Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Legion » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:32 pm

an otter wrote:some weird hostility towards these things in this thread. this seems like a sick vehicle-share idea

It's hard to describe how quickly they appeared all over San Francisco, given that three companies decided to jump into the market at the same time, and how obnoxious the consequences were in the neighborhoods where I work and commute from – scooters being left against fire escape doors, directly in the way of business entrances, scattered in a fallen stack across the sidewalk you're trying to navigate with crowds of other people, etc.

A lot of "oh, poor baby, step over it" comments on social media posts, but as always these kinds of situations impact disabled folks the most.

They've been temporarily pulled from streets now as SF works out a regulation, and some of the above probs started smoothing out over the month as people got more considerate. But when rampant income inequality steamrolls through your city and displaces all kinds of people you love, it's hard not to see that scooter standing smack dab in the middle of a busy sidewalk as a symptom of opportunism. Plus they're gonna lead to a lot of e-waste.

Stuntman: Hipinion for me is like a choose-your-own adventure where every topic is a direct path to the depressed thread.
Legion

Postby jack » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:33 pm

people throw those lime bikes off piers, over cliffs and into canyons everywhere here and its a bummer.
Last edited by jack on Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jack

Postby milknight » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:33 pm

pootis im ready to kick some scooter ass
milknight

Postby shankly » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:35 pm

bike...create...problems?
shankly

Postby a-10 warthog champion » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:35 pm

shankly wrote:
a-10 warthog champion wrote:is there anything to stop me from just like throwing one in a river

While i fully support destroying these, lithium batteries and other assorted plastic junk probably shouldn't end up in our waterways

Smash em up if you want though. Some play an automated message about calling the police if you move one without paying, but they don't actually do anything.

ebay!!!
who we are- laid back, eco-conscious, informal, off the cuff, good music, no bullshit...
a-10 warthog champion

Postby Annie May » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:52 pm

a-10 warthog champion wrote:is there anything to stop me from just like throwing one in a river

Please don't do this, i imagine this could put whatever poor sap has to drag it out in serious danger
Annie May

Postby blurst of times » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:54 pm

whatever you do, do not leave one of these in a flooded cave...
blurst of times
ride.

Postby Annie May » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:55 pm

Anyway the existexistence of these and dockless bikes is confounding to me. I feel like silicon valley is really underestimating the ingenuity of the common criminal, surely it's possible to hack these things or melt em down or whatever.
Annie May

Postby shankly » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:55 pm

move fast, break shit, send it to a huge chinese garbage dump
shankly

Postby a-10 warthog champion » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:58 pm

milknight wrote:pootis im ready to kick some scooter ass

hell yeah

lets be like the property brothers, except for fucking up scooters and not renoing them
who we are- laid back, eco-conscious, informal, off the cuff, good music, no bullshit...
a-10 warthog champion

Postby antoine » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:58 pm

Yeah I hate this
antoine

Postby goofjan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:58 pm

Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:I wanted this to be about birds on scooters

plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye
goofjan

Postby a-10 warthog champion » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:59 pm

im going to use the batteries to revive dead rats
a-10 warthog champion

Postby antoine » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:00 pm

If you wanna ride a scooter just buy one and ride the scooter?
antoine

Postby Annie May » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:00 pm

I'm slightly disappointed these aren't in philly yet, i was ready to sign up for another app job where i work late at night and don't have to talk to anyone.
Annie May

Postby antoine » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:00 pm

And then keep it in private storage?
antoine

Postby antoine » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:01 pm

Annie May wrote:I'm slightly disappointed these aren't in philly yet, i was ready to sign up for another app job where i work late at night and don't have to talk to anyone.

