Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby ripersnifle » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:51 pm

incoherent grunting wrote:Any rad record stores nearby?

Currently stuck in traffic from the airport and the radio is playing smash mouth. Not enjoying Quebec yet.
Phonopolis on Bernard east of Parc for like typical indie releases/fairly decent used bins, but a bit overpriced imo.

La Rama a bit further east down Bernard for techno/dance stuff i think, though i never went there. this is a fairly new place that used to be in La Fin Du Vinyle but moved out on their own.

Aux 33 Tours east on Mont Royal has a large used and new selection but simultaneously reflects many bad things about contemporary vinyl culture (pricey imports, ridiculous RSD exclusives, etc lol).

La Fin Du Vinyle on St Laurent is a good used place with a friendly proprietor. they moved further north on St Laurent and i haven't been to the new location/layout but, at the former place, they had 3 turntables instore for checking out/listening to stuff.
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
Totally wrote:also to the really creepily obsessed kid frothing NON-US SPORTS GEAR IS A COMPLEXITY-SIGNALING DEVICE FOR AGEING HIPSTER ACOLYTES WHO DOWNLOAD MOANA: I have a lot of friends (and an apartment) in Geelong. Get a fuckin life man.
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:52 pm

Kevin McCallister wrote:
ripersnifle wrote:https://m.facebook.com/pg/oklaverdun/events/ taking place on Saturday night. i guess it's at like a parking lot in Verdun(?). i really like KLC - wish i could go!

I'm looking forward to this. More specifically it's on the roof of a parking garage, it gets quite pretty during sunset. In the event of rain they move it a floor below.
damnit that sounds so cool.
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
Totally wrote:also to the really creepily obsessed kid frothing NON-US SPORTS GEAR IS A COMPLEXITY-SIGNALING DEVICE FOR AGEING HIPSTER ACOLYTES WHO DOWNLOAD MOANA: I have a lot of friends (and an apartment) in Geelong. Get a fuckin life man.
ripersnifle

Postby incoherent grunting » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:11 am

ripersnifle wrote:

Currently stuck in traffic from the airport and the radio is playing smash mouth. Not enjoying Quebec yet.
Phonopolis on Bernard east of Parc for like typical indie releases/fairly decent used bins, but a bit overpriced imo.

La Rama a bit further east down Bernard for techno/dance stuff i think, though i never went there. this is a fairly new place that used to be in La Fin Du Vinyle but moved out on their own.

Aux 33 Tours east on Mont Royal has a large used and new selection but simultaneously reflects many bad things about contemporary vinyl culture (pricey imports, ridiculous RSD exclusives, etc lol).

La Fin Du Vinyle on St Laurent is a good used place with a friendly proprietor. they moved further north on St Laurent and i haven't been to the new location/layout but, at the former place, they had 3 turntables instore for checking out/listening to stuff.

Thank you!
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby Milk » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:23 am

I don't have suggestions but im posting here because two days ago i came across this guy's montreal review on youtube, they have a channel that's like tourism, reviewing cities, and in the things against montreal...he called it not very safe. I don't know where the fuck this guy normally goes. I'm assuming they just went out at night somewhere and because they couldn't understand all the french they felt threatened. If montreal doesn't seem safe to you, i don't suggest you go anywhere in north america. I mean even if i'd be willing to say alright there ARE a few sketchy parts maybe, i guess, these are not the part where a tourist would ever go anyway. Not fucking safe. I still have to laugh. I take a long 45 mins walk at 1am everyday mostly going through back alleys. I wouldn't try that probably anywhere in America.

I mean i checked the numbers and Calgary and Quebec city are safest but then in the three major cities, Vancouver, Toronto and Mtl they were mostly equal in terms of violent crimes and they're lightyears below like edmonton and saskatoon and i imagine most 2 millions+ cities in the US.

Anyway, carry on.

NOT SAFE!?!?
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby port » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:35 am

To be fair, my first morning in Montreal I was walking to work and passed a whole park full of folks shooting up and generally looking strung out and asking for money at 7:30am. My initial impression was NOT SAFE but I adjusted my route to work and all was well. This was close to the Place Des Arts so definitely any tourist could have wandered over there.
port

Postby Kevin McCallister » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:15 pm

port wrote:To be fair, my first morning in Montreal I was walking to work and passed a whole park full of folks shooting up and generally looking strung out and asking for money at 7:30am. My initial impression was NOT SAFE but I adjusted my route to work and all was well. This was close to the Place Des Arts so definitely any tourist could have wandered over there.

