Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Viz » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:44 pm

Finished the Hearts of Stone quest, was about half way through the Blood & Wine stuff, but then I read about how you actually meet Gunter o'Dimm right from the start.

I then decided that I would start another game from the beginning. This time out, I'm concentrating on just getting the best gear right away and building my abilities properly. Last time, I was all about the role playing and just wandering around and letting things happen. Now I'm just hitting those questions marks on purpose. I think I'm level 7 already, just finished the Keira Metz quest and am starting the Baron one now. Also, turning off the HUD entirely and just letting the environment soak in everywhere is awesome.

This is literally one of those games where I try not to recommend it to anyone cause if they hate it, it would break up friendships.
Viz

Postby domesticwhite » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:54 pm

Viz you got me thinking about doing the same thing :D
domesticwhite

Postby iambic » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:24 pm

Viz wrote:Finished the Hearts of Stone quest, was about half way through the Blood & Wine stuff, but then I read about how you actually meet Gunter o'Dimm right from the start.

I then decided that I would start another game from the beginning. This time out, I'm concentrating on just getting the best gear right away and building my abilities properly. Last time, I was all about the role playing and just wandering around and letting things happen. Now I'm just hitting those questions marks on purpose. I think I'm level 7 already, just finished the Keira Metz quest and am starting the Baron one now. Also, turning off the HUD entirely and just letting the environment soak in everywhere is awesome.

This is literally one of those games where I try not to recommend it to anyone cause if they hate it, it would break up friendships.

you meet GO'D in the very first inn and it rulesToggle Spoiler
iambic

Postby Viz » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:49 pm

Yeah, I found him. (Is GO'D a don don? Is he?)

Is he from the other series? I probably did talk to him the first time I played and just forgot about him when he finally reappears. Of course, the entire conversation holds more meaning now, which is really really cool, in that he wasn't just some random crazy person.
Viz

Postby Fullscreen » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:50 pm

JongleurGrey wrote:i just got to kaer morhen and it's amazing how much pathos they can inject to even the little fetch quests

i hated lambert before this but now i have a much deeper appreciation for him. this is a game that loves its characters

ok one problem i've had is that there's just SO MUCH SHIT to do that i start fairly involved quest lines, get distracted, come back to them a week later kinda forgetting what the stakes were.

lambert's quest with the witcher-turned-slaver for instance, once i finally got around to confronting the guy i had to look up who he was and what he'd done to decide if killing him was actually a good idea because i'd forgotten that the slaver's den i'd cleared out on skellige was his thing.
Last edited by Fullscreen on Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart
Fullscreen

Postby Fullscreen » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:01 pm

dmitry wrote:damn Fullscreen, you're level 18 and have all that gear? I'm 18 and I have barely found any recipes. I'm actually not sure how the treasure hunts work at all.

yeah i dunno i've just spent a lot of time clearing ? locations, bandit camps, smuggler's caches etc. read every little thing you pick up to make sure the treasure hunt is actually activated.

and i've found plenty of superior/enhanced plans (and the treasure hunts that go with them) that aren't useful yet as they're 15 or 20 levels ahead of me. i didn't even craft the feline and griffin stuff until a couple days ago - i'd been collecting the regional sets that came with the free DLC packs.

so just do a bunch of stuff and steal everything, i guess?
Fullscreen

Postby internetfriend » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:22 pm

Fullscreen wrote:
JongleurGrey wrote:i just got to kaer morhen and it's amazing how much pathos they can inject to even the little fetch quests

i hated lambert before this but now i have a much deeper appreciation for him. this is a game that loves its characters

ok one problem i've had is that there's just SO MUCH SHIT to do that i start fairly involved quest lines, get distracted, come back to them a week later kinda forgetting what the stakes were.

lambert's quest with the witcher-turned-slaver for instance, once i finally got around to confronting the guy i had to look up who he was and what he'd done to decide if killing him was actually a good idea because i'd forgotten that the slaver's den i'd cleared out on skellige was his thing.

funnily this is actually the only quest in the game that this happened to me with. stuck out to me at the time, too. had basically no context for him by the time i was confronting him
iambic wrote:no don't make those posts
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby sailormoonvillain666@aol.com » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:23 pm

i think 'character creation' is give or take depending on the strength of the writing but goddang
remember to please don't feed the trolls ;)
sailormoonvillain666@aol.com
(◠‿◠✿)(◠‿◠✿) kvlt (✿◠‿◠)(✿◠‿◠)

Postby sailormoonvillain666@aol.com » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:23 pm

about once a week i think how in like the past five yrs the only ~non indie visual novel~ games that ive really loved have been witcher 3, life is strange and yakuza
remember to please don't feed the trolls ;)
sailormoonvillain666@aol.com
(◠‿◠✿)(◠‿◠✿) kvlt (✿◠‿◠)(✿◠‿◠)

Postby iambic » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:32 pm

internetfriend wrote:
Fullscreen wrote:

funnily this is actually the only quest in the game that this happened to me with. stuck out to me at the time, too. had basically no context for him by the time i was confronting him

I think it's because it area hops, right? you get the quest in novigrad but have to travel to skellige to do it. and it's possible you put off doing the latter for many, many hours.
iambic

Postby iambic » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:41 pm

Viz wrote:Yeah, I found him. (Is GO'D a don don? Is he?)

