Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby lockheed's old roommate » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:18 am

powderfinger wrote:Any particular recommendations for bars in Osaka?

i loved drinking sake at the izakayas in namba, cinquecento is a great (and cheap) spot to drink at as well. rooftop bar oo was hella fun too
jeffrey wrote:
lockheed's old roommate wrote:"up yours children!"
lockheed's old roommate

Postby lockheed's old roommate » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:23 am

where's move d playing at? grand cafe? thats a good place to dance/drink too
jeffrey wrote:
lockheed's old roommate wrote:"up yours children!"
lockheed's old roommate

Postby powderfinger » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:43 am

He's playing at Circus. Thanks for the reccs - CinqueCentro looks like a perfect spot to pregame.
powderfinger

Postby dusky » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:07 am

I made it to Osaka Castle peak cherry bloom last week and boy was it gorgeous. Can’t believe I skipped that whole area the last 2 times I was in Osaka.

It’s so sad watching the blossoms disappear :cry:
dusky

Postby powderfinger » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:44 am

we were bummed that we missed most of them in Ueno Park (still saw lots around Tokyo in general), but people were still in full celebration mode so it was an awesome atmosphere anyway

tbh seeing them disappear is a nice experience too since it drives home how legit special they are
powderfinger

Postby dusky » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:46 am

Yeah
dusky

Postby powderfinger » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:38 am

I absolutely loved the Tokyo National Museum (main building - we skipped the others to save our feet a bit) and the National Museum of Modern Art because of how they were curated. Very focused galleries with illuminating descriptions of the works that taught me a lot about Japanese history and culture. I also realized how absent Japanese art is from any other museums I've been too. They were both a totally different kind of museum experience for me.

The war documentation gallery at the National Museum of Modern Art was overwhelming.
powderfinger

Postby dusky » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:22 am

God damn. Leaving Japan is real rough every time. I’m going to miss this place more than home.

Goodbye Golden Gai. Goodbye Den Den Town. Goodbye Akihabara .. so long, Mandarakes .. :cry:

Stay well, FamilyMart.
dusky

Postby powderfinger » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:22 am

At 5am last Saturday morning, on the way home from Circus in Osaka, I lost my wallet with a pretty large sum of cash. Most probably left it in the taxi, since I took a bill out to pay the fare, but I can't be sure. It is a brand new wallet handmade for my by boarder frito pie country, so I was pretty distraught. The people at the hostel told me to go to the nearest police station and file a report, so I did. That in itself was kind of a heartwarming experience since Japanese police stations seem to be reasonably friendly places. I traded my phone back and forth with the clerk using Google Translate to get my info across.

I felt optimistic that the taxi driver would turn it in, but by today had pretty much given up on it. This morning we were on the train up to Kurama north of Kyoto to hike, visit the temple, and hit the onsen (side note: good god this is an amazing half day trip out of Kyoto to escape the crowds; just do it). I got an email from the hostel saying that the police called them to report the wallet found. We go ahead with our day, which was impossibly beautiful, and then in less than THREE HOURS I am able to make the round trip from an onsen in a tiny mountain town to Osaka and back to Kyoto to get my wallet with every yen accounted for. Part of the trip was covered by my JR pass but without one it would be been less than 3000 yen.

Now I'm gonna eat amazing ramen and drink beer walking around one of the most gorgeous cities on the planet. I love this country.
powderfinger

Postby sailormoonvillain666@aol.com » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:25 am

my facebook atm is just 'THIS TIME LAST YEAR' sakura pics and im getting teary. im aiming to head back within the next year as i need a final fantasy rollercoaster shirt so fuckin bad.
remember to please don't feed the trolls ;)
sailormoonvillain666@aol.com
(◠‿◠✿)(◠‿◠✿) kvlt (✿◠‿◠)(✿◠‿◠)

Postby powderfinger » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:30 am

I have absolutely no interest in going on any other big overseas trips (Mexico doesn't count) until I come back here and see more of the country. Definitely going to have some fare alerts for this fall and this time next year. I'm sad we missed the sakura peak, even though we didn't originally plan the trip around it.
powderfinger

