Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Contristo » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:59 pm

Sip of Sunshine brewed at Two Roads always has tasted so much maltier and lacking in body to me, comparative to when i visited VT years ago and had it on tap. back then, the beer had no malt presence whatsoever to me, and was crisp and citrus all day. now it tastes like a standard above-average DIPA to me, with some lingering malty sweetness.

cans of it are available at tons of places here, but it just sits because it's really pricey, probably old, and isn't as good as it once was, especially compared to nearby breweries like HVB and Equilibrium.

Super Session is very solid at its $10/6-pack price, however, and i usually grab it when it's fresh. $5 per can for SOS though is dumb.
Contristo

Postby jon » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:09 pm

jbiz wrote:plus several flavors of MIA HRD WTR

I laughed the first time I saw these in stores but goddamn the cucumber and coconut/pineapple flavors are soooooo good.
jon

Postby what the schmuck » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:27 pm

gazedo wrote:also schmuck, have you tried holy light?

I have not, i need to roll through but just havent had the chance to head up there in recent time. I assume that it'll stay around for a bit but def need some for deck/beach sitting this summer.
what the schmuck

Postby gazedo » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:16 pm

what the schmuck wrote:

I have not, i need to roll through but just havent had the chance to head up there in recent time. I assume that it'll stay around for a bit but def need some for deck/beach sitting this summer.

i'm heading up to Whistler next weekend. will probably make a stop at four winds. maybe chuckanut on the way home. excited.
gazedo

Postby noiseandpop » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:04 pm

this is so good. north brew x verdant triple fruited gose
~~cry urself 2 ash~~
noiseandpop
piss reeking meth goblin

Postby what the schmuck » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:14 pm

gazedo wrote:
what the schmuck wrote:

i'm heading up to Whistler next weekend. will probably make a stop at four winds. maybe chuckanut on the way home. excited.

Hell yeah! You could swoop by structures if they have cans available too if you have time (and if they're open). wouldnt be too far from chuckanut.
what the schmuck

Postby captain » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:22 pm

when are you rolling through town, gazedo?
ive been thinkin about my life lately and in short im goin A-WALL
captain

Postby captain » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:24 pm

happy to give you the lowdown on vancouver beer and pass you a couple bottles if the timing works. i'm planning to head to victoria sometime friday
captain

Postby jalapeño ranch » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:22 am

This year’s Critical Band seems kind of off to me. It’s not bad but it has a weird bitter finish that I don’t remember it having before. Pretty disappointed if I’m being honest.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:
jalapeño ranch

Postby noiseandpop » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:16 pm

honestly think siren do these dumb adjunct stouts much better than others. like half the price of omnipollo and without that sickly sweet house taste? good stuff imo
http://www.sirencraftbrew.com/shop/index.php/project-barista-breakfast-shake.html
~~cry urself 2 ash~~
noiseandpop
piss reeking meth goblin

Postby gazedo » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:21 pm

captain wrote:when are you rolling through town, gazedo?

i'll be passing through the city wednesday AM and then again Sunday pm. i am not expecting to have much time to do things in Van as this is a bachelorette party trip to whistler and there is a bit of a schedule already and trying to chase beer probably won't fly. if there is a must visit spot besides four winds, let me know. i was so impressed with nectarous a few years back that i am still pretty eager to check out some of their other beers. although definitely open to whatever other suggestions you might have.
gazedo

Postby tonybricker » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:52 pm

jalapeño ranch wrote:Think I'm heading to Casa Agria on a Sunday in a few weeks. What can I expect?

Are there usually bottles, etc. to go? Are there always food trucks available or am I gonna need to find somewhere else to eat in the area? Thanks.

just saw this! There are always food trucks on Friday and Saturday, sometimes on Thursday and Sunday. There is nothing else in walking distance from the brewery, but you can bring food in or order delivery to the brewery.

