Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby sadville » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:59 am

I also am doing quiz bowl! It's a blast. Holla if y'all need help/suggestions. We are hosting our first tournament in like 10 years in two weeks, should be stressful!
a dong is
sadville

Postby fury » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:23 pm

This one kid is emotionally disturbed and is special ed. He can't get through a day without either cussing at or being horrible to others. And they can't move him to a better school for him for three more weeks. He literally ignores things most adults tell him.
fury
ok

Postby tiggerwoulds » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:30 pm

Was a Paraprofessional AMA. Wait, don't. I'm bound by confidentiality not to discuss anything
tiggerwoulds

Postby sadville » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:07 pm

great sentences from student writing:

"Other from being a really evil and crazy person, Hitler is also extremely talented at being a leader and is smart and foxy."Toggle Spoiler

to be fair, this student's first language is not english
a dong is
sadville

Postby abs » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:11 pm

anyone else on a trimester system? shit, that first one went by so fast. new class on Monday!
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

thistle in the kiss
abs
Queen Witch

Postby ScaredGopher » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:33 am

I could live in this thread. But I'll be concise tonight.

Like a decade plus ago, on my first day of subbing for a middle school (my first day in any classroom ever), the very first thing any student (in this case an adorable 11 year old girl) said to me as I entered the room was: "You our sub? You look like a washed up underwear model. What happened to you?"

sadville wrote:great sentences from student writing:

"Other from being a really evil and crazy person, Hitler is also extremely talented at being a leader and is smart and foxy."Toggle Spoiler

to be fair, this student's first language is not english

I could, but shouldn't, and probably won't post the only essay I have ever saved after a class has been completed. It was college, freshman comp, and the student's first language was English; she had no identifiable or reported learning disabilities or accommodations. In class, she spoke normal 'Merican English but was demonstratively uninterested in applying anything that was taught. The work itself is syntactically unlike anything I have ever read -- before or since. I grade like 1000 papers a year. And the topic she chose was "sex" (for an extended definition essay); it was an unnerving confluence of inappropriate topic, absence of skill and critical thinking, and general apathy toward producing passing work. It happened like 5 years ago, and maybe one day I can post some of its contents in here, but it was once read by one of my best friends to a room of 20 people, and its initial reading was met with, and received, two immediate encores.
ScaredGopher

Postby conductor » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:39 am

It's fuckin breeeaaakkk :awful:
conductor

Postby dvr » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:55 am

Do secondary ed teaching licenses expire? Like I were to get an accredited teaching cert and didn't apply for jobs until a few years (5?) down the line would it still be 100% recognized? Ignoring the rest of the application/experience process.

I'm set up to get in-state tuition this summer at a very affordable half-decent university and I'm thinking it is a good time to pursue more education. Something directly applicable to more work opportunities down the line. So teaching (been an outdoor educator/teacher trainer for 10+ years) or biology (am an EMT, thinking of paramedic school).
dvr

Postby mancubz » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:17 am

depends where
NY makes people get a new license until you have a specific type of certification, and then you have to do specific stuff every year to maintain it.
elaine wrote:sharp knives sharp knives, cut the onion, cut the bell pepper, cut the steak, cut your wrists, cut your genitals, cut your brain out
mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby Dr. Norm Thagard » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:36 pm

Yeah, in ga it expires every 5 years, but if you've been working, your district hr person just fills out a form and that all. I think I remembered learning in school that it expires if you don't get a job within a certain time. You probably just have to take the praxis or a similar test again.
delgriffith wrote:Yeah Norm.

OKterrific wrote:Norm yay

Cronos wrote:The world needs more Norm

Feech La Manna wrote:well here's Norm at least

night moves wrote: People like you make up false boogeyman to blame for their emotions being out of control
Dr. Norm Thagard
Every superhero need her theme music

Postby dvr » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:59 pm

Thanks for the replies
dvr

Postby ocean pimp » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:18 pm

it's my last semester teaching at the university of alabama. i feel like things have finally clicked for me as an instructor: I feel so much less anxious then I did even last semester when I walk into the room to teach, I prepare less but am performing better, and I've said fuck the chapters from the stupid textbook. We're reading James Baldwin and the students are writing autobiographies.

