what are some things to do in montreal

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby ripersnifle » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:51 pm

incoherent grunting wrote:Any rad record stores nearby?

Currently stuck in traffic from the airport and the radio is playing smash mouth. Not enjoying Quebec yet.
Phonopolis on Bernard east of Parc for like typical indie releases/fairly decent used bins, but a bit overpriced imo.

La Rama a bit further east down Bernard for techno/dance stuff i think, though i never went there. this is a fairly new place that used to be in La Fin Du Vinyle but moved out on their own.

Aux 33 Tours east on Mont Royal has a large used and new selection but simultaneously reflects many bad things about contemporary vinyl culture (pricey imports, ridiculous RSD exclusives, etc lol).

La Fin Du Vinyle on St Laurent is a good used place with a friendly proprietor. they moved further north on St Laurent and i haven't been to the new location/layout but, at the former place, they had 3 turntables instore for checking out/listening to stuff.
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
Totally wrote:also to the really creepily obsessed kid frothing NON-US SPORTS GEAR IS A COMPLEXITY-SIGNALING DEVICE FOR AGEING HIPSTER ACOLYTES WHO DOWNLOAD MOANA: I have a lot of friends (and an apartment) in Geelong. Get a fuckin life man.
User avatar
ripersnifle
 
Posts: 13755
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: carnival 2000

Postby ripersnifle » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:52 pm

Kevin McCallister wrote:
ripersnifle wrote:https://m.facebook.com/pg/oklaverdun/events/ taking place on Saturday night. i guess it's at like a parking lot in Verdun(?). i really like KLC - wish i could go!


I'm looking forward to this. More specifically it's on the roof of a parking garage, it gets quite pretty during sunset. In the event of rain they move it a floor below.
damnit that sounds so cool.
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
Totally wrote:also to the really creepily obsessed kid frothing NON-US SPORTS GEAR IS A COMPLEXITY-SIGNALING DEVICE FOR AGEING HIPSTER ACOLYTES WHO DOWNLOAD MOANA: I have a lot of friends (and an apartment) in Geelong. Get a fuckin life man.
User avatar
ripersnifle
 
Posts: 13755
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: carnival 2000

Postby incoherent grunting » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:11 am

ripersnifle wrote:
incoherent grunting wrote:Any rad record stores nearby?

Currently stuck in traffic from the airport and the radio is playing smash mouth. Not enjoying Quebec yet.
Phonopolis on Bernard east of Parc for like typical indie releases/fairly decent used bins, but a bit overpriced imo.

La Rama a bit further east down Bernard for techno/dance stuff i think, though i never went there. this is a fairly new place that used to be in La Fin Du Vinyle but moved out on their own.

Aux 33 Tours east on Mont Royal has a large used and new selection but simultaneously reflects many bad things about contemporary vinyl culture (pricey imports, ridiculous RSD exclusives, etc lol).

La Fin Du Vinyle on St Laurent is a good used place with a friendly proprietor. they moved further north on St Laurent and i haven't been to the new location/layout but, at the former place, they had 3 turntables instore for checking out/listening to stuff.


Thank you!
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
User avatar
incoherent grunting
 
Posts: 4029
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:21 pm
Location: life's a beach

Postby Milk » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:23 am

I don't have suggestions but im posting here because two days ago i came across this guy's montreal review on youtube, they have a channel that's like tourism, reviewing cities, and in the things against montreal...he called it not very safe. I don't know where the fuck this guy normally goes. I'm assuming they just went out at night somewhere and because they couldn't understand all the french they felt threatened. If montreal doesn't seem safe to you, i don't suggest you go anywhere in north america. I mean even if i'd be willing to say alright there ARE a few sketchy parts maybe, i guess, these are not the part where a tourist would ever go anyway. Not fucking safe. I still have to laugh. I take a long 45 mins walk at 1am everyday mostly going through back alleys. I wouldn't try that probably anywhere in America.

I mean i checked the numbers and Calgary and Quebec city are safest but then in the three major cities, Vancouver, Toronto and Mtl they were mostly equal in terms of violent crimes and they're lightyears below like edmonton and saskatoon and i imagine most 2 millions+ cities in the US.


Anyway, carry on.






NOT SAFE!?!?
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
User avatar
Milk
 
Posts: 11228
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:56 am
Location: Shut the fuck up Milk

Postby port » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:35 am

To be fair, my first morning in Montreal I was walking to work and passed a whole park full of folks shooting up and generally looking strung out and asking for money at 7:30am. My initial impression was NOT SAFE but I adjusted my route to work and all was well. This was close to the Place Des Arts so definitely any tourist could have wandered over there.
User avatar
port
 
Posts: 6688
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:55 pm
Location: SHE WAS RAISED OUT IN BROOKLYN

Postby Kevin McCallister » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:15 pm

port wrote:To be fair, my first morning in Montreal I was walking to work and passed a whole park full of folks shooting up and generally looking strung out and asking for money at 7:30am. My initial impression was NOT SAFE but I adjusted my route to work and all was well. This was close to the Place Des Arts so definitely any tourist could have wandered over there.