They always have bottles to go, it will be saisons or sours in the bottles. They usually have 2-4 hazy IPAs on, 2-4 saisons, maybe a stout, and then like 8 sour options. The hazies are always at least good and sometimes great, as of yesterday my favorite IPA on tap was the Alpha Process Mosaic single-hop. If you like sours, I recommend trying half pours of anything that sounds interesting. Saison de la Casa is almost always on tap and is very good, although isn't the most traditional-tasting saison.
tonybricker

Postby captain » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:01 am

gazedo wrote:
captain wrote:when are you rolling through town, gazedo?

i'll be passing through the city wednesday AM and then again Sunday pm. i am not expecting to have much time to do things in Van as this is a bachelorette party trip to whistler and there is a bit of a schedule already and trying to chase beer probably won't fly. if there is a must visit spot besides four winds, let me know. i was so impressed with nectarous a few years back that i am still pretty eager to check out some of their other beers. although definitely open to whatever other suggestions you might have.

four winds is good but there's usually a better selection of their products at good bottleshops than in the brewery. for the most part, there's hardly any brewery-only releases here still, most everything makes its way to the bottle shops except for brassneck. if you've only got time for a quick stop, i would stop at brewery creek (at 14th and main) and then brassneck at 6th and main (it opens at 3, which might be too late for you)

there should be lots of four winds bottles at brewery creek. i would also recommend picking up a bottle of coalesce val d'or and whatever superflux IPA they have available. you'll find lots to drink there.

if timing for brassneck works, i like no brainer corn lager, kingmaker pilsner, stockholm syndrome foudre saison, and their changeling series. they have a rotating selection of cans available to go, plus growler fills.
captain

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:08 am

Dogfish's 120 being available in 4-packs was news to me, but I still had to double-take when I saw this price tag yesterday:

It makes sense since single bottles go for $10 a pop, but still.
Eyeball Kid

Postby Double McDouble » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:10 am

can't believe people are actually still paying that much for something brewed by dogfish head
Double McDouble

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:15 am

It's amazing that Rogue still gets away with charging $$ for their average-at-best stuff.
Eyeball Kid

Postby jalapeño ranch » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:00 am

I can't even remember the last time I've seen anything from Rogue on the shelves.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:
jalapeño ranch

Postby warmjets » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:37 am

Rogue is garbage.

DFH is dumb.
warmjets

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:39 am

jalapeño ranch wrote:I can't even remember the last time I've seen anything from Rogue on the shelves.

Come to Publix, where sixers of Dead Guy are $12!
Eyeball Kid

Postby wyatt » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:33 pm

I got tickets to FoFa so I guess I’m going to hill in August.
wyatt

Postby deadwolfbones » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:45 pm

That's actually a low price for 120min.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby gazedo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:08 am

Shelf midnight still.. hell yeah :awful:
gazedo

Postby Contristo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:32 pm

Equilibrium added some lactose to one of their commonly released DIPAs (whose non-lactose version typically lasts for a week or more at the brewery) and had a brewer from Other Half come to help with the lactose addition (hence making it a collaboration).

350 people were on line at 7:30AM, in a mostly middle-of-nowhere place about a two hour drive from Manhattan. can sales don't start until 11:30AM.

#beerin2018
Contristo

Postby warmjets » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:34 pm

Not a fan of lactose in IPAs. People are stupid.
warmjets

Postby Fullscreen » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:26 pm

noiseandpop wrote:Image

god damn that's a fine looking beer.
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart
Fullscreen

Postby epistrophy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:36 pm

Fullscreen wrote:
noiseandpop wrote:Image

god damn that's a fine looking beer.

I don’t mean this in a snarky, shitty way but I really don’t understand the appeal of a beer poured with no head.
epistrophy

Postby epistrophy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:37 pm

warmjets wrote:Not a fan of lactose in IPAs. People are stupid.

Absolutely. I tried one of Trillium’s “creamsicle” Permutation IPAs recently and couldn’t even finish it. What is the fascination.
epistrophy

Postby deadwolfbones » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:41 am

When it's done well, it's really good.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby bachwards » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:45 am

Contristo wrote:Sip of Sunshine brewed at Two Roads always has tasted so much maltier and lacking in body to me, comparative to when i visited VT years ago and had it on tap. back then, the beer had no malt presence whatsoever to me, and was crisp and citrus all day. now it tastes like a standard above-average DIPA to me, with some lingering malty sweetness.

cans of it are available at tons of places here, but it just sits because it's really pricey, probably old, and isn't as good as it once was, especially compared to nearby breweries like HVB and Equilibrium.

Super Session is very solid at its $10/6-pack price, however, and i usually grab it when it's fresh. $5 per can for SOS though is dumb.

FWIW, Sip has always been brewed at Two Roads, even when it was in bottles and only available in Vermont. I agree that it's not worth the high price anymore though.
bachwards

Postby Contristo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:16 am

May be palate fatigue (from all the NEIPAs) or batch variance... I just remember it tasting so much crisper and citrus-forward than the cans I've had recently.
Contristo

PreviousNext

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.