the next unit's project is for them to analyze and critique a new-ish music video. i am giving them a list of videos to choose from, and I currently have about 10-15. does anyone have some videos they find particularly well-suited for student discussion/writing? they'll be talking about/writing about the video's rhetorical situation and making an assessment of how well it achieves its "purpose." I'm trying to have them bring in one or two sources to bolster their argument as well, so videos with locations, historical events, etc. that they would have to learn a bit about to fully understand the context of the video would be great!
i'm that bitch that listens to gangsta rap on the way to the farmers market after yoga
ocean pimp

Postby Catullus » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:25 pm

Oh cool I might have some give me a few <3
opi wrote:like i don't think it's possible for catullus to be duplicitous, whereas pretty much every other poster at the time struck me as having one foot in shinra
Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby ocean pimp » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:29 pm

thanks, catullus!

my students are freshman college students, btw.
i'm that bitch that listens to gangsta rap on the way to the farmers market after yoga
ocean pimp

Postby Catullus » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:48 pm

opi wrote:like i don't think it's possible for catullus to be duplicitous, whereas pretty much every other poster at the time struck me as having one foot in shinra
Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby ocean pimp » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:54 pm

yes! thank you! especially for the donald glover one, which I have never seen.

formation is one we'll talk about together in class, but i won't assign it as it already has a ton of stuff written about it and i don't want students to have the temptation to rely too heavily on previous critical writing. i'll give them the option of doing "pretty hurts" for their essay tho 8-)
ocean pimp

Postby ocean pimp » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:56 pm

i don't know why i waited like two years before doing this music video critique thing. or before teaching texts i'm actually interested in. previous semesters i kept thinking i had to meet these almost-entirely imaginary requirements for the english department, but then i realized no one gives a fuck, no one ever observes me or even checks in to see how my classes are going (aside from my cohort and my thesis advisor). So I can do whatever the fuck I want as long as i feel it has an educational purpose and the students gain some sort of skill/knowledge from it. And the students can definitely tell I am more engaged with the material, thus leading them to get more out of the class!
ocean pimp

Postby Guy Incognito » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:02 pm

curious how other instructors have dealt with these questions

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2018/01/24/578437957/laptops-and-phones-in-the-classroom-yea-nay-or-a-third-way

something that's been on my mind a lot. don't know much much the laptop thing is applicable to secondary education, but i'm sure phones are an even bigger deal for you folks.
wendy wrote:It is not dank
Guy Incognito
Infernal Dinosaur

Postby ocean pimp » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:08 pm

i make a comment about having them put away at the beginning of the semester, but surprisingly i don't have many issues with it. i make it a rule that they can't have laptops out except during specific writing times, and i give them paper copies of all the readings. maybe i'm just not as aware of it as i should be. but i also hold their attention fairly well, and i figure if they're not paying attention it's their money/time they're wasting.
ocean pimp

Postby ocean pimp » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:15 pm

also i am constantly pushing the idea of our class as a "community of writers" and emphasize that having a laptop or phone out and looking at things that aren't pertaining to the class is disrespectful to the other students.
ocean pimp

Postby MonkeyTennis » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:05 am

http://www.clickhole.com/article/down-wire-eagles-are-currently-leading-41-33-they--7307

Down To The Wire: The Eagles Are Currently Leading 41 To 33 As They Head Into The Essay Portion Of The Super Bowl

all my kids are seeing this tomorrow
MonkeyTennis

Postby rushedbehind » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:37 am

i'm about to start the second of two years of my master of teaching in melbourne, australia. i don't know what the u.s. system is like, but here the rules have changed so that all teachers now have to have a three year university degree (in a field at least semi-related to your teaching area) and a two-year masters to teach high school. i guess the reasoning is based around heightening teacher quality, but in my experience it just makes things prohibitively expensive in terms of debt accumulated, time, and opportunity cost. especially seeing as the economic outcomes aren't exactly earth shattering –– though i think we're paid a little better than in the u.s. (starting salary is around 65k aud here).

i do love the course and student teaching, but it's hard teaching pretty much a full load on placement while also having to work to support myself outside of that. i'm really looking forward to not being broke as hell next year. u.s. teachers, what was life like while you were student teaching? how did you balance it with other stuff?
rushedbehind

Postby Catullus » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:53 am

The requirements vary by state in the US. California requires a 4 year BA, and that degree can be in any number of things, because you need to pass a subject competency test. For elementary/multiple subject, it's just making sure you have foundation skills I believe (I haven't taken it cuz I'm high school), but for MS/HS it's specific to your content area. Once you pass the basic skills and subject tests, you need a year long post-BA teacher prep program with student teaching and to pass several task oriented exams/assessments.