Corner of St Laurent and St Catherine?
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
User avatar
Kevin McCallister
 
Posts: 17008
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:46 pm
Location: the secret Father John Misty show

Postby spix et chicho » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:24 pm

thinking Viger Square personally
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ
User avatar
spix et chicho
 
Posts: 22582
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:21 pm
Location: montreal

Postby incoherent grunting » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:41 pm

The food here is off the charts
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
User avatar
incoherent grunting
 
Posts: 4029
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:21 pm
Location: life's a beach

Postby Kevin McCallister » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:02 pm

spix et chicho wrote:thinking Viger Square personally


Oh yeah, good call.
I worked by there and I once had to put out a fire that was just going on in Viger Square. Cops don't care as long as the shooting up happens in that park and not outside.
There are a ton of hotels in that area too so it's definitely a bad first impression.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
User avatar
Kevin McCallister
 
Posts: 17008
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:46 pm
Location: the secret Father John Misty show

Postby Kevin McCallister » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:02 pm

what'cha eating IG?
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
User avatar
Kevin McCallister
 
Posts: 17008
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:46 pm
Location: the secret Father John Misty show

Postby tricksforchips » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:46 pm

port wrote:To be fair, my first morning in Montreal I was walking to work and passed a whole park full of folks shooting up and generally looking strung out and asking for money at 7:30am. My initial impression was NOT SAFE but I adjusted my route to work and all was well. This was close to the Place Des Arts so definitely any tourist could have wandered over there.

People shooting up =/= unsafe.
User avatar
tricksforchips
 
Posts: 2546
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:21 pm

Postby Kevin McCallister » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:22 pm

I don't think it's fair to fault someone for feeling unsafe in an area where people are openly shooting up.
It's not a park I would actively pass by at night if I could avoid it.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
User avatar
Kevin McCallister
 
Posts: 17008
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:46 pm
Location: the secret Father John Misty show

Postby Milk » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:31 pm

I sometimes encounter strange homeless people talking to themselves on my night walks but i dont think these are the type you have to worry about killing you. I would say more or less same with people shooting up. It might be an uneasy/unpleasant few seconds....
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
User avatar
Milk
 
Posts: 11228
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:56 am
Location: Shut the fuck up Milk

Postby resum » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:22 pm

Larrys is extremely good.

Is there a listing of shows like the KLG show anywhere? I'm around for the next 10 days or so, and would've loved to have gone (but didn't find it before when I was looking for things to do).
resum
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:30 am

Postby rap and country » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:27 pm

smoke on the bus
User avatar
rap and country
ok
 
Posts: 5202
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:46 pm

Postby rap and country » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:31 pm

comme un vrai dégénérer
User avatar
rap and country
ok
 
Posts: 5202
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:46 pm

Postby Jeremy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:15 pm

Next weekend I'm leaving my apartment at some point I've decided.
User avatar
Jeremy
 
Posts: 44299
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:46 pm

Postby Kevin McCallister » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:50 pm

resum wrote:Larrys is extremely good.

Is there a listing of shows like the KLG show anywhere? I'm around for the next 10 days or so, and would've loved to have gone (but didn't find it before when I was looking for things to do).


http://cultmontreal.com/listings/

Faust is playing tomorrow. Catch the openers, they're great.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
User avatar
Kevin McCallister
 
Posts: 17008
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:46 pm
Location: the secret Father John Misty show

Postby incoherent grunting » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:54 am

Kevin McCallister wrote:what'cha eating IG?

I've had eight dishes of fois gras in the last three days, but everything has been fantastic. Bagels, meat, patisserie.. best meals have been at maison publique and pied de cochon. Great bars, big in Japan, la majestique, icehouse... everyone I've met had just been so wonderful. Loving it here.
Last edited by incoherent grunting on Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
User avatar
incoherent grunting
 
Posts: 4029
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:21 pm
Location: life's a beach

Postby incoherent grunting » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:55 am

And absolutely not feeling anything but safe on the streets even alone at 2am
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
User avatar
incoherent grunting
 
Posts: 4029
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:21 pm
Location: life's a beach

Postby joymonger » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:25 am

mis en signet
User avatar
joymonger
 
Posts: 3321
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:25 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA

Postby blinky » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:57 am

maison publique :awful:
User avatar
blinky
 
Posts: 470
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:10 pm

Postby spix et chicho » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:20 am

local band "The Head" is playing tonight and tomorrow at a pretty dingy loft space in Griffintown - "Belz Centre" I think
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ
User avatar
spix et chicho
 
Posts: 22582
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:21 pm
Location: montreal

