Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby k_uger » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:02 pm

wait, Mansfield 09 wasn’t the first great show of the era?!

anyway, remember the Suzy after that Sand?? that place was about to burst.. also remember how this show became the new 2/28/03 on PT and haters were hating on it for like.. 3 or 4 years. I especially loved the people that tried to claim the 12/30/09 Sand was better. HAH!
we are mrs pizza shit
k_uger

Postby k_uger » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:35 pm

Quigley - you have my sincerest condolences. today, you are ALL Americans!

**narrator: that was the worst news Quigley could have heard...**
we are mrs pizza shit
k_uger

Postby Quigley » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:21 am

Shamefully turnout was like 44% even though voting was open for like two weeks. Also shamefully, none of the candidates ran on a "bring Phish back to Ontario" platform. Condolences to Mrs VHG too!
Quigley

Postby k_uger » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:12 pm

tough crowd
we are mrs pizza shit
k_uger

Postby k_uger » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:58 pm

here’s a thought:

But is a very meaningful song for a lot of people with no clearly discernible meaning or message... is it significant to you? why or why not, and what does it mean to you personally, or even literally if you feel that strongly??
we are mrs pizza shit
k_uger

Postby k_uger » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:03 pm

you guys are a tougher crowd than the Ontario electorate
we are mrs pizza shit
k_uger

Postby Franco » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:24 pm

lol

I....liked it a lot at IT
Franco

Postby Quigley » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:29 pm

Hey man I wanna respond to your question but I can't understand it, either the message or I is really stoned

Curveball allegedly is 85% sold out so get yer tickets if you haven't already. According to PT.

Highky recommend the latest under the scales episode, it features a very special surprise guest discussing the Ghost sessions, the BD, and how much he loves and admires his bandmates.

And that's your phish news roundup, tip your waiters folks
Quigley

Postby Franco » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:32 pm

I for one used context clues to decipher that k_uger meant Bug when he said But
Franco

Postby Quigley » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:43 pm

Ahahaha, now it makes sense. Bug has a very pleasant melody, a gentle build from quiet to loud, and it's fun to holler "it doesn't matter" with a crowd. Occasionally I understand its meaning explicitly (I know what it means in feelings but not language) but it's not coming to me right now.

At SPAC 2016 a Wook yelled at my friend "if they play Bug right now you're gonna see me blow my brains out right here!" Luckily they'd already played it.
Quigley

Postby k_uger » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:05 pm

oh man.

old school epic fail..!
we are mrs pizza shit
k_uger

Postby Franco » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:09 pm

CONFESSION:

I have an immense, near-immeasurable appreciation for the music and oeuvre of the band Phish but I don't think there is one lyric of theirs that wallops me when I hear it.
Franco

Postby k_uger » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:09 pm

is it Trey?

you can put it in spoilers if you’d like..

also does this feature a retelling of the Winnebago story with the mushrooms at the old Grand Union??
we are mrs pizza shit
k_uger

Postby Quigley » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:58 pm

It is Trey.Toggle Spoiler I don't know that story but there is a charming teen mushroom story in there that relates to Meat I think.

Summer of 89 "our days are full, but they're not our own" is a lyric that wallops me when I hear it.
Quigley

Postby k_uger » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:16 pm

I think their lyrics are often brilliant as abstract poetry.. Petrichor would be a great example of this, "and the rain came down" isn't profound in any way on its own, but the picture it creates in harmony with the music is just perfect... Divided Sky, Clod, Moma Dance, Limb By Limb, Pebbles and Marbles... are all examples of this to varying degrees.. and probably don't get credit for being as effective as they are. while I'm not going to place them on the level of great lyrics to me per se there has to be a better way to describe my appreciation for them as words paired to music in a very pleasing way.. perfect in the sense that I'm not sure if they would be improved even if they were what are widely considered in rock and pop to be "GOOD LYRICS". does that make sense?

in terms of more literal lyrics, there's still a lot that I feel are strong not just "for Phish".. FEFY, Dirt, All of These Dreams, Anything But Me, Driver, Sleep..
we are mrs pizza shit
k_uger

Postby Franco » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:32 pm

i agree with that for sure. i call that the cumberland blues effect. in which the line completely disappears between syllable and melody
Franco

Postby k_uger » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:41 pm

99 listening project from 2016 part 2 notes:

