Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby blues » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:10 am

i just paid 25 euros for a seat on a 15 hour ferry from greece to italy when i could have flown for 123 euros (and ive already paid for a eurail pass which was meant to include ferry costs)
blues

Postby mcwop23 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:32 am

will the views be spectacular
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby DasLofGang » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:35 am

sbarro
I don’t think George Washington and those guys were thinking that deep into it. They prob would be like WHAT!!??? Ok we need to change this part……
DasLofGang

Postby mcwop23 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:36 am

DasLofGang wrote:sbarro

in this vein once a year every year i find myself in an airport eating a baconator and it sort of ruins me
wendy wrote:
mcwop23

Postby DasLofGang » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:38 am

even the parfait yogurt cup at the airport is suspect but it is literally the only safe thing
I don’t think George Washington and those guys were thinking that deep into it. They prob would be like WHAT!!??? Ok we need to change this part……
DasLofGang

Postby shankly » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:41 am

i've probably made this post before, but I spend a couple months traveling around europe in my early 20s and decided that instead of getting a rail pass, i'd save money by taking local trains from city to city. i always tried to do it overnight to avoid having to pay for a hostel, but in practice it usually meant changing trains every 90 minutes and having lots of downtime on train platforms in tiny german towns in the middle of the night.

generally the trains arrived on time and transferring to the next train was easy enough, but when i was on the way to prague from munich, i was supposed to change trains in plzen and accidentally got off a few stops too early and ended up stranded on a train platform surrounded by farmland, with no other trains scheduled to stop there for like 6 hours.

this was a pre-smartphone era and there was no one around, so I just stood there for a couple hours until a single train car full of railway workers went past in the opposite direction. not sure if they noticed me standing there the first time, but about 45 minutes later they came back on the other set of tracks and stopped for me. no one spoke english, but a couple guys knew basic german and i was able to explain my situation to them and they let me ride with them to the main train station in plzen. we ended up making small talk in broken german, and when i told them I lived in philadelphia the guys all lit up and were like "philadelphia flyers! vaclav prospal!" I think for the rest of the ride i just tried naming all the czech hockey players i could think of and everyone seemed to be enjoying it.

i eventually made it to prague and was very careful about my train transfers for the rest of the trip, but it's still one of my favorite travel memories.
shankly

Postby Kenny » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:43 am

I stayed for 4 days in Bruges, Belgium, instead of the 3 max I should have
Image REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS ImageImage
Never forget, other opinions are available
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby aububs » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:48 am

blues wrote:i just paid 25 euros for a seat on a 15 hour ferry from greece to italy when i could have flown for 123 euros (and ive already paid for a eurail pass which was meant to include ferry costs)

that seems like a long time to get from greece to italy
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby Beautiful Jugdish » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:50 am

15 fucking years ago i "traveled" to the pitchfork web forums! i've been stuck here ever since!!!!
I've hit rock bottom!
Beautiful Jugdish

Postby josh » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:54 am

ate a really shitty kebab from the kind of place i'd avoid like the plague for fear of food poisoning at home at 2am the day before i flew from turkey to italy and then spent my entire week in italy unable to eat anything more substantial than dry crackers
josh

Postby Ted Pikul » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:55 am

Cancelled a hotel and they never refunded me like they said they would and I forgot to ask them
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"
Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby Kenny » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:57 am

When I lived in Manchester I came down to London for a visit and stayed at the St. Christopher's Inn hostel in Camden town where not only did they have a deep bass club night till 2 AM in the morning, my hostel mate definitely had untreated sleep apnea
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby josh » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:58 am

took out a note at an atm in stockholm airport that was worth like US$90 only to find that sweden is super card oriented and nowhere had enough change to break it
josh

Postby DasLofGang » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:59 am

has anyone ever hooked up in a hostel? I’ve heard brag tales of their wild youths from two different middle aged doofuses in my life and wasn’t buying it for a second, it seems like that would be seriously frowned upon if not also completely logistically impractical, but perhaps I just lack imagination
DasLofGang

Postby josh » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:03 am

managed to book an itinerary through america that saw me miss pride in four different cities by a single day
josh

