Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby forest design » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:07 pm

:cry:
bongo wrote:august 2016 i was working at a wine place and adjuncting at two colleges and in the amazing early stages of my relationship with my now wife. it was a very happy and ecstatic time but also a very chaotic one since i was in the throes of peak alcoholism and was blackout drinking almost every night and having full blown withdrawal panic attacks every day. the record saw me into recovery and continues to be a very good balm/psychological and emotional boon for me

❤️
forest design

Postby hyperbole man » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:17 pm

frank had been on my radar because i dug nostalgia, ultra, but for whatever reason channel orange didn't get its hooks into me the way it did for my friends (and for critics, the board, etc.). when blond came out i listened to it out of a sense of obligation, but then was totally floored and became obsessed with it.

i was dating someone for the first time after a long stretch without any romantic intrigue in my life at all, and i had fallen pretty hard for him, which wasn't really reciprocated. it had been such a humid and sweltering summer, which was rough for my anxiety. i remember faking sick from work on what turned out to be the first cool, almost fall-like day in late august, and i spent the afternoon into early evening just wandering around my neighborhood listening to blond 2 or 3 times, letting it suffuse me and calm me and carry me. i think i posted something to facebook like "i didn't love channel orange, but blond is changing my life tonight," which was kind of a silly thing to say but still feels true to that moment writing it out again now.

<3
hyperbole man
post/username

Postby joymonger » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:52 am

2016 was a bad year for me. i separated from my wife the year before and my self loathing was at an all-time high, feeling ashamed of the person i was, but also in a new-ish relationship with a girl who was/is extremely good to me. most nights, my thoughts bounced between wanting to just break it off, thinking the foundation was shit and couldn't possibly sustain a real relationship, or just wanting to cease to existing. it felt like i hardened myself so much to weather through the long, drawn out divorce process, that i was incapable of receiving and giving love anymore. it's an issue i still feel like i struggle with, but blond came along at a time where i was just so tired and beaten down, that i believe that it was integral in my healing. i remember listening to the record over the course of several days, not really connecting with it, until the "i brought trees to blow through, but it's just me and no you" line in "solo" hit me, and it just brought with it so much of the burden i'd been carrying with me, the loneliness, the guilt i'd been feeling. but also that healing and comfort.

it was honestly a lesson in empathy for me. listening to this person struggle with their own isolation and fuck ups, expressing their desire for their own healing and comfort in such a beautifully presented way kind of made me stop thinking about myself for a bit and feel for someone else.
joymonger

Postby joymonger » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:56 am

thank you, frank.
joymonger

Postby danno » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:09 am

lots of beautiful posts

hearing the elliott smith quote on seigfried for the first time was particularly emotional for me, it was like this weird time loop where this record who would be so important in making me feel a little less alone with my doubts and worries at 24 suddenly morphed into the one that did when I was 14

danno

Postby ripersnifle » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:43 am

^wow yeah.
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
Totally wrote:also to the really creepily obsessed kid frothing NON-US SPORTS GEAR IS A COMPLEXITY-SIGNALING DEVICE FOR AGEING HIPSTER ACOLYTES WHO DOWNLOAD MOANA: I have a lot of friends (and an apartment) in Geelong. Get a fuckin life man.
ripersnifle

Postby warmjets » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:03 am

hyperbole man wrote:frank had been on my radar because i dug nostalgia, ultra, but for whatever reason channel orange didn't get its hooks into me the way it did for my friends (and for critics, the board, etc.). when blond came out i listened to it out of a sense of obligation, but then was totally floored and became obsessed with it.

My feelings exactly. Blonde is a masterpiece, one of my favorite albums from the last 10 years.
warmjets

Postby loaf angel » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:04 am

lotta these posts are just ripersnifles steakspoon quote sig
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron
loaf angel

Postby dcm » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:37 am

I'll echo the sentiment of those who didn't connect with CO but recognized Frank as a huge talent hitting home hard with others, worth keeping an eye and ear on.

I was in Omaha when Blonde leaked. I was just visiting for a weekend, the first time I'd been there since moving away a year and a half prior. Over that weekend I reached out to a girl I had briefly seen in college. Our relationship had never achieved liftoff, which left me stewing in a pool of resentment and discontent that torpedoed any chance of friendship at the moment of its dissolution. Needless to say she was my first real love and I learned a lot of first real love lessons. But now it's 2016, years after the fact, lessons learned. I had moved back home, she had been living and working in South Dakota around that time and I knew she had been seeing someone else for two years or so. I had seen a Facebook post of hers that led me to think she may have been back from SD, so I hit her up.

She ended up coming over to the place I was staying at late that Saturday night (I was leaving Sunday), and we caught up around a campfire. Two other friends were there but they quickly went to sleep and it was just us. We talked. She spoke powerfully about her experiences teaching kindergarten on a reservation, how her relationship had met its end months earlier, and some genuinely insane family shit involving a secret brother. I quickly accepted I still wasn't really over her, and astonishingly she still appeared to hold tender feelings for me. We ended up staying up all night talking on a dirty mattress in my friend's basement, making out sporadically. We fell asleep for a couple hours in the early morning, and I can still remember waking up with my arm around her, staring at the ceiling, thinking about all the times I had dreamed this exact scenario, and the crushing sadness of waking up from those dreams. But this time I was awake, and in that moment I felt a sense of closure wash over me in a way that felt truly once-in-a-lifetime. Knowing that I had her friendship again made me so happy that anything romantic beyond that night would just be gravy.