-12/4/99 is better all around than I remember, and Cinci or Albany 99 would make great two show releases.. Nassau would too even
-12/7/99 Gin would be a fine argument for the best of the year, believe it or not
-99 would be a fine argument for “the year of gin” along with 97, 98, 00, & 03.. take your pick I guess!
-12/10/99 Tweezer is very nice for a 14 minute jam.. great opener, but the first set falls flat after that..
-additionally after a GREAT Jibboo and long and groovy Wedge the David Bowie fails to live up to its promise by never resolving.. Bowie -> Have Mercy -> HYHU (with shades of both Bowie & HM as it segues in) > Cracklin Rosie > HYHU would have been an old school style epic classic if they had finished it.. the Fishman sequence had the crowd going WILD but it fails to hold up as more than a solid effort after it just moves along into a standard type I Twist
-Bowie -> Have Mercy -> HYHU > Cracklin’ Rosie > HYHU > Have Mercy -> Bowie... there’s a dimension out there somewhere where this happened and IT RULES
-that Waste tho... lots of extra 99 mustard on that!! & Ride Captain Ride is beautiful as always, such a delight to hear both Trey play & Page sing
-12/11/99 set I is still unreal good (the Mule even!!)
-Sally -> GHOST -> 2001 -> DWD is still an all time segment of music for me.. one of the things that comes to mind when I try to define MY jam
we are mrs pizza shit
k_uger

Postby k_uger » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:21 pm

this podcast is phan-911!!
we are mrs pizza shit
k_uger

Postby k_uger » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:07 am

it’s adorable that Trey thinks the audience doesn’t notice when Page gets new keyboards
we are mrs pizza shit
k_uger

Postby VHGisdead » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:15 am

k_uger wrote:this podcast is phan-911!!

Totally
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.
VHGisdead

Postby Franco » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:09 am

God I love Petrichor. Just had to stop the podcast halfway through to listen to it in full once he told the story on the song and they played that sample.
Franco

Postby Kenny » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:14 am

I really like "Oh to be Prince Caspian, afloat on the waves" but that's because I'm a fucking nerd Narnia fan and also think it would be amazing to float in Narnia discovering cool places and having no real danger
Image REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS ImageImage
Never forget, other opinions are available
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby howiep » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:55 pm

I think the lyrics and the musical moments with them in The Curtain With really hit me.
howiep

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:39 pm

Want to throw in my highest rec for that podcast ep with Tom and secret special guest. I've heard Tom talk before but it really just cemented how special the whole Phish experience is for him. Can't even imagine what it's like to take an intimate process like poetry writing with yr closest friend and watch it transform into this experience that gives joy to so many other people. It really seems like a profound thing for him on one level, but then he's also such a phan and just geeking out like we do itt about it all! Dude sounds awesome
rich uncle skeleton

Postby howiep » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:00 pm

Yeah, this podcast is so great. Makes me so happy to listen to these guys cheese out about these silly songs.
howiep

Postby Quigley » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:27 pm

The Curtain is a great call, those lyrics are evocative of so much of the phish experience.

Was thinking today how great it would be if Trey got really into Indian classical music and brought a sitar on tour as his next obsession. Every time a jam gets spacey Trey heads for the sitar, so much so that half the fanbase complains about the goddamn sitar, why won't he just play guitar, etc, the rest of us tripping the fuck out on 20 minute sitar jams. I feel like this could happen.
Quigley

Postby k_uger » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:35 pm

Franco wrote:God I love Petrichor. Just had to stop the podcast halfway through to listen to it in full once he told the story on the song and they played that sample.

YES I ADORE PETRICHOR!

and the Atom Heart Mother comparison was PERFECT

not to go neg but did anyone disagree with Trey’s take on Page?? maybe it’s just because I’ve been listening to a ton of 99 lately... also one of my few criticisms of last summer was what I felt were often clunky keyboard shifts, even tho I loved the new sounds and the extensive use of the wurli / rhodes
we are mrs pizza shit
k_uger

Postby k_uger » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:05 pm

by “disagree” I mean specifically that I don’t think page is wading out into deep synth land for the first time, he was quite diverse throughout 99-04, and even got really heavy into the Moog and Yamaha CX-60(90?) 1-2-punch in 09!
we are mrs pizza shit
k_uger

Postby Quigley » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:25 pm

This little dude is ready for a bustout - didn't show up in the BD, hasn't been played since 2011:

Quigley

Postby k_uger » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:07 am

it was also one of the songs I think Trey was searching for from the Farmhouse writing sessions that was pushed back to the FH album
we are mrs pizza shit
k_uger

PreviousNext

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.