Postby Flossed Out » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:04 am

A few years ago I went down to Miami for art basel. On the second night out I got hammered and lost the keys to my airbnb, my check card, my id, and my phone got smashed. Also my gf was there for work. She was mad. I ended up wandering around South Beach one night with no money and no way of communicating with anyone while she was at some party on a yacht for work. It was strange but also kinda nice. I made friends with the manager of a fusion sushi restaurant and he hooked me up with some free rolls of sushi and a beer. I haven't been back to Miami since.
choom gang
Flossed Out

Postby Kenny » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:05 am

No, but I was in a hostel room with a lady who just took off her clothes to get ready for bed and walked around topless for 5 minutes, so I'm no slouch on sexy hostel experiences :ahuh:
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby josh » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:05 am

DasLofGang wrote:has anyone ever hooked up in a hostel? I’ve heard brag tales of their wild youths from two different middle aged doofuses in my life and wasn’t buying it for a second, it seems like that would be seriously frowned upon if not also completely logistically impractical, but perhaps I just lack imagination

I have not mostly because hostels are generally very straight but this is absolutely a thing that happens constantly. one hostel I stayed in had big signs in every room saying "if you're gonna fuck the laundry has a lock, please do it in there"
josh

Postby josh » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:07 am

thought a 90 minute window to transit through heathrow was a good idea

(thought transiting through heathrow was a good idea)
josh

Postby warmjets » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:07 am

spent all day at the vatican but it never crossed my mind that the sistine chapel was there, so i never saw it
warmjets

Postby shankly » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:07 am

yeah, in my experience the rooms are a no-go but basically any area where there aren't other people is acceptable
shankly

Postby ahungbunny » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:11 am

forgetting about the three extra fake bullets for a bullet belt i leave in my bag + having to explain punk fashion to the oldest tsa agent in the building. got a letter from homeland security after that one
ahungbunny

Postby hadlex » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:16 am

The mistakes and problems are often what make travel memorable. I took a ferry in the Hebrides to a remote stop, not knowing there wasn’t transportation from there. I started walking down the road and was picked up by a Scottish blacksmith who had to first make a stop at a castle where he was shoeing a horse and I hung out with this aristocratic family for a while while the blacksmith regaled us with stories of his travels in the Deep South.
The laughing jumbo of Europe's gay spots.
hadlex

Postby mcwop23 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:23 am

warmjets wrote:spent all day at the vatican but it never crossed my mind that the sistine chapel was there, so i never saw it

i think it’s only opened on limited days so i missed it when i was there
wendy wrote:
mcwop23

Postby uncledoj » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:27 am

Booked a tour to go to the edge of the Sahara from Marrakesh but the van's AC was broken. My wife ended up getting bad heat stroke and we had to leave the tour at a town in the way so she could spend the night in a hotel with AC
uncledoj

Postby warmjets » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:28 am

eating shrooms in indonesia
warmjets

Postby Kenny » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:28 am

The Sistine Chapel is probably my most overrated experience. Not because the ceiling isn't really pretty but it's full of people and they all talk loudly and there's people in the room constantly yelling SHHHHH and they shove you through and shove lots of people in and then you just go "Well, it's a room". You also have to walk through loads of long rooms/hallways also full of people to get to it, the rooms have a bunch of stuff on the wall and you feel guilty because you are just rushing past it to get to the Sistine Chapel
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby uncledoj » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:31 am

Also when we flew into Morocco it was late, and the car from our hotel never showed. We ended up taking a cab at night that dropped us off at the edge of the medina, and a group of little kids guided us through the maze until we got to our (pretty much unmarked) hotel door. Would have been really hard to find without them
uncledoj

Postby dusky » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:44 am

trekking during monsoon season
dusky

Postby new blood, old hat » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:49 am

booked an airbnb in taipei for nye last minute when everything was sold out. the host never responded in the week leading up to the stay but I just denied anything was wrong. the airbnb was on the outskirts of town in a shoddy apartment complex. when I got there the airbnb unit was abandoned and covered in tape

ended up spending the night in a really nice love motel that had the biggest bathtub I've ever seen. the college kid working there recommended where the best night life was.

the airbnb host got back to me the next day, took me shopping for sheets and pillows, and put me in another unit in new taipei city that was undergoing rennovations. asked for my passport as deposit on the key fob she gave me, got really mad at me when I refused.

still friends with the airbnb host on facebook
new blood, old hat
ok

Next

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.