Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby deadwolfbones » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:17 pm

Had both Critical Band and Citadel recently and man, I love MT's IPAs.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby deadwolfbones » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:18 pm

gazedo wrote:
deadwolfbones wrote:Relax is at Total Wine for $12/4pk, which is... not bad? MT prices.

did you sign up for their emails? its worth it as you pretty much always get 10% off 4/6 packs

Yeah, I'm all over that.

Went the other night for the lagers and didn't have a valid coupon, though. Was very sad. :'(

They also didn't have singles of that new cherry sour from Lagunitas. Double sad.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby deadwolfbones » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:52 am

Did the lager tasting tonight! 5 beers (though I'll only be ranking the top 4 for board ranking purposes): Deschutes Pacific Wonderland, Victory Home Grown, Anchor California Lager, Founders Solid Gold, and Firestone Lager.

A total of 5 people tried them and provided rankings. It was pretty interesting: 4 of 5 ranked the same beer 2nd best, 3 of 5 ranked the same beer 3rd best. But four different beers were chosen for 1st place.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby Shalabi » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:59 am

jalapeño ranch wrote:Also, Offshoot is #2 on that list and... no way man. I don't care if it's a blind tasting, they're batting like 3 for 80 with their releases so far.

as much as i like The Bruery, this is very accurate
Shalabi

Postby deadwolfbones » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:20 am

REMINDER IF YOU WANT TO TAKE PART IN...

THE HPN BEER TASTING — RD. 1: CRAFT LAGERS

VOTING FORM: https://goo.gl/forms/Os7M6HG8cWW4UqJp1

What to do:
1. Provide a ranking for each beer you tasted. Don't enter more than one response per column. (Max 4 rankings.)
2. If you tasted a beer not on the list in Q1, proceed to Q2 and write it in. (Again, don't submit more than 4 rankings between the multiple choice and write-in sections.)

Rope a S/O or friend into conducting the blind tasting for you. If you don't have a friend or S/O ( :( ) you can still participate, but blind tasting is better and more revealing.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby gazedo » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:55 pm

deadwolfbones wrote:REMINDER IF YOU WANT TO TAKE PART IN...

What to do:
1. Provide a ranking for each beer you tasted. Don't enter more than one response per column. (Max 4 rankings.)
2. If you tasted a beer not on the list in Q1, proceed to Q2 and write it in. (Again, don't submit more than 4 rankings between the multiple choice and write-in sections.)

Rope a S/O or friend into conducting the blind tasting for you. If you don't have a friend or S/O ( :( ) you can still participate, but blind tasting is better and more revealing.

how does the final ranking actually get calculated? i am not sure i understand how this will work. if everyone is trying a bunch of different things, isn't whatever is most widely available going to win because the most people will have a chance to try it and thus its probability of getting a vote is much higher?
gazedo

Postby deadwolfbones » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:41 pm

I was planning to average the rankings for each beer, and the ones with the highest average rankings would be the winners.

Admittedly, this requires a decent number of submissions.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby jireland » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:04 am

gazedo wrote:
deadwolfbones wrote:REMINDER IF YOU WANT TO TAKE PART IN...

What to do:

how does the final ranking actually get calculated? i am not sure i understand how this will work. if everyone is trying a bunch of different things, isn't whatever is most widely available going to win because the most people will have a chance to try it and thus its probability of getting a vote is much higher?

going to get in on this this weekend.
jireland

Postby gazedo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:16 pm

bricker, if one was to make it to casa agria this weekend, what would you recommend?
gazedo

Postby viachicago » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:20 pm

Sup

viachicago

Postby springheeljack » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:29 pm

i want that.

