Apple Event

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Robert » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:15 pm

:)
User avatar
Robert
 
Posts: 3165
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:41 pm

Postby saranclaps » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:31 pm

so do the new macbooks fix the keyboard shit?
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening
User avatar
saranclaps
 
Posts: 16696
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:49 pm
Location: vasing for interludes

Postby saranclaps » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:33 pm

oh they don't
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening
User avatar
saranclaps
 
Posts: 16696
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:49 pm
Location: vasing for interludes

Postby Robert » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:48 pm

They may. We don't know yet! I think Gruber's take on it makes sense:
The big question on many people’s minds are the keyboards: Do they resolve the reliability issues that have surfaced ever since Apple switched to butterfly mechanisms? Apple says no, that the only thing they were engineered for is being quieter. But I think only time will tell whether this is true or not. Maybe, as Apple says, the only problem they sought out to solve was the noise. But, if they also sought out to improve the reliability of the keyboards — to fix the problem where keys get stuck, among other problems — I think they would only admit to fixing the noise problem. Marketing-wise, I don’t think they would admit to a reliability problem in the existing butterfly keyboards (especially since they’re still selling second-generation keyboards in all non-TouchBar models), and legal-wise (given the fact that they’re facing multiple lawsuits regarding keyboard reliability) I don’t think they should admit to it. So whether they’ve attempted to address reliability problems along with the noise or not, I think they’d say the exact same thing today: only that they’ve made the keyboards quieter. I have no inside dope on the this (yet?), but to me the reason for optimism is that they’re calling these keyboards “third-generation”, not just a quieter version of the second-generation butterfly-switch keyboards.


Anyway, I haven't had any problems with my 2017 MBP keyboard. I don't particularly love it, though.
User avatar
Robert
 
Posts: 3165
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:41 pm

Postby nocents » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:54 pm

trying to decide on what model to get.

do any of you know whether the new 13" MBP would, uh, run DotA well? i'm mostly using this thing for writing, browsing, and some photo-editing, but I do like DotA and Civ.
User avatar
nocents
 
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:30 pm

Postby john plainman » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:56 pm

hbb wrote:Jobs also owned Pixar, which is now owned by Disney, which also owns Marvel, which owns the rights to a little character by the name of THOR


Ask me about iAnon
User avatar
john plainman
Hello? Hello? Anybody home?
 
Posts: 9081
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:45 pm

Postby husbands » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:59 pm

man I'm tempted by that 32GB RAM 15inch one

gonna wait until my current 2012 breaks down most likely
ROLL COAL
User avatar
husbands
 
Posts: 11335
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:07 pm

Postby saranclaps » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:04 pm

Robert wrote:They may. We don't know yet! I think Gruber's take on it makes sense:
The big question on many people’s minds are the keyboards: Do they resolve the reliability issues that have surfaced ever since Apple switched to butterfly mechanisms? Apple says no, that the only thing they were engineered for is being quieter. But I think only time will tell whether this is true or not. Maybe, as Apple says, the only problem they sought out to solve was the noise. But, if they also sought out to improve the reliability of the keyboards — to fix the problem where keys get stuck, among other problems — I think they would only admit to fixing the noise problem. Marketing-wise, I don’t think they would admit to a reliability problem in the existing butterfly keyboards (especially since they’re still selling second-generation keyboards in all non-TouchBar models), and legal-wise (given the fact that they’re facing multiple lawsuits regarding keyboard reliability) I don’t think they should admit to it. So whether they’ve attempted to address reliability problems along with the noise or not, I think they’d say the exact same thing today: only that they’ve made the keyboards quieter. I have no inside dope on the this (yet?), but to me the reason for optimism is that they’re calling these keyboards “third-generation”, not just a quieter version of the second-generation butterfly-switch keyboards.


Anyway, I haven't had any problems with my 2017 MBP keyboard. I don't particularly love it, though.
john gruber sucks.
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening
User avatar
saranclaps
 
Posts: 16696
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:49 pm
Location: vasing for interludes

Postby Robert » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:10 pm

Well yeah, but he usually has pretty good Apple insight.
User avatar
Robert
 
Posts: 3165
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:41 pm

Postby Lowercase Tea » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:34 am

nocents wrote:trying to decide on what model to get.

do any of you know whether the new 13" MBP would, uh, run DotA well? i'm mostly using this thing for writing, browsing, and some photo-editing, but I do like DotA and Civ.


