Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby grammatron » Tue May 29, 2018 12:16 am

I guess the thing is that, overall, I like REM's weirder, darker stuff, and I like their upbeat stuff. Up isn't upbeat, and it isn't weird, experimental, dark, or anything like that. It feels like a band's 11th album, when they're done pushing any sort of boundaries, they're mega-rich and comfortable in life, they're in their 40s and have been doing this band thing for 25+ years, and they're making a record because it's what a band does. It doesn't seem like it's saying anything, and it's not taking any chances. It feels very safe by-the-numbers. I will listen to it more this week, but that's certainly my first impression. And yeah, I assume all of their remaining records are like this, but I've never heard any of the stuff from after New Adventures, so now's as good as a time as any to go through 'em.
grammatron

Postby DasLofGang » Tue May 29, 2018 12:19 am

oh yeah no boundaries being pushed at all

it's sitting by the window with a cocoa and a blankie and just feeling wistful
heaven’s full of murderers
DasLofGang

Postby badhat » Tue May 29, 2018 12:32 am

oh god i feel so the opposite of that

up is like the most out-there weird release in their whole canon.

and i’d argue its pretty dark too.

its just sorta like “the fluorescent fog of modernity will kill us all” dark.
admittedly the metal thread has recently taken a hit
badhat

Postby grammatron » Tue May 29, 2018 12:35 am

It's like lite-rock adult contemporary. One album before had a song w/ a siren blasting through the entire thing and a lead single with no hooks that featured Patti Smith.

But I'll give it a serious front-to-back listen tomorrow and see if my opinion changes.
grammatron

Postby laserblast » Tue May 29, 2018 12:36 am

fwiw i think that is an absolutely wrong view of up, i.e., i agree with badhat
laserblast

Postby gordie blue eyes » Tue May 29, 2018 12:36 am

DasLofGang wrote:
gordie blue eyes wrote:i honestly think accelerate is worse than around the sun

there's some stinkers on it for sure but i'm curious what leads you to this

i soulseeked around the sun a couple months after it came out and got actually mad at the mp3 files. that i didn't pay for. i was angry with them and the folder they came in.

they're both really bad. i kind of like leaving new york and aftermath and the q-tip song as twee pop things i dunno. accelerate is just 30 mins of melodyless sludge imo. stipe does his monotone bark singing thing for 90% of the album and it all sounds like shit.
gordie blue eyes
Reclining in the sky on a cloud with silver lining

Postby grammatron » Tue May 29, 2018 12:42 am

Well, 30 minutes of melody-less sludge kinda sounds like my bag, so color me excited.
grammatron

Postby blurst of times » Tue May 29, 2018 12:44 am

man, i listened to accelerate all the way through for the first time(!) a few weeks ago, and i was surprised how much i liked it. it very consciously tries to recall life's rich pageant and document, but i think it mostly works and it's probably their best post-new adventures album (imo).
blurst of times
ride.

Postby KPH » Tue May 29, 2018 12:46 am

badhat otm

I don't think they entirely succeeded but each song is such a departure from what came before. Everything after Up sadly is the lite-rock whatever.
KPH

Postby blurst of times » Tue May 29, 2018 12:47 am

also agree with badhat re: up being a super-weird album. not that i think that necessarily makes it great, but it shows they were still willing to try new things at that late stage in their career, which is worth something
blurst of times
ride.

Postby moisturization » Tue May 29, 2018 5:51 am

UP would've been a nice way to end it and honour that joke they made about breaking up on new years '99

i think there was more for them to explore in that direction but they just retreated and sat in the middle of the road as if they were stung by the criticism

accelerate/collapse recouped some goodwill but they're basically fan/critic service, or their idea of it. and fuck jacknife lee
moisturization

Postby Grey Poupon » Tue May 29, 2018 5:54 am

gordie blue eyes wrote:i honestly think accelerate is worse than around the sun

the production is so utterly shite like lumpy concrete oatmeal

Up is like U2's Pop in that it was kinda seen as disappointing at the time, but looking at what they produced afterwards it's like their last really interesting album
Last edited by Grey Poupon on Tue May 29, 2018 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby moisturization » Tue May 29, 2018 5:55 am

so is the art direction
moisturization

Postby neuartillery » Tue May 29, 2018 6:53 am

I thought I would like Accelerate more than I did. The production is exhausting and there isn't much depth to the songwriting. Stipe forces almost every vocal and it's grating to my ears.

