Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby pauline walnuts » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:44 pm

banquise did drop off in quality for a while but in the last year i've been many times and think they're the best in the city right now.

if you go to schwartz later on you can beat the line/tourists and their sandwich is still one of the best options -- celine hasn't changed much about it. i hear roi de smoked meat is a good alternative.

would add:
coffee: dispatch, crew cafe (if you're in the old port), myriade (all 4 locations)
ice cream: kem coba, meu meu, havre aux glaces (in jean-talon market)
nice dinner: larry's, loic, le bremner, maison publique

wouldn't bother with: au pied de cochon, club chaise et peche, st-viateur bagel cafe on mont-royal

brasserie dunham is one of the better quebec breweries, you can see which deps/bars stock them here:
http://brasseriedunham.com/points-de-vente-2/
pauline walnuts

Postby tricksforchips » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:50 pm

Oh yeah, for Schwartz... just go to the take out line and eat it in a park. Will be a much quicker experience.

Yeah Roi du Smoked meat rules!!!! I live right across from it and don't eat it nearly enough. Might grab the family deal tonight.
tricksforchips

Postby The Fool on the Hill » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:07 pm

trigross wrote:sort-of related question, but any reccs in quebec city? my partner and I are spending a week there in july

Patente et machin is the best meal I had in quebec, it's really really good.
The Fool on the Hill

Postby Egads » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:50 pm

Vegans/Vegetarians: Aux Vivres, Lola Rosa, definitely wanna second Nilufar, Résonance.

And Olimpico for coffee.
Egads

Postby preambling » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:48 am

nilufar is great but it's not really the kind of thing i'd recommend to someone from out of town. It's just like, incredibly cheap sustenance
preambling

Postby murderhorn » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:16 am

i really want to try Chez Tousignant which is like an old Quebecois diner run by important chefs that make their own buns and hot dogs and stuff - https://www.instagram.com/cheztousignant/.

after the bagel spots Arepera Du Plateau was always my favourite place to eat in Montreal maybe just cuz I'd never had an arepa before getting one there. it's a cheap place to eat in Plateau area anyways.

apparently Boulangerie Clarke closed in 2015 :(

go to Drawn & Quarterly if you like books and indie/arty comics.
murderhorn

Postby murderhorn » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:24 am

Ed Atkins show at DHC just opened too http://dhc-art.org/
murderhorn

Postby drum machine » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:12 am

gonna be spending a few days in montreal before i start a trip around the states, pretty excited about it. got plenty of food recs noted down thanks to this thread.

what are some good spots for a lone traveler to grab a drink? montreal seems like a good drinking city but i don't wanna be some lonesome guy in a bar packed with groups. also, what are some good recs for places to go walking? i love walking
drum machine

Postby clockout » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:52 am

pauline walnuts wrote:wouldn't bother with: au pied de cochon, club chaise et peche, st-viateur bagel cafe on mont-royal

pied de cochon, too gimmicky?

and why not st viateur? Do you just mean Fairmount is the way to go

edit: nevermind, you are just saying dont bother with the 2nd location...
clockout

Postby Kevin McCallister » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:57 am

drum machine wrote:gonna be spending a few days in montreal before i start a trip around the states, pretty excited about it. got plenty of food recs noted down thanks to this thread.

what are some good spots for a lone traveler to grab a drink? montreal seems like a good drinking city but i don't wanna be some lonesome guy in a bar packed with groups. also, what are some good recs for places to go walking? i love walking

If you're in the downtown core Grumpys is definitely the place to go. Bluegrass / Liberal Arts bar, the staff seem surly but they're friendly as hell. I go there a lot just to kick it with the regulars and strangers. I haven't found another bar with a similar vibe that isn't full of total degenerates.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
Kevin McCallister

Postby pauline walnuts » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:09 am

clockout wrote:pied de cochon, too gimmicky?

i would have dinner at these places first: joe beef, vin papillon (both VP+JB are great and pretty different), nora gray, le filet, le bremner, maison publique, larry's, loic and foxy.

apdc opened a seasonal sugar shack/apple shack a while ago and it seems that's where all the attention goes. the montreal restaurant seems to have some steady hands there to play the hits, so if you have any time and money left after trying those others and you really want duck in a can then by all means go for it.
pauline walnuts

Postby pauline walnuts » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:12 am

also chez tousignant is awesome
pauline walnuts

Postby tricksforchips » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:13 am

drum machine wrote:gonna be spending a few days in montreal before i start a trip around the states, pretty excited about it. got plenty of food recs noted down thanks to this thread.

Depends where you're staying!

Casa Del Popolo isn't too busy on weeknights or nights without a big show and has good beer and a nice vibe. KevMac is right about Grumpys, too.

In Chinatown there's a great place called Macao that has $2.50 beers but it's pretty depressing.
tricksforchips

Postby drum machine » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:02 am

thanks guys, these places sound perfect! oh and il be staying pretty much slap bang in the middle of downtown on rue bishop
drum machine

Postby gentleman » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:37 pm

pauline walnuts wrote:
clockout wrote:pied de cochon, too gimmicky?

i would have dinner at these places first: joe beef, vin papillon (both VP+JB are great and pretty different), nora gray, le filet, le bremner, maison publique, larry's, loic and foxy.

apdc opened a seasonal sugar shack/apple shack a while ago and it seems that's where all the attention goes. the montreal restaurant seems to have some steady hands there to play the hits, so if you have any time and money left after trying those others and you really want duck in a can then by all means go for it.

i went to apdc 5-6 years ago after going to joe beef and the other spots and it felt like a lesser version with little vision. its good...but HEAVY...whereas Joe Beef is HEAVY but also has some creative bits and is a nice, fun spot for dinner, apdc just felt like over top for no other reason.

