Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby fury » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:30 am

just curious to see whos a teacher on here. i just started a student teaching program for high school english. how was the start of your student teaching?
fury
ok

Postby grammatron » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:29 am

I am a former teacher. I taught 8th grade reading briefly, then 9th, 10th, and 11th grade English for a few years. Student teaching was a breeze once I got going. Definitely get as much actual "teaching" time in as you can, because when you start a job you'll be thrown in the deep end. Having that experienced teacher there to help and critique what you're doing is worth a whole lot.
grammatron

Postby droctagon2000 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:49 am

Going into my 7th year, high school English (pretty much done all subjects, ESL, AP, etc.)

Totally agree that you should get as much actual teaching time as you can.

Also, try experimenting/finding out what feels right/is creative for you. Good thing about student teaching is you're not the teacher of record so you can go off course if you want because the guiding teacher won't let you mess up too badly.

Same goes (to a slightly lesser extent) your first year teaching since you can pull the new teacher card. But after that you've got to act like a bonafide, know-what-you're-doing teacher.
droctagon2000

Postby Science » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:58 am

I teach English in Korea. Probably too different an experience to relate much to teaching in the states. i'm pretty much an expert on student management by now though. I taught a class of 10 2nd graders to follow me around in military formation.
Science
Prometheus sucks.

Postby important dentist » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:00 pm

did my student teaching in middle/high school social studies in 2009, mostly substituting since, with a long-term job teaching geography and us history in a high school last year

ditto what grammatron said. once you find your groove, student teaching becomes much easier and you'll be able to focus more on making creative lessons/trying different strategies. find what works for you but still switch it up to see what will work for your students. this is all not to say that student teaching isn't exhausting, cause it is. so good luck.
"My foremost duty is to the board," Important Dentist countered. "I
cannot afford to spend that much time researching human sexuality."
important dentist

Postby important dentist » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:03 pm

oh yeah and management-wise, make your expectations clear early on. it's way easier to get less strict than more. a friend suggested the idea of going in to your first day hung over so you don't take shit from anyone. i can't personally recommend that strategy but do what you will.
important dentist

Postby hey look » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:34 pm

im the best teacher
hey look

Postby Poptone » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:57 pm

Just finished my certification program/student teaching in May (with a 9th grade Civics class), will be substitute teaching this year because the market for education jobs in Pittsburgh is god-awful (not one of my cert classmates landed a full-time job).

That said, student teaching is an emotionally draining experience, but you'll be fine as long as you just take it one week at a time. I kind of lucked out since the district/school I did mine at had an extremely proscribed curriculum, thus I didn't have to lesson plan all that much. That really helped when considering (a) your other coursework and (b), I kind of suck at lesson planning.

Definitely be strict right off the bat, which will allow you to loosen up as the kids get to know you. I was certainly not above bribing/rewarding them with candy every so often.

edit: I also gave anonymous surveys to the kids a couple of times throughout the semester, asking them to rate me and tell me what they thought I was doing well/poorly. Whether they like you or hate you, you'll get good feedback from them. Mine were almost uniformly positive, which can really be gratifying and give you a boost to keep going at times.
Poptone
cat fan

Postby Science » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:05 pm

Anybody cool with letting out how much you get paid to be a teacher? I've thought about continuing an education career when I go back home but I wonder about the compensation.
Science
Prometheus sucks.

Postby G_S » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:08 pm

I teach but not the laudable kind of teaching. I just do the same shit over and over so instead of lesson planning I write stupid jokes about geometry, vocab. words, etc.
G_S

Postby mcwop23 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:08 pm

You can look up teacher salaries pretty easily
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby important dentist » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Poptone wrote:edit: I also gave anonymous surveys to the kids a couple of times throughout the semester, asking them to rate me and tell me what they thought I was doing well/poorly. Whether they like you or hate you, you'll get good feedback from them. Mine were almost uniformly positive, which can really be gratifying and give you a boost to keep going at times.

yeah there's nothing better than hearing that a student is really learning a lot from/enjoying your class. during student teaching i sat in on a parent conference and the parents were like "oh, you must be the student teacher. sarah thinks you're a great teacher, you got her interested in history for the first time, etc." and i just about started tearing up right there.

kids are the worst but they can also be the best
important dentist

Postby Science » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:13 pm

mcwop23 wrote:You can look up teacher salaries pretty easily

I just get a general summary of pay in a particular state. I want anecdotal evidence. If you look up the pay scale for what I do it's not even close.
Science
Prometheus sucks.

Postby grammatron » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:15 pm

My last year of teaching, in Henry County, Georgia, I was pulling around 38k. That was 2005.
grammatron

Postby Science » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:19 pm

More specifically, I'm wondering about vacation time, how much you can pull in with outside work, how much it varies with different curriculum , ect.
Science
Prometheus sucks.

Postby Science » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:19 pm

Edit* double post. how much y'all get paid?
Science
Prometheus sucks.

Postby Hollywood Court » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:23 pm

im working on getting my education degree right now. im actually teaching during the summer too (high school) and i really enjoy it. does anybody have opinions on weather its better to get an ed degree, teach for awhile, then apply to grad schools to get a masters? or would it be better to just spend all my money right away and go straight to grad school (providing i can get in) right after undergrad?
if you want to be a martyr, try harder.
Hollywood Court

Postby hey look » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:28 pm

Mr. Science wrote:

I just get a general summary of pay in a particular state. I want anecdotal evidence. If you look up the pay scale for what I do it's not even close.

if you teach at a private school you can get more
hey look

Postby Science » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:47 pm

hey look wrote:
Mr. Science wrote:

if you teach at a private school you can get more

Ya, I teach at a private school. I teach supplemental classes during the Summer term in addition to regular classes. I also have a supervisory role among the foreign teachers here. For the last two months I feel like I've worked my ass off but I don't know what the average teacher in the states does. I'll pull in ~$15,000 for the last 2 months and ~$3,000 for a regular month. I showed you mine now you show me your's!
Science
Prometheus sucks.