Florida looks largely similar, and I'm in the process of getting my CA credential transferred.
Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby Catullus » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:56 am

I don't understand how anyone in Florida can afford it though. In CA in the bay, starting salaries are higher. The starting salaries in FL are bananas. Even a teacher with 9 years experience and a MA the base is only in the 40s. Thankfully I get a HUGE bump for coaching debate and it makes my salary pretty much the same as it was in CA.
Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby rushedbehind » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:49 pm

oh right, so if anything it seems like our system is becoming more similar to yours. up until now you could do a bachelor of education (very low entry standards, four years, very general content) and teach basically anything anywhere.
rushedbehind

Postby Dr. Norm Thagard » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:30 pm

MonkeyTennis wrote:http://www.clickhole.com/article/down-wire-eagles-are-currently-leading-41-33-they--7307

Down To The Wire: The Eagles Are Currently Leading 41 To 33 As They Head Into The Essay Portion Of The Super Bowl

all my kids are seeing this tomorrow

This is good

night moves wrote: People like you make up false boogeyman to blame for their emotions being out of control
Dr. Norm Thagard

Postby Dr. Norm Thagard » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:36 pm

Guy Incognito wrote:curious how other instructors have dealt with these questions

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2018/01/24/578437957/laptops-and-phones-in-the-classroom-yea-nay-or-a-third-way

something that's been on my mind a lot. don't know much much the laptop thing is applicable to secondary education, but i'm sure phones are an even bigger deal for you folks.

The first half of class is typically no tech. If I see it, I take it. I have a fanny pack I call a phoney pack.

The second half of class is open tech because that's independent work time. If the assignment is not online, there's still stuff they can do. I encourage them to listen to the audiobook as they read and to look up words and concepts they don't know.

I'm trying to teach them to be independent learners and to research as they read.

Dr. Norm Thagard

Postby Dr. Norm Thagard » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:47 pm

rushedbehind wrote:i'm about to start the second of two years of my master of teaching in melbourne, australia. i don't know what the u.s. system is like, but here the rules have changed so that all teachers now have to have a three year university degree (in a field at least semi-related to your teaching area) and a two-year masters to teach high school. i guess the reasoning is based around heightening teacher quality, but in my experience it just makes things prohibitively expensive in terms of debt accumulated, time, and opportunity cost. especially seeing as the economic outcomes aren't exactly earth shattering –– though i think we're paid a little better than in the u.s. (starting salary is around 65k aud here).

i do love the course and student teaching, but it's hard teaching pretty much a full load on placement while also having to work to support myself outside of that. i'm really looking forward to not being broke as hell next year. u.s. teachers, what was life like while you were student teaching? how did you balance it with other stuff?

When I was student teaching, I had no life because I was in a tough school, so tough it had a police substation at the school, and I taught seniors who were struggling to graduate. Of course, I took it on myself to save all my students. I also created all my lessons from scratch because I'm a perfectionist. I suggest using other people's stuff if you can.

I lost a ton of weight because worked 12+ hour days and often forgot to eat! My school had no food for vegetarians, so I was screwed.

Dr. Norm Thagard

Postby jon » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:11 pm

Anyone ever teach in a juvenile detention facility?
jon

Postby rushedbehind » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:58 pm

Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:
rushedbehind wrote:i'm about to start the second of two years of my master of teaching in melbourne, australia. i don't know what the u.s. system is like, but here the rules have changed so that all teachers now have to have a three year university degree (in a field at least semi-related to your teaching area) and a two-year masters to teach high school. i guess the reasoning is based around heightening teacher quality, but in my experience it just makes things prohibitively expensive in terms of debt accumulated, time, and opportunity cost. especially seeing as the economic outcomes aren't exactly earth shattering –– though i think we're paid a little better than in the u.s. (starting salary is around 65k aud here).

When I was student teaching, I had no life because I was in a tough school, so tough it had a police substation at the school, and I taught seniors who were struggling to graduate. Of course, I took it on myself to save all my students. I also created all my lessons from scratch because I'm a perfectionist. I suggest using other people's stuff if you can.

I lost a ton of weight because worked 12+ hour days and often forgot to eat! My school had no food for vegetarians, so I was screwed.

hell. did you have much/any choice where you were placed? my last placement i wrote all my own lesson plans as well, which was insanely time consuming and nearly broke me. this sounds worse though. at least i only have one placement left!
rushedbehind

PreviousNext

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.