I guess the not talking to anyone is a benefit I will admit that
antoine

Postby joe » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:03 pm

blurst of times wrote:whatever you do, do not leave one of these in a flooded cave...

eh might as well, there will be discarded OrangeMusk minisubs at all flooded cave entrances by the end of monsoon season
dễ dàng wrote:CHẾT TIỆT
joe

Postby Annie May » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:06 pm

Someone got killed in my current bycicle delivery app job and we all got a message several days later from the app saying how sorry they were and how the dead guy was a beloved part of their family blah blah. It had already hit the news days ago so everyone knew, he was working during a thunderstorm because they offer bonuses to do so, and they didn't even pay for this funeral. I looked up the guy's fb and he was an anarchist who listed his work as 'wage slave' and he most likely fucking hated working for this app. Capitalism sucks, silicon valley sucks, the end.
Annie May

Postby a-10 warthog champion » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:07 pm

a-10 warthog champion

Postby a-10 warthog champion » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:07 pm

for those that wish this thread was what we mostly wish it was
a-10 warthog champion

Postby shankly » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:09 pm

Annie May wrote:Someone got killed in my current bycicle delivery app job and we all got a message several days later from the app saying how sorry they were and how the dead guy was a beloved part of their family blah blah. It had already hit the news days ago so everyone knew, he was working during a thunderstorm because they offer bonuses to do so, and they didn't even pay for this funeral. I looked up the guy's fb and he was an anarchist who listed his work as 'wage slave' and he most likely fucking hated working for this app. Capitalism sucks, silicon valley sucks, the end.

i was just reading about this earlier:

https://www.thenation.com/article/best-friend-lost-life-gig-economy/
shankly

Postby Legion » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:10 pm

Annie May wrote:Anyway the existexistence of these and dockless bikes is confounding to me. I feel like silicon valley is really underestimating the ingenuity of the common criminal, surely it's possible to hack these things or melt em down or whatever.

I've been considering this somewhat akin to the data version of domain squatting – seizing the opportunity to map ideal urban routes at a time when data is particularly valuable and resellable.

It's an era when public transportation is massively underfunded, and most of these companies already operate taxi and transportation services trying to solve the last-mile problem.

Stuntman: Hipinion for me is like a choose-your-own adventure where every topic is a direct path to the depressed thread.
Legion

Postby antoine » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:10 pm

Annie May wrote:Someone got killed in my current bycicle delivery app job and we all got a message several days later from the app saying how sorry they were and how the dead guy was a beloved part of their family blah blah. It had already hit the news days ago so everyone knew, he was working during a thunderstorm because they offer bonuses to do so, and they didn't even pay for this funeral. I looked up the guy's fb and he was an anarchist who listed his work as 'wage slave' and he most likely fucking hated working for this app. Capitalism sucks, silicon valley sucks, the end.

Fuck. This makes me mad. I'm sorry.
antoine

Postby Annie May » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:11 pm

Yep that's the guy. I wasn't gonna name the app but it's pretty obvious, oh well. I ride past pablo's memorial all the time

Edit @shankly
Annie May

Postby antoine » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:12 pm

Legion wrote:
Annie May wrote:Anyway the existexistence of these and dockless bikes is confounding to me. I feel like silicon valley is really underestimating the ingenuity of the common criminal, surely it's possible to hack these things or melt em down or whatever.

I've been considering this somewhat akin to the data version of domain squatting – seizing the opportunity to map ideal urban routes at a time when data is particularly valuable and resellable.

It's an era when public transportation is massively underfunded, and most of these companies already operate taxi and transportation services trying to solve the last-mile problem.

And get rich doing so without thinking about potential problems and exploiting low wage labor.
Last edited by antoine on Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
antoine

Postby WeirdJungle » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:13 pm

i'm guessing at some of the numbers, but i would not be surprised if each of these things recoups its initial manufacturing/deployment cost in a single day of heavy usage

and at least for the bikeshare companies I've seen reported theft rates around 1-5%
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
WeirdJungle

Postby Legion » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:14 pm

shankly wrote:

i was just reading about this earlier:

https://www.thenation.com/article/best-friend-lost-life-gig-economy/

I've been following these guys for a little hope:

https://iww.org.uk/news/glasgow-ubereat ... -scotland/

https://twitter.com/couriersscot?lang=en

Legion

Postby Stuntman » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:17 pm

Never stated his opinion?

About bird scooters?
Stuntman
AKA Ron

Postby WeirdJungle » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:28 pm

Legion wrote:I've been considering this somewhat akin to the data version of domain squatting – seizing the opportunity to map ideal urban routes at a time when data is particularly valuable and resellable.

yeah this is an interesting take, the scooter is not the product it's actually just an incentive for you to produce specific types of GPS data
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
WeirdJungle

PreviousNext

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.