It is still exponentially better than Around the Sun.
neuartillery

Postby Grey Poupon » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:38 pm

I enjoyed the New Adventures podcast a lot and the note about how all the songs are way too long was totally valid.
I think that's why when I put on the album I'll get through the first few songs and think man this rules! this is maybe my fave of their later period, by far! and then I burn out halfway through.

also the praise for Wake Up Bomb's attitude, rather than the song, is so true.. song makes you feel like THE SHIT

I had always assumed E-Bow has Marianne Faithful doing the chorus but oh duh of course it's Patti Smith, that explains the kinda cringey rap of the verses too, good mood though

Departure I want to like but now it just reminds me of that shitty barking repetitive songwriting 'rock' of Accelerate

I wonder if overlong songs is a symptom of bands "writing on the road" .. getting wrapped up in the moment and enjoying playing the songs, whereas in the studio you're more critical in approach and less likely to stretch out. I do like the looseness of it though. And if it was 10 3 to 4 minute songs it would be their best 90's album, or at least equal best with Automatic, like two sides of the same coin.
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby misadventurous » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:46 pm

Their actual last album is decent and Up is growing on me but i really can't help but feel like New Adventures should've been their last. i mean it literally ends on "I'm outta here"

Accelerate has some ok moments but what the fuck is "I'm Gonna DJ" jesus christ stipe
misadventurous

Postby gordie blue eyes » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:54 pm

i love e-bow + obviously have nothing to back this up with but it's insane how badly e-bow as lead single off hi-fi tripped them up. it's always been interesting to think about how things could have went differently if they reintroduced themselves to the world with bittersweet me.
gordie blue eyes

Postby laserblast » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:57 pm

I like the length of New Adventures. It's part of the charm.
laserblast

Postby blurst of times » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:44 pm

I tried out Scott's alternate up track listing and I think I'm much more into the album now. Doing hope into daysleeper to lead off and ending with airportman are both genius decisions
blurst of times
ride.

Postby FourLegsGood » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:08 pm

The production on Up is amazing. I wish it was married with stronger songs/melodies. Will second that Aukerman's tracklist makes the whole thing much more listenable.
easy wrote:GOD DAMN IT
FourLegsGood

Postby uncledoj » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:36 pm

Up episode of the podcast was pretty awkward and not good I thought. Don't think Scott felt comfortable giving his full throated opinion on the songs in the face of Scott's universal enthusiasm for all of them.
uncledoj

Postby badhat » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:47 pm

gordie blue eyes wrote:i love e-bow + obviously have nothing to back this up with but it's insane how badly e-bow as lead single off hi-fi tripped them up. it's always been interesting to think about how things could have went differently if they reintroduced themselves to the world with bittersweet me.

it was definitely an odd choice

particularly so given hi-fi was their first release of their puzzlingly exorbitant $80mil WB re-up
badhat

Postby gordie blue eyes » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:55 pm

uncledoj wrote:Up episode of the podcast was pretty awkward and not good I thought. Don't think Scott felt comfortable giving his full throated opinion on the songs in the face of Scott's universal enthusiasm for all of them.

yeah this was disappointing but not unexpected. it's bound to get a lot more awkward once we hit around the sun :s
gordie blue eyes

Postby edgeev » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:03 pm

New Adventures was the last release of the first Warner Brothers contract. Up was the first of the new contract.
edgeev

Postby edgeev » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:04 pm

Which was signed before New Adventures flopped
edgeev

Postby edgeev » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:07 pm

“Guys, all of these great songs are about 6 minutes each. We need to sign them to the biggest deal ever. There’s so much music, we owe them that much.”
edgeev

Postby badhat » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:11 pm

are you sure? i may have gotten turned around cuz the deal was announced in 1996
(the year hifi came out) and was accompanied by press preview of hifi

http://articles.latimes.com/1996-08-25/ ... arner-bros

up as the first under the big contract is even weirder tho
badhat

Postby badhat » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:11 pm

edgeev wrote:Which was signed before New Adventures flopped

gotcha
badhat

Postby edgeev » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:20 pm

I forget the exact details, but I think Warner Brothers was in a transition period and needed a big name signing. Surprise! Bill Berry just quit and apparently he made them write all the good stuff.
edgeev

Postby badhat » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:24 pm

you’d have to feel like a bit of an asshole taking WBs money and high hopes and delivering Up. and i love up.

of maybe you wouldnt feel like an asshole at all

seems like itd be embarrassing tho.
badhat

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....