le filet actually was completely forgettable for me. i think their signature dish is tuna tartare. nice spot near the park but i barely remember what i ate.

my wife and i promised to not go to montreal anymore because we are a bit bored after several years but we only really loved the joe beef/liverpool house/ le vin papillon over every other restaurant in town.
gentleman

Postby Kevin McCallister » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:57 am

drum machine wrote:thanks guys, these places sound perfect! oh and il be staying pretty much slap bang in the middle of downtown on rue bishop

Oh so you're probably on the same block as Grumpys.
If you see a dude with a black jean jacket and a Stoic Violence pin, say hi.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
Kevin McCallister

Postby clockout » Thu May 11, 2017 6:12 pm

recap:

- le vin papillon and liverpool house were both fucking awesome and highly recommended. We got there when they opened and needed no reservations.
- schwartz's deli is in fact tourist as fuck but those were some awesome smoked meats. the line wasnt even a big deal since they cart you in and out so quickly.
- fairmount bagel wins hands down over st. viateur. I don't even get why it's a debate.
- biiru is a cool japanese place with great food and good drinks and i recommend everyone checks that shit out for a bite if nothing else. good okonomiyaki, if youre into that.
- olive & gourmando was good but a little overrated. not worth the 45 minute wait and the sandwiches were so heavy that it killed our momentum walking around.
- contemporary art museum was depressing as hell.
- biosphere was a boring waste of time
- bioDOME was a pretty awesome zoo though, i recommend it
- kem coba was a little too savory for ice cream?
- the sparrow was a good spot to hop in and grab a drink. burger was ok,burger de ville was actually better, and that was some fast food type stuff.
- banquise, patata, le saint bock, pretty much all poutine was the same to me. Probably blasphemy but whatever.
- montreal had pretty/fashionable women working pretty much everywhere, even in fast food. it was nuts
clockout

Postby Kevin McCallister » Thu May 11, 2017 8:00 pm

clockout wrote:- fairmount bagel wins hands down over st. viateur. I don't even get why it's a debate.

Ah. Get the fuck out of my city.

(jk I don't care)
Kevin McCallister

Postby gentleman » Thu May 11, 2017 9:47 pm

clockout wrote:- montreal had pretty/fashionable women working pretty much everywhere, even in fast food. it was nuts

yeah and theyre usually dating total weirdo montreal dudes who look like rejects from the 80s. very weird town.

glad you tried so many good options.
gentleman

Postby The Fool on the Hill » Fri May 12, 2017 6:34 am

clockout wrote:fairmount bagel wins hands down over st. viateur. I don't even get why it's a debate.

Dapped
The Fool on the Hill

Postby Milk » Fri May 12, 2017 8:42 am

clockout wrote:
pauline walnuts wrote:wouldn't bother with: au pied de cochon, club chaise et peche, st-viateur bagel cafe on mont-royal

pied de cochon, too gimmicky?

and why not st viateur? Do you just mean Fairmount is the way to go

edit: nevermind, you are just saying dont bother with the 2nd location...

im glad for that 2nd location. Mile end is too far to go for me (and it depresses me). I mean the bagels there are as good as youll get them at the other place... i never bothered with the cafe part though. I just go for a bag of bagels.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby Milk » Fri May 12, 2017 8:46 am

clockout wrote:recap:
- banquise, patata, le saint bock, pretty much all poutine was the same to me. Probably blasphemy but whatever.

If you just had a classic poutine i can see that. It's the novelty poutines you go to banquise for.

Oh and yes, the contemporary art museum is bullshit. then again so is most contemporary art. And the biosphere is indeed a waste of time but id go to the biodome more often if i could afford it.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby tricksforchips » Fri May 12, 2017 12:08 pm

clockout wrote:recap:
- fairmount bagel wins hands down over st. viateur. I don't even get why it's a debate.

Lived above Fairmount for a year. The smell of fresh bagels every morning was divine.

But yeah Fairmount is #1. St. Viateur used to be good but they were bought by new owners a little while back and the quality completely dropped.
tricksforchips

Postby big zorb » Fri May 12, 2017 12:40 pm

man i miss montreal real bad. i have never had anything less than an amazing time while visiting.
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby Kevin McCallister » Fri May 12, 2017 1:45 pm

Larry I'd chill with you in a Montreal minute (worth 74% of a New York minute.)
Kevin McCallister

Postby clockout » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 pm

clockout

Postby Kevin McCallister » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:44 pm

Rue Notre Dame bordering Griffintown/St. Henri.
Very close to Joe Beef and all that yuppie noise.

edit: Oh you're probably asking the name of the restaurant. The Liverpool House.
Kevin McCallister

Postby clockout » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:54 pm

Kevin McCallister wrote:Rue Notre Dame bordering Griffintown/St. Henri.
Very close to Joe Beef and all that yuppie noise.

edit: Oh you're probably asking the name of the restaurant. The Liverpool House.

I thought so! I ate some oysters there.
clockout

Postby Cringey » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:15 pm

Hey all,

I need to have business dinner with some folks in the Downtown Core and on a Monday which I know is usually a day of the week a lot of places are closed.

I am pretty familiar with the Old Port + some of the places outside (i.e. Griffin Town to Little Burgundy) but the customers asked to meet specifically downtown which is close to their office and easier for them to get home from a mass transit perspective.

Any ideas?
Cringey

Postby gentleman » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:27 pm

le serpent is open on mondays...location works...about 1-2 years old. ive never been but heard good things and the owners own some great montreal places like club chasse et peche if i recall.
gentleman

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....