Is he from the other series? I probably did talk to him the first time I played and just forgot about him when he finally reappears. Of course, the entire conversation holds more meaning now, which is really really cool, in that he wasn't just some random crazy person.

nah he's the mirror man, so the opposite! there are lots of cutesy references to him being the devil, right down to people literally saying stuff like "What the devil!" when he appears. plus bargain at the crossroads. but I'm glad he's mostly treated as this weird primal force beyond explanation.Toggle Spoiler that entire questline actually sold me on its fairytale aspects, which is rare for games, where that shit is usually twee and dumb.

there's another reference to him in Blood and Wine (Le Cage au Feu quest), and also this is cool: https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/commen ... as_in_the/
iambic

Postby Viz » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:41 pm

Fullscreen wrote:lambert's quest with the witcher-turned-slaver for instance, once i finally got around to confronting the guy i had to look up who he was and what he'd done to decide if killing him was actually a good idea because i'd forgotten that the slaver's den i'd cleared out on skellige was his thing.

I both love and hate that you can "finish" a quest without knowing it.

When I found out you can discover the corpse of Birna Bran chained to some rockToggle Spoiler after the quest is done, I got anxious about what else I was missing.
Viz

Postby Fullscreen » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:00 pm

iambic wrote:I think it's because it area hops, right? you get the quest in novigrad but have to travel to skellige to do it. and it's possible you put off doing the latter for many, many hours.

yeah 100%. i didn't go to skellige for this quest, i went to skellige just to see it and it became my favorite area of the game right away. i don't remember what quest i returned to velen for, maybe hattori's sword thing?
Fullscreen

Postby Fullscreen » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:11 pm

been thinking about all the re-releases skyrim has had over the years for new consoles, VR, whatever, and it's such a fucking joke what that game is compared to this.

like don't even show me another elder scrolls or fallout game until bethesda has completely overhauled their approach to game design (a new engine wouldn't hurt either).
Fullscreen

Postby father of two » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:56 pm

is this game more fun with a gamepad than keyboard/mouse on pc? we got gifted some dark souls games that are pretty much unplayable with the keyboard and mouse and figure it might be better for this too. i feel like being able to lean back in my chair while exploring would be nice
father of two

Postby dmitry » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:40 pm

father of two wrote:is this game more fun with a gamepad than keyboard/mouse on pc? we got gifted some dark souls games that are pretty much unplayable with the keyboard and mouse and figure it might be better for this too. i feel like being able to lean back in my chair while exploring would be nice

this game does not even seem playable with a keyboard and mouse!
dmitry

Postby draw » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:42 pm

iambic wrote:
Viz wrote:Yeah, I found him. (Is GO'D a don don? Is he?)

nah he's the mirror man, so the opposite! there are lots of cutesy references to him being the devil, right down to people literally saying stuff like "What the devil!" when he appears. plus bargain at the crossroads. but I'm glad he's mostly treated as this weird primal force beyond explanation.Toggle Spoiler that entire questline actually sold me on its fairytale aspects, which is rare for games, where that shit is usually twee and dumb.

there's another reference to him in Blood and Wine (Le Cage au Feu quest), and also this is cool: https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/commen ... as_in_the/

GERALT LIKE
draw

Postby Bartatua » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:18 pm

i played all the witcher games with kb and mouse and it was fine
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby nice pass » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:49 am

Did anyone else here clear out all the "?" locations in Skellige? I'm trying to do it now but looting all the sunken treasure is taking forever. Any tips? These mucknixers are annoying as hell. At least with the flying fucks I can fight them in my boat.
You guessed it, Frank Stallone
nice pass
ok

Postby iambic » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:55 am

I would not do that, at least for the ones at sea

getting in and out of the boat to dive for treasure chests with basically nothing in them is not fun

that said you should be able to instakill crossbow the drowners? I think?
iambic

Postby thrasher » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:04 am

I spent all of last Sunday doing exactly that. I didn’t use a boat - I almost never used a boat or Roach in this game...

Done with this game now and idk what to do with my life
thrasher

Postby sympathy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:26 am

thats why god invented NG+ br0
sympathy
ok

Postby Bartatua » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:37 am

for ng+ can you still start your build from scratch?
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby internetfriend » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:38 am

well you keep your level but you can respect with one of them potion
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby Bartatua » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:28 am

Whoa so you end up with an insane super build as you continue leveling?
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby internetfriend » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:48 am

i guess? it's been a year so i cant totally remember. i think...given how the skill-equipping system works, i felt like i wasn't going to get much stronger from where i was when i finished b&w, but maybe that isn't right
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby Bartatua » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:52 am

No i think you might be right. There's some kind of limiting factor that I don't remember
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby internetfriend » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:54 am

you can only have 12 skills equipped at a time, and i think you can put up to 5 points in each, so i think it's that, like, regardless of build your strength really stops increasing after level 60
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby dmitry » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:36 pm

it's a testament to this game's other qualities that its incredible movement system (even after the "alternative movement" patch) gets a pass
there are mod cars in TrackMania with tighter handling than Geralt
dmitry

Postby Viz » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:40 pm

I think by starting an NG+ game, dont the enemies similarly start at high level as well, so you can get messed up by a single wolf.

I guess you get used to Geralt's movement, but yeah, having to tap the controller so he moves JUST SO to position himself in front of the trigger is dumb.
Viz

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....