Postby ripersnifle » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:22 am

lol
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
Totally wrote:also to the really creepily obsessed kid frothing NON-US SPORTS GEAR IS A COMPLEXITY-SIGNALING DEVICE FOR AGEING HIPSTER ACOLYTES WHO DOWNLOAD MOANA: I have a lot of friends (and an apartment) in Geelong. Get a fuckin life man.
User avatar
ripersnifle
 
Posts: 13755
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: carnival 2000

Postby ripersnifle » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:45 am

Belz Clubbe
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
Totally wrote:also to the really creepily obsessed kid frothing NON-US SPORTS GEAR IS A COMPLEXITY-SIGNALING DEVICE FOR AGEING HIPSTER ACOLYTES WHO DOWNLOAD MOANA: I have a lot of friends (and an apartment) in Geelong. Get a fuckin life man.
User avatar
ripersnifle
 
Posts: 13755
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: carnival 2000

Postby j-ol » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:01 am

incoherent grunting wrote:
ripersnifle wrote:
incoherent grunting wrote:Any rad record stores nearby?

Currently stuck in traffic from the airport and the radio is playing smash mouth. Not enjoying Quebec yet.
Phonopolis on Bernard east of Parc for like typical indie releases/fairly decent used bins, but a bit overpriced imo.

La Rama a bit further east down Bernard for techno/dance stuff i think, though i never went there. this is a fairly new place that used to be in La Fin Du Vinyle but moved out on their own.

Aux 33 Tours east on Mont Royal has a large used and new selection but simultaneously reflects many bad things about contemporary vinyl culture (pricey imports, ridiculous RSD exclusives, etc lol).

La Fin Du Vinyle on St Laurent is a good used place with a friendly proprietor. they moved further north on St Laurent and i haven't been to the new location/layout but, at the former place, they had 3 turntables instore for checking out/listening to stuff.


Thank you!


maybe you've already left mtl but i've also gotta plug atom heart as a great record store. it's on sherbrooke... i love the staff, selection, and welcoming atmosphere always encourages a good digging sesh.
User avatar
j-ol
 
Posts: 5479
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:22 pm

Postby lockheed » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:51 pm

just booked my first trip to montreal for 9/1 - 9/5

no plans, should be chill 8-)
Nice day if it doesn't rain.
User avatar
lockheed
big chief asshole
 
Posts: 13396
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:42 pm
Location: Home

Postby port » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:59 pm

Kevin McCallister wrote:
port wrote:To be fair, my first morning in Montreal I was walking to work and passed a whole park full of folks shooting up and generally looking strung out and asking for money at 7:30am. My initial impression was NOT SAFE but I adjusted my route to work and all was well. This was close to the Place Des Arts so definitely any tourist could have wandered over there.


Corner of St Laurent and St Catherine?


Ding ding ding.
User avatar
port
 
Posts: 6688
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:55 pm
Location: SHE WAS RAISED OUT IN BROOKLYN

Postby tricksforchips » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:54 pm

lockheed wrote:just booked my first trip to montreal for 9/1 - 9/5

no plans, should be chill 8-)

hang out with kevmac and I at grumpys.
User avatar
tricksforchips
 
Posts: 2546
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:21 pm

Postby Kevin McCallister » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:43 pm

port wrote:
Kevin McCallister wrote:
port wrote:To be fair, my first morning in Montreal I was walking to work and passed a whole park full of folks shooting up and generally looking strung out and asking for money at 7:30am. My initial impression was NOT SAFE but I adjusted my route to work and all was well. This was close to the Place Des Arts so definitely any tourist could have wandered over there.


Corner of St Laurent and St Catherine?


Ding ding ding.


Yeah that's known as a sex/vice district of a sex/vice city.
Though a few years ago some developer bought out most of the property to build condos there. Cleopatra, a burlesque/strip/drag club, was the only holdout. The developer supposedly "lost interest" in the condo project and abandoned it, leaving the area undeveloped with closed businesses. Cleopatra remains open!
When I was a teen there was an all ages punk venue there so all the street punks would hang out and all the Ottawa street punks would "vacation" on that corner and hassle anyone for cigarettes/booze, like just follow you for a block or two asking and asking. It was my first taste of The Big City on my own and it gave me adrenaline creeps.
There was a bar on that corner where I saw for the first and last time in my life a bartender toss someone out on the street by the back of his belt, a la DJ Jazzy Jeff in Fresh Prince.
So yeah I dunno I can see that being a bad first impression.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
User avatar
Kevin McCallister
 
Posts: 17008
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:46 pm
Location: the secret Father John Misty show

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: captain, Cone, Conetoaster, DAT TRILL FRIEND FRITZL, doublethink0, Dr. Fishopolis, Frank, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, guidance, Hot Carl, jon, My Pal the Crook, mynamerocks, NegativeCapability, neta, number none, pablito, powderfinger, robotculinaire, Slay Da Pink Fleshy Beast, snuggle, someguy, swamp rock, trampoline