Hubbard's Cave is banging out incredible IPA's right now, worth checking out.

https://www.instagram.com/hubbards_cave/
springheeljack

Postby viachicago » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:41 pm

Got some focal banger as well, which gotta say I think I give the edge to
viachicago

Postby deadwolfbones » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:07 pm

Any LA peeps gonna go to this?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlWk6JLg9kp
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby shankly » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:11 pm

Underrated summer beer: 16oz cans of Duvel Single.
shankly

Postby tonybricker » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:00 pm

gazedo wrote:bricker, if one was to make it to casa agria this weekend, what would you recommend?

it's not their strongest lineup right now to be honest! But there are still some nice beers on tap.

https://www.casaagria.com/Tasting-Room

- Of the IPAs I like Greenery the most
- Buck is a very pleasant summer sipper
- I haven't had it since last year, but I remember Passion Pit as being very juicy and tart
- if you are down to buy a bottle,Stone Fruit in Harmony is a delicious juicy sour and Austerity is a delicious tart saison

if you are in the area and want other drinking options, Madewest is the next best thing.
https://madewest.com/pages/on-tap

...They usually have a few nice hazies around but right now they don't..!
tonybricker

Postby jalapeño ranch » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:21 pm

I know this board is anti non shelfie Modern Times beers for whatever reason, but MT5 is really, really good.

I think I'm gonna stop by the HPB Mixed Culture night but I probably won't decide until day of.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:
jalapeño ranch

Postby deadwolfbones » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:57 am

I got a 4pk of Goodie Pils, a crowler of Timbo, and a bottle of Coldbox Coolship today. Also tried Goodie Barrel on draft. Awesome beer. I love HPB and I love that it's about two blocks from my company's office.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby jalapeño ranch » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:00 am

You’re gonna love Coldbox Coolship. One of their best beers in my opinion.
jalapeño ranch

Postby deadwolfbones » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:30 pm

Fuck Goodie Pils is so good
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby Shalabi » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:42 pm

Modern Times finally fucked up

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlWAbkbDni1
Shalabi

Postby gazedo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:46 pm

Did a double blind tasting of 12 lagers with a bunch of friends this weekend. I will say that there was a pretty noticeable correlation between how fresh a lager was and how well it was ranked.
gazedo

Postby jalapeño ranch » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:47 pm

I'd love to join in on the blind lager tasting, but there's no way I can convince my friends to join me.
jalapeño ranch

Postby gazedo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:58 pm

sounds like you need to ditch those friends
gazedo

Postby deadwolfbones » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:22 am

Gazedo, once the results are tallied I'd love to hear more about lagers 5-12.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby gazedo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:28 pm

how the firestone mixed 12 packs are not easy jack, pivo, luponic, and lager is beyond me. who wants a DBA or Union Jack in 2018?
gazedo

Postby gazedo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:30 pm

deadwolfbones wrote:Gazedo, once the results are tallied I'd love to hear more about lagers 5-12.

i didn't keep the notes, and to be honest, don't even remember all 12 beers we tried. I will say the consensus #1 lager was from Three Forks brewing. a fresh growler. i would love to try the freshest version of things like solid gold, boston lager, etc to see what they are like. the other big split in our group was on smell. some people were able to look past beers that didn't have a good nose, while others gave those beers very low scores.
gazedo

Postby deadwolfbones » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:25 pm

DBA is a good beer but yeah I don't want to drink a lot of it, or drink it in the heat of summer.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby epistrophy » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:31 pm

gazedo wrote:how the firestone mixed 12 packs are not easy jack, pivo, luponic, and lager is beyond me. who wants a DBA or Union Jack in 2018?

I 100% love a DBA any time of year. Maybe not a whole six pack on a hot summer's day, but once it's cool out in the evening give me some malty, nutty, slightly hoppy goodness any day.
epistrophy

Postby epistrophy » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:32 pm

shankly wrote:Underrated summer beer: 16oz cans of Duvel Single.

1000% yes
epistrophy

Postby brent » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:45 pm

i don't think firestone walker makes a bad beer tbh. i'm convinced they are the best widely distro'd brewery in the US
brent

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....