Corner of St Laurent and St Catherine?
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
Kevin McCallister

Postby spix et chicho » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:24 pm

thinking Viger Square personally
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ
spix et chicho

Postby incoherent grunting » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:41 pm

The food here is off the charts
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby Kevin McCallister » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:02 pm

spix et chicho wrote:thinking Viger Square personally

Oh yeah, good call.
I worked by there and I once had to put out a fire that was just going on in Viger Square. Cops don't care as long as the shooting up happens in that park and not outside.
There are a ton of hotels in that area too so it's definitely a bad first impression.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
Kevin McCallister

Postby Kevin McCallister » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:02 pm

what'cha eating IG?
Kevin McCallister

Postby tricksforchips » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:46 pm

port wrote:To be fair, my first morning in Montreal I was walking to work and passed a whole park full of folks shooting up and generally looking strung out and asking for money at 7:30am. My initial impression was NOT SAFE but I adjusted my route to work and all was well. This was close to the Place Des Arts so definitely any tourist could have wandered over there.

People shooting up =/= unsafe.
tricksforchips

Postby Kevin McCallister » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:22 pm

I don't think it's fair to fault someone for feeling unsafe in an area where people are openly shooting up.
It's not a park I would actively pass by at night if I could avoid it.
Kevin McCallister

Postby Milk » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:31 pm

I sometimes encounter strange homeless people talking to themselves on my night walks but i dont think these are the type you have to worry about killing you. I would say more or less same with people shooting up. It might be an uneasy/unpleasant few seconds....
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby resum » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:22 pm

Larrys is extremely good.

Is there a listing of shows like the KLG show anywhere? I'm around for the next 10 days or so, and would've loved to have gone (but didn't find it before when I was looking for things to do).
resum

Postby rap and country » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:27 pm

smoke on the bus
rap and country
ok

Postby rap and country » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:31 pm

comme un vrai dégénérer
rap and country
ok

Postby Jeremy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:15 pm

Next weekend I'm leaving my apartment at some point I've decided.
Jeremy

Postby Kevin McCallister » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:50 pm

resum wrote:Larrys is extremely good.

Is there a listing of shows like the KLG show anywhere? I'm around for the next 10 days or so, and would've loved to have gone (but didn't find it before when I was looking for things to do).

http://cultmontreal.com/listings/

Faust is playing tomorrow. Catch the openers, they're great.
Kevin McCallister

Postby incoherent grunting » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:54 am

Kevin McCallister wrote:what'cha eating IG?

I've had eight dishes of fois gras in the last three days, but everything has been fantastic. Bagels, meat, patisserie.. best meals have been at maison publique and pied de cochon. Great bars, big in Japan, la majestique, icehouse... everyone I've met had just been so wonderful. Loving it here.
Last edited by incoherent grunting on Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
incoherent grunting

Postby incoherent grunting » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:55 am

And absolutely not feeling anything but safe on the streets even alone at 2am
incoherent grunting

Postby joymonger » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:25 am

mis en signet
joymonger

Postby blinky » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:57 am

maison publique :awful:
blinky

Postby spix et chicho » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:20 am

local band "The Head" is playing tonight and tomorrow at a pretty dingy loft space in Griffintown - "Belz Centre" I think
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ
spix et chicho

Postby ripersnifle » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:22 am

lol
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:45 am

Belz Clubbe
ripersnifle

Postby j-ol » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:01 am

incoherent grunting wrote:
ripersnifle wrote:

Thank you!

maybe you've already left mtl but i've also gotta plug atom heart as a great record store. it's on sherbrooke... i love the staff, selection, and welcoming atmosphere always encourages a good digging sesh.
j-ol

Postby lockheed » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:51 pm

just booked my first trip to montreal for 9/1 - 9/5

no plans, should be chill 8-)
Nice day if it doesn't rain.
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby port » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:59 pm

Kevin McCallister wrote:

Ding ding ding.
port

Postby tricksforchips » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:54 pm

lockheed wrote:just booked my first trip to montreal for 9/1 - 9/5

no plans, should be chill 8-)

hang out with kevmac and I at grumpys.
tricksforchips

Postby Kevin McCallister » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:43 pm

port wrote:
Kevin McCallister wrote:

Ding ding ding.

Yeah that's known as a sex/vice district of a sex/vice city.
Though a few years ago some developer bought out most of the property to build condos there. Cleopatra, a burlesque/strip/drag club, was the only holdout. The developer supposedly "lost interest" in the condo project and abandoned it, leaving the area undeveloped with closed businesses. Cleopatra remains open!
When I was a teen there was an all ages punk venue there so all the street punks would hang out and all the Ottawa street punks would "vacation" on that corner and hassle anyone for cigarettes/booze, like just follow you for a block or two asking and asking. It was my first taste of The Big City on my own and it gave me adrenaline creeps.
There was a bar on that corner where I saw for the first and last time in my life a bartender toss someone out on the street by the back of his belt, a la DJ Jazzy Jeff in Fresh Prince.
So yeah I dunno I can see that being a bad first impression.
Kevin McCallister

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....