Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby laserblast » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:57 pm

I like the length of New Adventures. It's part of the charm.
laserblast

Postby blurst of times » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:44 pm

I tried out Scott's alternate up track listing and I think I'm much more into the album now. Doing hope into daysleeper to lead off and ending with airportman are both genius decisions
blurst of times
ride.

Postby FourLegsGood » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:08 pm

The production on Up is amazing. I wish it was married with stronger songs/melodies. Will second that Aukerman's tracklist makes the whole thing much more listenable.
easy wrote:GOD DAMN IT
FourLegsGood

Postby uncledoj » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:36 pm

Up episode of the podcast was pretty awkward and not good I thought. Don't think Scott felt comfortable giving his full throated opinion on the songs in the face of Scott's universal enthusiasm for all of them.
uncledoj

Postby badhat » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:47 pm

gordie blue eyes wrote:i love e-bow + obviously have nothing to back this up with but it's insane how badly e-bow as lead single off hi-fi tripped them up. it's always been interesting to think about how things could have went differently if they reintroduced themselves to the world with bittersweet me.

it was definitely an odd choice

particularly so given hi-fi was their first release of their puzzlingly exorbitant $80mil WB re-up
admittedly the metal thread has recently taken a hit
badhat

Postby gordie blue eyes » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:55 pm

uncledoj wrote:Up episode of the podcast was pretty awkward and not good I thought. Don't think Scott felt comfortable giving his full throated opinion on the songs in the face of Scott's universal enthusiasm for all of them.

yeah this was disappointing but not unexpected. it's bound to get a lot more awkward once we hit around the sun :s
gordie blue eyes
Reclining in the sky on a cloud with silver lining

Postby edgeev » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:03 pm

New Adventures was the last release of the first Warner Brothers contract. Up was the first of the new contract.
edgeev

Postby edgeev » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:04 pm

Which was signed before New Adventures flopped
edgeev

Postby edgeev » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:07 pm

“Guys, all of these great songs are about 6 minutes each. We need to sign them to the biggest deal ever. There’s so much music, we owe them that much.”
edgeev

Postby badhat » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:11 pm

are you sure? i may have gotten turned around cuz the deal was announced in 1996
(the year hifi came out) and was accompanied by press preview of hifi

http://articles.latimes.com/1996-08-25/ ... arner-bros

up as the first under the big contract is even weirder tho
badhat

Postby badhat » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:11 pm

edgeev wrote:Which was signed before New Adventures flopped

gotcha
badhat

Postby edgeev » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:20 pm

I forget the exact details, but I think Warner Brothers was in a transition period and needed a big name signing. Surprise! Bill Berry just quit and apparently he made them write all the good stuff.
edgeev

Postby badhat » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:24 pm

you’d have to feel like a bit of an asshole taking WBs money and high hopes and delivering Up. and i love up.

of maybe you wouldnt feel like an asshole at all

seems like itd be embarrassing tho.
badhat

Postby FourLegsGood » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:24 pm

Yeah, my understanding is that Warner Bros were in major transition and leaking talent. They were desperate to sign REM right before New Adventures. After the deal, the record flopped. The band began working on new material but Berry confided in Mills that he was gonna leave. Mills alerted Buck that something bad was coming and the next day Berry made it official telling the group that he wouldn't leave if it meant that they'd break up. They didn't wanna force his hand so they continued.
FourLegsGood

Postby FourLegsGood » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:26 pm

I've always thought that the course correction of Reveal came one album too late. If "imitation of Life" came out in '98 it'd would've been a smash but the back to back of Hi Fi and Up was irreversible at that point.
FourLegsGood

Postby Clive » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:11 am

Listened to Up for the first time a couple weeks ago and relistened a few times since, and agree w a lot of takes in the past few pages (re: production & all that) but it’s crazy how it feels like they approached songwriting from a completely different perspective on this (ie melody and song craft), it’s as if the people who wrote/performed this album had even never heard IRS era REM and were influenced solely by Bacharach/Brian Wilson/whatever the latest electronic pop was in ‘98 (st Étienne? AIR? Cardigans? I don’t know why this is the only stuff popping in my head rt now, but I feel like a lot of this is r derivative of other stuff at the time).

