Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby kit fox » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:30 pm

antoine wrote:
Annie May wrote:I'm slightly disappointed these aren't in philly yet, i was ready to sign up for another app job where i work late at night and don't have to talk to anyone.

I guess the not talking to anyone is a benefit I will admit that

until you show up to a couple birds ready for pick up and out of the mist a stranger appears and challenges you for the right to take the scooters home and charge them before returning them to their nest at 4am
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby kit fox » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:35 pm

like this guy:
cw - bullying/creeper

ImageToggle Spoiler
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby shankly » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:06 pm

people love taking about scooters!

http://www.newyorker.com/news/dispatch/the-scooting-life-are-electric-scooters-worth-the-trouble

we're even inching closer to better-than-anecdotal evidence about how they're being used!

In Washington, D.C., the District Department of Transportation (D.D.O.T.) has had a pilot program for seven dockless scooter and bike companies since last September. Each company is allowed to have four hundred vehicles on the street, and is required to share trip data with D.D.O.T. Though it did not share data with me, D.D.O.T. suggested that, anecdotally and preliminarily, the scooter rides appeared to be replacing not car trips but walking.
shankly

Postby WeirdJungle » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:09 pm

Yeah I thought it was always clear that bikeshare and particularly scootershare is not about reducing driving

It's about monetizing and privatizing sidewalks
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
WeirdJungle

Postby sympathy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:11 pm

shankly wrote:people love taking about scooters!

http://www.newyorker.com/news/dispatch/the-scooting-life-are-electric-scooters-worth-the-trouble

we're even inching closer to better-than-anecdotal evidence about how they're being used!

In Washington, D.C., the District Department of Transportation (D.D.O.T.) has had a pilot program for seven dockless scooter and bike companies since last September. Each company is allowed to have four hundred vehicles on the street, and is required to share trip data with D.D.O.T. Though it did not share data with me, D.D.O.T. suggested that, anecdotally and preliminarily, the scooter rides appeared to be replacing not car trips but walking.

No fucking shit

Everyone who even thinks this might have even the slightest possible positive impact is literally brain damaged
sympathy
ok

Postby a-10 warthog champion » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:12 pm

nautical hyperblast wrote:
a-10 warthog champion wrote:is there anything to stop me from just like throwing one in a river

https://www.instagram.com/birdgraveyard/?hl=en

oh my god yes
who we are- laid back, eco-conscious, informal, off the cuff, good music, no bullshit...
a-10 warthog champion

Postby powderfinger » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:33 pm

nautical hyperblast wrote:
a-10 warthog champion wrote:is there anything to stop me from just like throwing one in a river

https://www.instagram.com/birdgraveyard/?hl=en

this is amazing
powderfinger

Postby milknight » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:40 pm

birdgraveyard is so good fuck
milknight

Postby Buddy Glass » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:40 pm

birdgraveyard is some goddamn catharsis

These things are all over the sidewalk in my neighborhood in Atlanta
What became of her? She lived, as she liked to say, off the kindness of gentlemen. I assume she’s dead.
Buddy Glass

Postby milknight » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:41 pm

kit fox wrote:like this guy:
cw - bullying/creeper

ImageToggle Spoiler

oh god this is in san diego i might have to fuck up a few of these when i go home next week
milknight

Postby sliiimer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:56 pm

Well, just got hit by an idiot on a bird scooter. Love innovation!!
sliiimer

Postby joe » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:00 pm

sliiimer wrote:Well, just got hit by an idiot on a bird scooter. Love innovation!!

you should feel proud that you got disrupted
dễ dàng wrote:CHẾT TIỆT
joe

Postby nautical hyperblast » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:01 pm

wait so how many of you haterz have ridden one?
nautical hyperblast

Postby milknight » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:10 pm

ive ridden a scooter before idk why that would make me think this wasnt a terrible idea
milknight