Postby sailormoonvillain666@aol.com » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:36 am

i get bullied often for whenever someone is going on holiday and asks if i want to come im just 'ahhhhh heck i would but thats like the plane ticket to japan price' and its my default unit of measurement and idk if anything is worth the trade off.

the main cbd of where i live doesnt have a single vintage clothing shop atm i am dying ;___;

Postby sailormoonvillain666@aol.com » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:38 am

s a m e

been sneaking in visual kei to the goth night

Postby qaanaaq » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:38 am

If you're in to punk/hc hokage in Osaka was one of the highlights of my trup
qaanaaq

going to wear some gothic lolita tomorrow for friday the 13th and sob

going to wear some gothic lolita tomorrow for friday the 13th and sob

Postby powderfinger » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:59 am

Bought a pair of glasses at JiNS tonight, went down a floor to Yodobashi Camera and goofed around with an interactive lineup of 50+ different pairs of audiophile speakers connected to 20+ different amps, went back up stairs to get the glasses, walked home drinking Strong Zero.

Japan just keeps on giving.
powderfinger

Postby The Unblinking Eye » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:10 am

I'm leaving for Japan tomorrow. So nervous but so excited.
The Unblinking Eye

Postby powderfinger » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:24 am

I was nervous too but it was totally unfounded. You're gonna have a great time.
powderfinger

Postby Autarch » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:33 am

yeah, i was nervous but it absolutely 100% ruled. I just got home like a week and a half ago and I'm already jonesing to get back.
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby endless dave » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:51 pm

I’m on the Narita Express right now heading back to America and this trip actually genuinely started me thinking about and looking for jobs in Tokyo. Have a few friends here looking for me but I’m barely conversational in Japanese, let alone fluent, so it’s gonna be pretty narrow. My friend doing English teaching in Kyoto said it’s pretty easy to get moderately well paying money there but even without good prospects in America, I can’t really justify going to another country for a few years to teach English. I’d come back probably further back in my real career if I did that. But a real job is something I’d do in a heartbeat. Girlfriend is on board too. Encouraging it even
endless dave

Postby powderfinger » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:57 am

The paradox of Japanese is that as a spoken language it seems very attainable but learning even an elementary level of kanji seems soooo hard.

I don't know if I could handle living in a tiny apartment here. I can imagine running some kind of small hostel/hotel in a quiet spot to be the ideal life though.
powderfinger

Postby dusky » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:10 pm

powderfinger wrote:At 5am last Saturday morning, on the way home from Circus in Osaka, I lost my wallet with a pretty large sum of cash.

knew there was a very slim chance this story would end without Japan somehow getting you back your lost wallet. glad it worked out!

I found the coolest patch/embroidered goods shop by Tofukuji in Kyoto that I highly recommend to anyone visiting.

among my many treasures acquired this time around is a Tamagotchi Mix. i really regretted leaving without one last year, and i figure this will help me learn some Japanese.
Last edited by dusky on Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dusky

Postby bongo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:12 pm

anyone in tokyo right now wanna get me the new ttt shirt from cav empt’s brick and mortar
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby dusky » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:14 pm

fuck. wish i'd known about that place.
dusky

Postby drudge » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:08 pm

if you're in tokyo and don't make it to lion cafe you'll regret it
http://blog.uchujin.co.uk/2010/09/lion- ... 9D-secret/
perhaps at some point i was an energy vampire
drudge

Postby deadbass » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:57 pm

Thanks for posting that, drudge. Someone told me about it a long time ago, but I forgot to write it down. Going next month!
deadbass

Postby The Unblinking Eye » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:43 am

Landed and am on the narita express heading into Tokyo.
The Unblinking Eye

Postby powderfinger » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:37 am

drudge wrote:if you're in tokyo and don't make it to lion cafe you'll regret it
http://blog.uchujin.co.uk/2010/09/lion- ... 9D-secret/

Yep, we went here at the end of a long day to rest and drink coffee and it was sublime.
powderfinger

PreviousNext

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.