate that i started with (and have only read) cronicas. everyone loves lispector but that collection is just not enjoyable

Yeah this was my experience until I picked up Near to the Wild Heart, fell in love, kept going and never looked back.

anybody feel like ranking the lispector novels?
j-ol

Postby trampoline » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:01 pm

little lulu wrote:What's a good Steve Erickson book to read besides Zeroville? I really liked Zeroville btw.

Man From Laramie wrote:Tours of the Black Clock is great.

Yeah I might have enjoyed Tours of the Black Clock even more than Zeroville. Started Rubicon Beach a few days ago and I'm enjoying it a lot as well. His writing style really does it for me.
trampoline

Postby Barthes Starr » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:04 pm

j-ol wrote:
forest design wrote:

anybody feel like ranking the lispector novels?

from what i've read (the three above + lots of short stories), would definitely put G.H. at the top. it pretty much immediately secured a spot in my all time fav list
Barthes Starr

Postby Legion » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:19 pm

This is really good, though the conversations and questions involved won't exactly be alien to people who follow this sort of thing.

Stuntman: Hipinion for me is like a choose-your-own adventure where every topic is a direct path to the depressed thread.
Legion

Postby cruiserbob » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:29 pm

anyone ever get into the 2nd volume of The Vorrh trilogy (Erstwhile)? I see the 3rd book is coming out soon. I enjoyed the first book, wondering if i should carry on with the set...
and that's that.
cruiserbob

Postby Legion » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:24 pm

I know chowder julius read the Erstwhile and has some opinions. I liked it well enough, though I still think its racial politics are a little weird coming from a white author, and the second volume felt more quickly written, with a bit less attention to sentence-crafting. It evolves the mythos of the first book in several ways, and by the end you're kind of intrigued to see whatever he's building up to in the third book.

Stuntman: Hipinion for me is like a choose-your-own adventure where every topic is a direct path to the depressed thread.
Legion

Postby snuggle » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:16 pm

SLAPSTICK by Vonnegut.
It’s ok. He’s an easy read. I remember reading this in high school so it feels comforting to revisit. It’s just his humor falls flat for me...I love satire and dark humor but this one isn’t turning the gears. But I can’t put it down, like an old friend I’ve little in common with now. Hi ho.

Love’s Executioner Irvin Yalom
He writes about therapy, he writes about therapizing, he writes about his patients. If you have no interest in any, stay away. If you do, jump right in.

Unsettled Dust by Robert Aickman
This one I’m about to crack open late tonight.

The INFP survival guide
Helpful to learn more about INFP, but hasn’t helped me survive in this harsh extroverted planet
snuggle

Postby snuggle » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:48 pm

Ok, after reading more of Slapstick I take it back. I just made a psychological symbolic connection in the book that I was missing out on that makes the book brilliant, and I love it now. Hi ho.
snuggle

Postby the upland trout » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:55 pm

Venusia was pretty good! It reads like a somewhat more experimental and somewhat more controlled Philip K Dick. It could have used a more thorough proofreading.... Will definitely read the other books in the series.

Reading:

I've lost track of how many times I've read this. Still one of my favorite books.

the upland trout

Postby madness and chaos » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:07 am

I love Stoner... it's beautiful in it's way... I'm exactly halfway through... but it's bleak and very sad. I didn't know it was so sad.
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby mercenaries of slime » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:35 am

mercenaries of slime

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....