Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby vault » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:58 pm

Thanks everybody. I'm looking for something to send to parents, though, for important school info. This is an elementary class and it's a hassle trying to keep up english and spanish versions of everything. If I can figure this out I can just send out mass bilingual texts and the info is guaranteed to get through.
vault

Postby fury » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:45 pm

What is a good place to find quotes to put up? Not necessarily a poster.
fury
ok

Postby fury » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:51 am

Every year I forget how exhausting the first week is. I’m dead.
fury
ok

Postby conductor » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:55 pm

Godspeed. I am lucky to not go back until Tuesday (and not actually have kids until Wednesday because Tuesday is just for Freshmen).

Fairly obvious but I use brainyquotes.com. I have a quote on my warmup slide every day --- it's a fun way to expose your students to Noam Chomsky!
conductor

Postby tolka » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:18 pm

love being back tbqh
Night porter wrote:Ftr I disagree with myself
tolka
ok

Postby abs » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:14 pm

conductor wrote:--- it's a fun way to expose your students to Noam Chomsky!

got this email from a former student today:

Hey!

I was reading an article for my First Year Seminar (Comedy Satire in the Digital Age) and realized that Nim Chimpsky followed me all the way to college.

:D

this week was faculty meetings and registration next week / first day teaching on Thursday. so exhausted but pretty excited too.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
abs
Queen Witch

Postby conductor » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:42 pm

I had a truly wonderful first week back... Love the classes I pulled this year, and 4/5 of my sections are incredible so far. Really thoughtful students who seem game for a huge variety of things. We'll see how things are in November but man, feeling great.

However... Insomnia thread cross-post, I'm already sleeping terribly. My insomnia is 100% work related and I'm wondering if any other teachers have dealt with it, or any work specific things that have worked. The main thing I know I need to do is making sure I don't save any prep until morning, but it's an extremely hard habit for me to break because I've always procrastinated and I rationalize it by saying that I have time to finish easily in the morning, which is true, but... Doesn't seem to convince me.
conductor

Postby conductor » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:50 pm

Also I partner with a community college to teach a college-credit class, and I received my first observation by one of their professors today, on the 3rd day of school :shock:

It went well but I was a little taken aback.
conductor

Postby conductor » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:52 pm

TRIPLE POST --- how long have you been teaching, abs? I might be confusing you for someone else because I don't keep very good track of board folks, but I didn't realize you taught.
conductor

Postby christian » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:53 pm

I struggled with insomnia the first few years of teaching and I feel like I have gotten over it through yes, making good use of prep time (this took about 8 years), but also meditation exercises at night. Walking through the day's events and clearing them from my mind did wonders for settling down to rest.
I have also probably lost a not insignificant amount of passion... so that has helped remove some of the weight!
christian

Postby fury » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:54 pm

I like how I get sick after I stop doing fist bumps as they come in and just say a greeting
fury
ok

Postby abs » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:14 pm

conductor wrote:TRIPLE POST --- how long have you been teaching, abs? I might be confusing you for someone else because I don't keep very good track of board folks, but I didn't realize you taught.

this is only my second year, so I'm new to the game!
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
abs
Queen Witch

Postby conductor » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:29 pm

Nice! Hope you had a good first year. This is year 3 for me and the first time I haven't started the year 100% overwhelmed.

Thanks for the advice, Christian. Not exactly good in terms of habits, but I'm fortunate to teach the same class twice, have my prep, and then switch to another class the rest of the day. I'm realizing I can pretty easily prep for the second class in the morning (which should help my sleep), but my goal over there next 2 weeks is to use my prep entirely for the next day.
conductor

Postby rushedbehind » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:20 am

just signed the contract for my first teaching job next year. feels good
rushedbehind

Postby criss elliott » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:00 pm

hello

anybody have americorps experience, or experience working with americorps participants?
criss elliott

Previous

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....