Postby milknight » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:10 pm

are you the narc tagging bird in the birdgraveyard posts?
milknight

Postby nautical hyperblast » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:19 pm

project pat taught me to not be tellin'.
they're really fun to ride (and fast) and people are idiots, that's my full take on bird scoots. I've never ridden one outside of a beach city though (even though they're in downtown la now), so whatever.
nautical hyperblast

Postby milknight » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:21 pm

i mean yeah scooters are fun but i dont think a company should be dumping them on the streets without any regulations and creating some weird scavenger economy. however it did bring me birdgraveyard so its not all bad
milknight

Postby blogger status » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:39 pm

we just got these here in columbus and its most certainly going to be a mess
ROCK LIFE EVERY NIGHT
blogger status
gotta have some faith in the sound

Postby Bad Craziness » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:25 pm

I signed up for the Charging Bounty Hunter thing but it looks like there aren't any Nests™ in my neighborhood yet

wonder how easy it is to scam it by driving them far away
Bad Craziness

Postby kit fox » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:30 pm

bad craziness that is a thing people do but it can set up confrontations when another charger comes to get it or its in your home and they keep pinging it and they decide to just come in. or people hide them in difficult to find places so theyre out longer/gain more reward $$.

one of the things people have reported kind of in this vein is birds stashed in dark out of the way areas and then chargers are robbed when they go down the alley or whatever to get it.
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby kit fox » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:31 pm

either way i'm excited to hear about your experience as a bird bounty hunter
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby Bad Craziness » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:38 pm

kit fox wrote:bad craziness that is a thing people do but it can set up confrontations when another charger comes to get it or its in your home and they keep pinging it and they decide to just come in. or people hide them in difficult to find places so theyre out longer/gain more reward $$.

one of the things people have reported kind of in this vein is birds stashed in dark out of the way areas and then chargers are robbed when they go down the alley or whatever to get it.

sounds fun! :?
Bad Craziness

Postby Bad Craziness » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:38 pm

will definitely liveblog my entire Bird Hunting career if they start nesting near me
Bad Craziness

Postby freezinseason » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:23 pm

WeirdJungle wrote:
Annie May wrote:Anyway the existexistence of these and dockless bikes is confounding to me. I feel like silicon valley is really underestimating the ingenuity of the common criminal, surely it's possible to hack these things or melt em down or whatever.

i'm guessing at some of the numbers, but i would not be surprised if each of these things recoups its initial manufacturing/deployment cost in a single day of heavy usage

and at least for the bikeshare companies I've seen reported theft rates around 1-5%

id guess that the expensive part is not the scooters, but the wages for the people collecting and charging them.

a lot of these sorts of SV "disruptive" companies dont make money, theyre just investment schemes so people can sell on their inflated shares. not sure if the scooter industry is any different. i wish articles about this stuff were more skeptical/investigative from a financial p.o.v
freezinseason

Postby Bad Craziness » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:36 pm

couldn't you just scoop up a bunch, point their wheels up and duct-tape the accelerator so they run out, and then charge them, and then repeat?
Bad Craziness

Postby kit fox » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:50 am

no you have to return them to a nest between 4am and 7am in order to actually get paid

i sure have learned a lot about this dumb thing in the last 24 hours
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby farmer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:04 pm

Hey I wanna buy a battery powered scooter anyone got any reccs?
farmer

Postby jack » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:14 pm

bird
jack

Postby farmer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:16 pm

Nah not to rent I wanna buy for my commute
farmer

Postby bear » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:21 pm

it's dumb for individual people to drive mammoth giant metal boxes around cities. anything that spends less energy moving people around is good. it's bad that they're getting left in walking paths, but this is a solvable problem. there's a social and technical solution in which local govts team up with the startups to incentivize people to leave their scooters in places that don't obstruct pathways. however i've not had to personally deal with these things and haven't kept up with developments so maybe i'm missing something.

also i hadn't read the thread and it looks like there are some good responses my obvious take
Last edited by bear on Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hpn.center - the #1 source for all your boarding needs
bear
good bear

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....