I think it might struggle, but you could always get an eGPU for ~600. Generally, the 13" seems to work better with eGPUs than the 15"
Lowercase Tea
 
Posts: 3229
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:37 pm

Postby Robert » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:30 pm

User avatar
Robert
 
Posts: 3165
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:41 pm

Postby Buddy Glass » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:16 pm

I'm liking the iOS 12 beta a lot so far, just installed yesterday. My 7 feels a lot more responsive and less glitchy, which was getting worse and worse under 11.
What became of her? She lived, as she liked to say, off the kindness of gentlemen. I assume she’s dead.
User avatar
Buddy Glass
 
Posts: 14194
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Le vide politique

Postby saranclaps » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:35 pm

XPS 15 is comparatively spec'd and costs like a grand less for what i'd want. Probably gonna do some laptop shopping at some point in the next few months.

Seems like a compelling option for hackintosh?
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening
User avatar
saranclaps
 
Posts: 16696
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:49 pm
Location: vasing for interludes

Postby saranclaps » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:01 am

christ


meanwhile my 2011 macbook with an ssd and 16gb ram is going fine with 90 chrome tabs, 4 sublime text windows, 6 terminal tabs open.
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening
User avatar
saranclaps
 
Posts: 16696
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:49 pm
Location: vasing for interludes

Postby super gas » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:27 am

2010-2011 sounds right, that's about when they stopped caring about their macs.
User avatar
super gas
 
Posts: 14788
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: new york

Postby chimp » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:39 am

lol, what a fiasco
User avatar
chimp
 
Posts: 5691
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:32 pm

Postby junglejim » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:45 am

My 2011 is still going strong, has a tendency to get very hot but I would never replace it with one of the newer models.
User avatar
junglejim
 
Posts: 683
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:45 pm

Postby chimp » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:59 am

i was close to buying one of the new macbooks, very glad i did some research into how much they suck first
User avatar
chimp
 
Posts: 5691
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:32 pm

Postby Ted Pikul » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:16 am

This seems like it's been happening since Jonathan Ive took over hardware
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"
User avatar
Ted Pikul
DARE.
 
Posts: 32571
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:01 pm
Location: Salvador Dali's garden party

Postby RIXX » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:06 am

god the apple 4K TV screensavers are so fucking pretty it's worth it just for them alone

i'm sitting watching this overhead beach one right now and it's mesmerizing. i think it's santa monica. i wish i was high
User avatar
RIXX
 
Posts: 5459
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:08 pm
Location: nonchalant

Postby RIXX » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:07 am



but you really get the full effect in a huge 4k tv
User avatar
RIXX
 
Posts: 5459
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:08 pm
Location: nonchalant

Postby mcwop23 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:25 am

Image
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
User avatar
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks
 
Posts: 67899
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:56 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Postby Classic Dog Avatar » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:29 am

But the size of the Cupertino, California-based company’s share repurchase program is massive, with estimates put the buy-back at $21 in the second quarter alone.


dam where'd they find the $21
User avatar
Classic Dog Avatar
ride.
 
Posts: 9375
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:48 pm

Postby mcwop23 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:27 am

trillion dollar company
Image
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
User avatar
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks
 
Posts: 67899
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:56 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Postby easy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:31 am

mint the fucking coin
User avatar
easy
does it
 
Posts: 44257
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:07 pm

Postby junglejim » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:39 am

junglejim wrote:My 2011 is still going strong, has a tendency to get very hot but I would never replace it with one of the newer models.

This did not age well
User avatar
junglejim
 
Posts: 683
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:45 pm

Postby RIXX » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:55 pm

Uhh I just got into my office, ready to work thru the night on this video, and my brand new $12k iMac Pro that my work bought me in February did this upon starting up right now. It won't boot into OSX either, it's just hanging forever. Seems like it's a GPU issue. What a fucking joke. Thank god my work has applecare on it

Image
User avatar
RIXX
 
Posts: 5459
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:08 pm
Location: nonchalant

Postby Bad Craziness » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:26 pm

man I knew I hated face ID but I can't believe I didn't think of this

User avatar
Bad Craziness
 
Posts: 4964
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:21 pm
Location: la la land

Postby Robert » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:13 pm

My only complaint about FaceID is that doesn't work with my sunglasses.
User avatar
Robert
 
Posts: 3165
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:41 pm

Postby Daft Pun » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:52 pm

LOL
AIR
User avatar
Daft Pun
i'm ill not sicc
 
Posts: 6803
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:05 am

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chargie, Conetoaster, DAT TRILL FRIEND FRITZL, doublethink0, Dr. Fishopolis, Frank, gashed, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, Hot Carl, jon, murderhorn, My Pal the Crook, NegativeCapability, neta, number none, powderfinger, robotculinaire, Slay Da Pink Fleshy Beast, snuggle, someguy, swamp rock, trampoline, wong