Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby powderfinger » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:40 am

I also highly recommend going to Yodobashi Camera and spending some time playing with their ridiculous audiophile speaker and headphone demo setups. That store is fucking insane.
powderfinger

Postby dusky » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:21 pm

really wish i stocked up more on these assorted sour gummies
dusky

Postby drudge » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:22 pm

deadbass wrote:Thanks for posting that, drudge. Someone told me about it a long time ago, but I forgot to write it down. Going next month!

if it was a boarder, probably shost.
perhaps at some point i was an energy vampire
drudge

Postby endless dave » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:45 pm

powderfinger wrote:The paradox of Japanese is that as a spoken language it seems very attainable but learning even an elementary level of kanji seems soooo hard.

I don't know if I could handle living in a tiny apartment here. I can imagine running some kind of small hostel/hotel in a quiet spot to be the ideal life though.

having at one point been conversationally fluent and what I think would probably be at a middle school level of kanji reading, it's really like any language- regular practice and constant use, preferably real life. you're right about the speaking. the grammar is easy enough, the vocabulary has enough loan words to make the work load not too hard. the kanji in particular was the biggest part of practice, true- it wasn't until living there that kanji finally started to click more. writing them was matter of memorization but the reading was what I found the most difficult part. the two pronunciations things that had some guidelines but many exceptions would drive me mad. but seeing it in use and not just as memorization and semi-regular tests gave you context. having furigana as a possible crutch when reading manga or whatnot also helped.

I was sort of, I don't know, saddened by my friend there who lives in a suburb with no white people, has a Japanese wife, and interacts day to day with only Japanese speakers, but his job was in English and his clients all speaking it too, that his grasp of the language was situational at best. I guess that's a product of his living circumstances (he has little beyond his day to day interactions that are all mostly the same) but I found when I was there, even spending my time in class in English and time with friends about 75% English, I forced myself to join college groups and went to places with little chance to speak English and it paid off within a few weeks. gives you context and more natural flexibility, which also allows you to not feel so tense around "not knowing" things because it's a living language with a big place for slang and informal use that's often built around losing words and particles
endless dave

Postby babycrime » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:28 pm

I'm getting in on May 15th at night, leaving the 22nd at night too.

still trawling this thread. this is all so great
babycrime

Postby powderfinger » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:11 pm

We went to a baseball game at the Tokyo Dome for our last night and it was one of the most fun things ever.

BYOB (with a Lawson's perfectly stationed for stocking up) and they provide cups and drink carriers for emptying the cans you bring in. Of course you can avoid this by bringing in sake juiceboxes or, like the old guys in suits sitting in front of us, boxes of wine and plastic wine glasses. Vendors wandering the stands with kegs strapped to their backs. The Giants were up like 10-1 in the bottom of the 8th and people looked at us like savages for leaving lol.
powderfinger

Postby orenji » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:47 pm

I went down to kamakura this morning to be filmed for an apple commercial in front of the big Buddha.
かかってこい!
orenji

Postby powderfinger » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:09 pm

I hope his big sandals make it into the commercial.
powderfinger

Postby babycrime » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:21 pm

babycrime wrote:I'm getting in on May 15th at night, leaving the 22nd at night too.

still trawling this thread. this is all so great

well I got my time off approved today so it's really happening. Sort of bummed I get in the 15th around 7, so it's kind of a 16th-22nd trip. Since it's so short, I think my plan is to stay somewhere in Shinjuku, go to the definite places I have so far (metro gov observation deck, parasite museum, golden gai, whatever dorkstores i can find, drink in a park), and just explore otherwise. Maybe take a day trip outside the city? I dunno, lots of possibility.

I'm a little intimidated going solo and my already limited japanese is laughably decayed, but there's some good posts in here so I'm not feeling too bad.
Last edited by babycrime on Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
babycrime

Postby powderfinger » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:39 pm

Kamakura was a really nice day trip for us. You can take the JR Shonan Shinjuku Line straight there.* Get off at the Kita-Kamakura Station, visit some of the temples in the vicinity (Engaku-ji was one of my favorite temples of the trip; I regret that we did not go to Kenchō-ji), do the Daibatsu hiking course to the... Daibatsu, take the electric railway into Kamakura, visit Tsurugaoka Hachiman-gū, and be back in Tokyo at a reasonable time. The Daibatsu, town, and shrine will be crowded in the afternoon but we had a wonderfully serene morning at the temples and on the hike.

I considered quite a few options for getting out of Tokyo for the day and Kamakura definitely seemed to offer the most in terms of temples/shrines and scenery with the least time lost to transportation.

*you have to make sure you get the right train though, most of them don't go all the way to Kamakura...but you can always transfer to the JR Yokosuka line at Yokohama or wherever
Last edited by powderfinger on Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
powderfinger

Postby bongo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:42 pm

can someone get me the fictional cav empt shirt please
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby bill » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:47 am

holy shit I don't wanna step on the scales until I've done like a juice fast or some other kinda extreme bullshit for a week or two after this trip, lmao

worth it as hell though
bill
ok

Postby bill » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:28 am

i also keep fantasising about walking into a pachinko parlour and screaming at the top of my lungs to see if anyone would notice
bill
ok

Postby powderfinger » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:40 am

bill wrote:holy shit I don't wanna step on the scales until I've done like a juice fast or some other kinda extreme bullshit for a week or two after this trip, lmao

worth it as hell though

"Well, I guess I walked a lot today..." was my excuse for buying two Manneken waffles each time I passed through Kyoto Station
powderfinger

Postby The Unblinking Eye » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:17 pm

Back in the US. Japan was great and would love to go again sometime.
The Unblinking Eye

Postby deadbass » Sat May 05, 2018 11:17 am

My wife and I are flying out tonight to Tokyo for 3 weeks. Indescribably excited right now!