Postby fury » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:08 pm

i think im going to get a lot of teaching time eventually, i think by the second semester ill be in charge of a period or two each day. not sure how fast i want to go in regards to classroom responsibility, but i havent even been selected a guide teacher yet so ill wait and see.
fury
ok

Postby mcwop23 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:35 pm

I think starting salary in jacksonville is like 38k and I think you get 5k for teaching summer

The problem is in 10 years you aren't making much more
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby good_maritimes » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:59 pm

i'll be teaching an undergrad class this semester...intro to nautical archaeology. 17 people so it's a pretty big class. by next week, it'll be 12.
good_maritimes

Postby Poptone » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:27 pm

Starting salary in Pittsburgh Public is around $35,000. A lot of the older teachers there (esp. if they're on supplemental committees like the Promise Ready program and such) max out at around $95,000 I think.
Poptone
cat fan

Postby winjer » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:08 pm

I'm about to start my third year teaching high school English at a very small international private school in Vancouver that caters to Chinese students. It's kind of a nightmare/impossible job in that I have to simultaneously teach my students both literary analysis & subject verb agreement, but because of the size of the school I have basically 0 admin to deal with, along with complete freedom in what I teach. I probably make the least out of anyone in this thread, but I'm happy to have a full-time teaching gig as there is a HUGE oversupply of teachers in the area. Teaching English is fun and rewarding, but requires a lot of work for prep/marking if you want to do a good job... especially with the ESL scenario I find myself in. I don't really see myself doing it for more than a few more years.

Student teaching is a great experience if you have a good 'sponsor teacher', but a nightmare if you have a bad one. I was lucky.
winjer

Postby zeshank2 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:20 pm

Started today.. it went well. Student Teaching 7th grade Tx History and helping out with Coaching. A lot more work when ur coaching along with classes
kids try to mimic this.
zeshank2

Postby Bartatua » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:21 pm

G_S wrote:I teach but not the laudable kind of teaching. I just do the same shit over and over so instead of lesson planning I write stupid jokes about geometry, vocab. words, etc.

this is great
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby SpartRo » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:39 pm

I have been teaching (minus a couple of years in the middle) in Alabama since 95. I started in the poorest middle schools in town and moved to the magnet arts high school where I have been ever since, first as a tech coordinator, now as the junior and senior SS teacher. I love it, but if kids are problems or slackers they are kicked out of our school by the time they get to me. I am pushing big into Ed Tech, winning a bunch of state awards for tech innovation in the classroom and speaking at Ed Tech conferences all over the south (Georgia in November). I pulled about 50 when all was said and done last year but took a bit of outside work. I just started my PhD in Instructional Leadership in Ed Tech so I'll be due a pay bump soon, but I hope to use it to move up the ladder and use my punk rock idealism to make some changes.

My student teaching was great, because I had a great mentor. I just made my student teacher's life hell because he was a slack ass and I refused to pretend like he wasn't.

If you are looking for good positions, get on Twitter. The professional community is really strong on there. Do a search for #engchat. I think they meet for a big Twitter Chat Monday or Tuesday nights and you can get a lot of ideas and tools from them. They also are a connected bunch of folks so they really know the job scene.
the future is in commercial mushroom cultivation
SpartRo

Postby fury » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:41 pm

the job market here is horrible, the school im at just laid off a bunch of people over the summer. im nervous as hell about getting a teaching job but im trying to focus on getting my credential and going from there.
fury
ok

Postby mego » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:42 pm

i'm teaching english at a university in japan now... i've been an english teacher for 5 years now. also doing my masters in teaching as well...

for student management everyone has different methods and it depends on you and your students as to which is the best way to go. my 2 cents:

- you need to be consistent with what is and isn't acceptable in your class. so students have clear expectations and respect you when you put your foot down about something
- be professional and act like you want to be there, want to teach and have pride in your job. as soon as students get the impression that you don't want to be there and teaching is just a paycheque for you then you're in trouble. when you tell them they need to study hard and that you believe they can benefit from it then you need them to really believe you think this is true... not that you are just saying it so they'll stop being a pain in the ass. once you get them trusting you and believing you about this stuff then it makes classroom management much easier. (of course this requires faking/acting on occasions but hopefully not too much if you have good enough students and enjoy your job to some extent)
- see if you can get students to monitor and manage their own studies to some extent... and be flexible to what they want (this may not work in high schools though... it's good for uni students though as long at they have some degree of self-motivation)

i'll admit that there's plenty of stuff with teaching that i'm either just okay at or even less than okay... but classroom management is something that i seem kinda good at. probably because of my experience at that crazy japanese high school a few years back.

oh yeah and the last thing... if you have a bad class then you should first consider that maybe it's because you sucked, not because the students were bad. of course it's quite likely it was because of the students but if you don't reflect on your own performance before coming to this conclusion then you could overlook something you could change to make your classes much better
mego

Postby fury » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:44 pm

its a good idea for me to bring my resume when i meet my principals tomorrow right? my professor suggested it. my resume is pretty barebones but i figure it could only help
fury
ok

Next

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....