Sometimes feels like M.Stipe doing guest vocals on another artist’s album.

That all being said, “You’re in the Air” is one of the most beautiful songs they’ve ever done. Those string arrangements just kill me.
Last edited by Clive on Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clive

Postby gordie blue eyes » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:20 am

yeah i can't really ride for aukerman's tracklist as it doesn't include you're in the air. how are you gonna leave off you're in the air
gordie blue eyes

Postby gordie blue eyes » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:52 am

does anybody have anything at all good to say about reveal? it struck me while listening to it again for the first time in a decade that it could very well be the worst one
gordie blue eyes

Postby DasLofGang » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:59 am

I really like I’ve been high

imitation of life on the other hand I find fluffier and more cloying than shiny happy people, and it’s the one supppsedly salvageable song that people actually like
I don’t think George Washington and those guys were thinking that deep into it. They prob would be like WHAT!!??? Ok we need to change this part……
DasLofGang

Postby Mr. Towel » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:24 pm

Kind of can't believe Aukerman likes Reveal more than Up. Didn't see that one coming. Is there a chance he somehow finds a way to appreciate AtS?
Mr. Towel

Postby laserblast » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:36 pm

gordie blue eyes wrote:does anybody have anything at all good to say about reveal? it struck me while listening to it again for the first time in a decade that it could very well be the worst one

http://forums.hipinion.com/viewtopic.php?p=7147993#p7147993
laserblast

Postby light rail coyote » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:49 pm

I'm so far behind on this dang podcast
light rail coyote

Postby Thalidomide » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:09 pm

Aukerman always seemed to like the most bland late-period U2 stuff. It makes perfect sense that he'd like Reveal. He's an old boring guy who's into 'songcraft.' Wouldn't shock me if he floats the opinion that Around the Sun is better or more consistent than, like, Out of Time.
You are psychic.
You do not masturbate.
You do not know anger. Your patience is infinite.
Snakes are not dangerous to you. There are no snakes in the bottom of your bed.
Thalidomide

Postby Thalidomide » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:11 pm

Like, he talks about liking the Western-tinged guitar on Reveal and that is exactly what sucks about Reveal.
You are psychic.
You do not masturbate.
You do not know anger. Your patience is infinite.
Snakes are not dangerous to you. There are no snakes in the bottom of your bed.
Thalidomide

Postby Brain Stew » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:37 pm

I love Reveal. Beat A Drum makes me want to cry.
You know, signatures are pretty night bus...
Brain Stew

Postby Clive » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:57 am

Thalidomide wrote:Aukerman always seemed to like the most bland late-period U2 stuff. It makes perfect sense that he'd like Reveal. He's an old boring guy who's into 'songcraft.' Wouldn't shock me if he floats the opinion that Around the Sun is better or more consistent than, like, Out of Time.

Yeah, Aukerman tried to make the argument that a lot of the tracks on Out of Time weren’t technically “songs” and that “Bittersweet Me” (admittedly a great song) was their best since Lifes Rich Pageant. At least (Adam) Scott called him out on that.
Last edited by Clive on Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clive

Postby tarantula » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:00 am

tarantula

Postby grammatron » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:43 am

So I warmed up to a few of the songs on Up a little individually, but I just couldn't get into the album as a whole. I made it through Reveal once, and I'm not sure I've got the patience for a second listen. Everything sounds the same and it's just so boring.
grammatron

Postby gordie blue eyes » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:38 am

laserblast wrote:
gordie blue eyes wrote:does anybody have anything at all good to say about reveal? it struck me while listening to it again for the first time in a decade that it could very well be the worst one

http://forums.hipinion.com/viewtopic.php?p=7147993#p7147993

fun post! this is good rock n roll uhh content
gordie blue eyes

Previous

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.