So this is where I'm at when a couple hours later I'm in the car heading home on an eight hour drive with one of my best friends. Cloud nine. We decide to hold off on Blonde until we hit the interstate and can really lean into it. Sun's shining, life is good. We finally put it on and immediately I'm thrown. I wanted an album that would have me screaming out the window in joy. I wanted.....bangers. By the time it's done I'm more or less resigned to the fact that I may just never get Frank Ocean. I didn't listen to it again for two months.

Two months later I'm back in my car, heading out on a road trip with no real plans or timeline for return. I only know two things for sure: 1) I'm going to make it through Omaha again and 2) I'd like to figure out a way to the conflict occurring at Standing Rock. Was my desire to pursue the latter influenced in some part by having heard my friend speak on her experiences on Native land, and wanting to have some experience of my own to share with her? Yes. It wasn't the only reason, but it was a not-insignificant contributing factor.

On the road to Chicago now, I put Blonde on for the second time, I'm not even sure what compels me. I'm thinking about my friend, thinking about that night two months earlier...

If you could die and come back to life/Up for air from the swimming pool

Did you call me from a seance/You are from a past life

Wondering what it is I really want from the relationship now.

I could dream all night, dream all night/I could drive all night

Suddenly the album is blowing my mind.

In Chicago now and the Cubs have just won the World Series. I'm reading a book about God and parts of it are making enough sense to me to induce a small panic attack. I put the book down and put my headphones on.

It's hell on Earth and the city's on fire/inhale, in hell there's heaven

I fall asleep with the album on a loop, waking up once to Nikes, feeling cradled.

The album soundtracked that entire road trip, lasting almost two months. I listened to it on the way into Cincinnati, where I witnessed the election. In Nashville, Kansas City, Colorado, Omaha, Iowa, and over all the roads connecting them.

I ended up having the opportunity to go to Standing Rock with my friend, but ended up turning it down when I determined that it would be gross to turn that place into a site for my vague romantic yearnings to (maybe? hopefully?) play out. Somewhere between Chicago and Cincy I had made plans to go with friends from Colorado, and after some long discussion with a friend in KC and communion with the I Ching and Frank, I resolved to follow that plan. I knew I would still hit Omaha on my way home.

That road trip ended with me rolling into Omaha on the night of my friend's birthday. We spent an incredible 10 days together. It wasn't a promise of anything more, or even a hope -- it was just an incredible 10 days. Near the end she told me she loved me. I knew the difference between that and stay, and wouldn't have traded it.

I let go of my claim on you, it's a free world

Anyways, I did mushrooms last night and that girl texted me, so here's a post.
dcm

Postby dcm » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:43 am

Ended up moving to Colorado, falling in love with one of the people I did end up going to Standing Rock with, and she's sleeping next to me as I hit submit.

I also love Channel Orange now.
dcm

Postby ripersnifle » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:44 am

loaf angel wrote:lotta these posts are just ripersnifles steakspoon quote sig
lol
mine was totally
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
Totally wrote:also to the really creepily obsessed kid frothing NON-US SPORTS GEAR IS A COMPLEXITY-SIGNALING DEVICE FOR AGEING HIPSTER ACOLYTES WHO DOWNLOAD MOANA: I have a lot of friends (and an apartment) in Geelong. Get a fuckin life man.
ripersnifle

Postby madness and chaos » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:53 am

need new frank
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby Beaver King » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:40 pm

I think we're gonna see some new frank this year
Beaver King
ok

Postby The Emperor's Son » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:00 pm

i trust and hope he takes his time
The Emperor's Son

Postby Ankh » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:01 pm

hurry the fuck up frank!!!
Ankh
senior fellow

Postby The Emperor's Son » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:11 pm

maybe my favorite thing is how he's removed himself from the artist fulfillment and expectation narrative cycles
The Emperor's Son

Postby cruiserbob » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:15 pm

my favorite thing is his music
and that's that.
cruiserbob

Postby The Emperor's Son » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:23 pm

i think he recognizes how it helps him create his music
The Emperor's Son

Postby loaf angel » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:26 pm

I hope he rushes it and it's really bad so we can reminisce in 2 years where we were when frank broke our hearts
loaf angel

Postby loaf angel » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:27 pm

I don't think you could remove yourself from artistic fulfillment and expectation more than by releasing an album of terrible music
loaf angel

Postby bongo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:42 pm

The Emperor's Son wrote:maybe my favorite thing is how he's removed himself from the artist fulfillment and expectation narrative cycles

totally. well this and the music
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby The Emperor's Son » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:46 pm

pretty okay w/ him just releasing a nice song whenever he makes one forever
The Emperor's Son

Postby Ankh » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:51 pm

hoping though that his "if you liked 2017 you'll love 2018" hint, and how quiet he's been so far this year, means he's accumulating stuff for a release later in the year
Ankh
senior fellow

Postby cooly » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:01 pm

can't wait for black friday when there's a box set of nostalgia channel orange blond endless and a new one on sale for 50 bucks and i pick that up
can wrote:old lady [whispering]
cooly

Postby bongo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:12 pm

yeah that’s gonna own
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby Ersaph » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:18 pm

Provider is one of my favorite songs
And I feel like this year is really about, just the year of realizing stuff.
Ersaph

Postby pez viking » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:21 pm

cooly wrote:can't wait for black friday when there's a box set of nostalgia channel orange blond endless and a new one on sale for 50 bucks and i pick that up

in
pez viking

Postby Ankh » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:30 pm

Ersaph wrote:Provider is one of my favorite songs

it's incredible that all of the 2017 tracks were grade A
Ankh
senior fellow

Postby madness and chaos » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:49 pm

just realized I've never once spun nostalgia
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby madness and chaos » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:49 pm

and endless less than 10 times, to save it for when I really need some frank
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....