We're doing:

1) Tokyo
2) Magome-Tsumago walk
3) Kanazawa
4) Kyoto (and Kansai region stuff)
5) Naoshima
6) Onomichi island hopping bike ride
7) Hiroshima/Miyajima
8) Fukuoka
9) Hakone and then flying home

Thank you everyone for all the awesome suggestions in the thread.
deadbass

Postby powderfinger » Sat May 05, 2018 12:18 pm

that trail looks awesome; definitely going to keep that in mind for our next trip
powderfinger

Postby deadbass » Mon May 07, 2018 6:40 am

Just arrived a few hours ago and after navigating a torrential downpour ducked into a hole in the wall ramen shop which was playing cool jazz and had probably the best bowl of ramen in my life.

I’ve basically just had a dumb grin on my face since my plane landed.
deadbass

Postby heinous » Mon May 07, 2018 6:50 am

I’m half way through my 2nd japan trip and having the time of my life. Currently in hakone and it’s been raining non stop all day so probably won’t get to see much. If anyone wants to hang out in Tokyo over the next week hit me up
heinous

Postby babycrime » Mon May 14, 2018 8:40 am

about to catch my plane to vancouver, then on to haneda.

deadbass wrote:I’ve basically just had a dumb grin on my face since my plane landed.

feeling this way already
babycrime

Postby The Unblinking Eye » Wed May 16, 2018 5:39 pm

Made a video of my trip. It's the first real thing I've shot and edited, so it probably sucks, but whatever.
The Unblinking Eye

Postby babycrime » Thu May 17, 2018 12:29 pm

took two days to get my dumb foreigner moment when I accidentally piggybacked through the rail ticket gate. I didn't notice my ic card didn't catch. So the downline fare adjuster guy didn't seem to believe I rode one for one stop. It probably looked like I was trying to skip fare.

But otherwise its been great. I'm staying in a residential area of shibuya and I've already got lost in the neighborhoods. 4 days left here, then staying kabukicho for my last night.
babycrime

Postby babycrime » Sun May 20, 2018 6:50 am

When I die bury me with canned highballs.

Sorry about my dumb anecdote above. I'm staying until Friday now.
babycrime

Postby babycrime » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:48 am

well here's a triple post from babycrime

I got back last week and it feels like a long time ago. 10 days went by in a blur

I'd recommend the parasite museum in meguro. Beautiful walk from the station too. Racco's Bar near hatagaya station is really cool too. Tell them nama beer boy sent you.

I went solo for the first time intl and didn't know anybody. Made new friends/penpals and everyone is kind. Only negative I'd say was when I walked into a bar in golden gai and a bunch of woo bros followed me in like I was a scout for them. There's some cool tourists but some were bad guests. It was sad.

Anyway, I'll cut my diary post here and just say every time I'm on an escalator now I'm gonna get so mad when people stand in the middle and not on the side.

The Unblinking Eye wrote:

Made a video of my trip. It's the first real thing I've shot and edited, so it probably sucks, but whatever.

This is helping me ty
babycrime

Postby Pris » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:43 am

It's a dream of mine to go see a wrestling show at Korakuen Hall. Plus if I'm ever over there, I'll want to see some bands at the UFO Club.
Pris

Postby Guffaw » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:00 am

went to Naoshima the other week, I highly recommend it if you're into modern art/architecture and chilled out islands. it provides a different experience from both the typical 'big city' and 'traditional' japan tourist experiences too. my favourite thing on the whole island though was the bathhouse (http://benesse-artsite.jp/en/art/naoshimasento.html), which looks like this on the outside:

and this on the inside (where you obviously can't take pictures):

and best of all, they play side A of Fripp and Eno's Evening Star on loop in the bathing area. I went there 3 days in a row instead of showering at my hostel
Guffaw

Postby babycrime » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:05 pm

Guffaw wrote:went to Naoshima the other week, I highly recommend it if you're into modern art/architecture and chilled out islands. it provides a different experience from both the typical 'big city' and 'traditional' japan tourist experiences too. my favourite thing on the whole island though was the bathhouse (http://benesse-artsite.jp/en/art/naoshimasento.html), which looks like this on the outside:

and this on the inside (where you obviously can't take pictures):

and best of all, they play side A of Fripp and Eno's Evening Star on loop in the bathing area. I went there 3 days in a row instead of showering at my hostel

well yeah I am interested in cool islands. that looks and sounds great!

I'm all freaking out about seeing tokyo and there's plenty more.
babycrime

Postby Nacho Novo » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:13 pm

Pris wrote:It's a dream of mine to go see a wrestling show at Korakuen Hall.

It will absolutely live up to your dreams.
Nacho Novo

Postby The Fool on the Hill » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:24 pm

I liked Teshima more than Naoshima overall, it felt more naturey and less touristy.
The Fool on the Hill

Postby Kenny » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:58 am

If I was going to Tokyo for 2 weeks would that be enough time to reasonably go to another city/part of Japan and if so which part should that be?

I was thinking Kyoto or Osaka?
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....