Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby new blood, old hat » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:51 am

months later I got a customer service call from airbnb checking in on me after I tried to get the listing taken down (which the host asked me to do) and got a bunch of free credit for my next stay so no harm no foul I guess
new blood, old hat
ok

Postby Ankh » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:52 am

Kenny wrote:No, but I was in a hostel room with a lady who just took off her clothes to get ready for bed and walked around topless for 5 minutes, so I'm no slouch on sexy hostel experiences :ahuh:

this is real gross to brag about
Ankh
senior fellow

Postby Kenny » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:57 am

That's a real gross bad faith read of what I was doing. It was weird and awkward and I wasn't sure why she was doing it, if it makes you feel better
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage
Never forget, other opinions are available
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Du Rocher » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:17 am

My boyfriend and I almost missed our train from Serbia to Montenegro; didn't have time to grab coffee/food and realized we had run out of currency on a 15+ hour train ride. We got really horrible caffeine headaches and started getting extremely hungry. This old Canadian-Serbian guy in our passenger cabin launched into an endless monologue about his life story and how much money he had (??), kept saying he would take us all to the dining car for drinks but then never did. About 9-10 hours later everyone in our cabin got off except one guy around our age. He all of a sudden pulled out 3 insanely large meat sandwiches and gave one to each of us saying "you guys look hungry." Then he told us about growing up in Belgrade during the war and how he escapes to Montenegro to relax/get relief from his PTSD and gave us good recommendations for the area.
Du Rocher

Postby Spoons » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:20 am

blues wrote:i just paid 25 euros for a seat on a 15 hour ferry from greece to italy when i could have flown for 123 euros (and ive already paid for a eurail pass which was meant to include ferry costs)

not a mistake. that ferry is good and cool.
bongo wrote:spoons pounds
Spoons

Postby Poptone » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:27 am

forgot to let my bank know i was traveling out of the country (uh, Canada) and couldn't retrieve any money my first night there
Poptone
cat fan

Postby viachicago » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:42 am

driving in Mexico
viachicago

Postby VHGisdead » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:44 am

paying cash to a cop in Costa Rica to avoid a speeding ticket even though I'd been told not to do exactly that
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.
VHGisdead

Postby sour » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:45 am

I missed a flight I was two hours early for at tegel
Robo-Chachi wrote:Every time you are penetrated, a child gets a heart.
sour

Postby emotional fascism » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:45 am

mcwop23 wrote:
DasLofGang wrote:sbarro

in this vein once a year every year i find myself in an airport eating a baconator and it sort of ruins me

also in this vein, after a week of eating the freshest, most delicious food in Tulum Mexico, I ate the worst burger of my life at the Jimmy Buffett restaurant in Cancun's airport before heading home. Shit instantly undid the week of wonderful eating I'd just had and sat in my stomach for 24 hours like a rock.

Blame my wife - she wanted to eat at a "sit down" restaurant in the airport.
emotional fascism

Postby sour » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:45 am

I missed five flights last month actually which is really stupid
sour

Postby mercenaries of slime » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:51 am

paying for everything with my revolut card and never withdrawing cash

then dropping my phone into the toilet, leaving me with only 100 rubles (1.6 dollars) to my name
mercenaries of slime

Postby dusky » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:53 am

sour the whip wrote:I missed five flights last month actually which is really stupid

say what
dusky

Postby sour » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:55 am

Ankh wrote:
Kenny wrote:No, but I was in a hostel room with a lady who just took off her clothes to get ready for bed and walked around topless for 5 minutes, so I'm no slouch on sexy hostel experiences :ahuh:

this is real gross to brag about

lol what
sour

Postby sour » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:57 am

yeah they were mostly bc of summer traffic in paris or check in deadlines. don't know why there can't just be a universal check in deadline for all continental eu flights
sour

Postby what the schmuck » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:00 pm

cheaped out on a flight to italy booked a redeye with 2 layovers. i think it saved us like $400 total but it was like 36 hours of travel from when we left the house to arriving at our final destination. never again.
what the schmuck

Postby powderfinger » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:06 pm

what the schmuck wrote:cheaped out on a flight to italy booked a redeye with 2 layovers. i think it saved us like $400 total but it was like 36 hours of travel from when we left the house to arriving at our final destination. never again.

Yeah to save some money we once took a redeye from Rome to Moscow, a 5-6 hour layover, and then Moscow to DC and it was extremely miserable. You don't want to eat three meals on Aeroflot + Burger King at the Moscow airport.

Though in our case it did end up saving us north of $1400 between airfare and a night in a hotel (didn't have much date flexibility since a wedding was involved) so was probably worth it. But man, don't want to do anything like that again.
powderfinger

Postby Milk » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:14 pm

Kenny wrote:The Sistine Chapel is probably my most overrated experience. Not because the ceiling isn't really pretty but it's full of people and they all talk loudly and there's people in the room constantly yelling SHHHHH and they shove you through and shove lots of people in and then you just go "Well, it's a room". You also have to walk through loads of long rooms/hallways also full of people to get to it, the rooms have a bunch of stuff on the wall and you feel guilty because you are just rushing past it to get to the Sistine Chapel

but at least now you can tell people what it smells like in there
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby Milk » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:19 pm

probably the like half dozen times i took a bus from montreal to Portsmouth ohio (had a gf there). it's a 24 hours ride (well youre in layover for at least like 6 hours). And i took the bus back too. I also did a 28 hours one to chicago once. I was in my early 20's for all these though so i could SORTA bear it. Now i'd never consider it in a million years.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby howiep » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:51 pm

I crashed a scooter in Bali after being on it for about 2 minutes. Had to paid like $100 in repairs, I got cut up and bruised, but thankfully no one was hurt that bad. To be fair, the situation that cause the accident was basically a black diamond skill level scenario and I was a novice. Everyone riding around there makes it look so fucking easy, and it probably is and I'm just an idiot. Then I looked up scooter accidents in Bali online and I realized it's like the number one cause of death for everyone and I will probably never ride a scooter again.
howiep

Postby Viz » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:52 pm

First time in New York and before smartphone days, convinced my girlfriend to go take the long walk to the John Lennon memorial in Central Park instead of going to the American Museum of Natural History.
Viz

Postby Sobieski » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:53 pm

This thread is giving me a sbarro’s craving
smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby fester » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:59 pm

paying ~$100 for the family to eat at the hotel buffet at the Paradise Pier disneyland hotel. Worst buffet I've ever had. They had a "s'mores bar" which was a bowl of cold marshmallows, a pile of stale graham crackers, and a pitcher of cold hershey's syrup. They also advertised "strawberry shortcake" which was just some store bought strawberry flavored cereal bars. Just an abysmal eating experience. My wife was pissed at me.

Actually just eating at any disney property in general is a huge mistake. Just eat churros or beignets for every meal if you're not going to an unaffiliated restaurant.
------------
fester

Postby scramble » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:07 pm

hadlex wrote:The mistakes and problems are often what make travel memorable. I took a ferry in the Hebrides to a remote stop, not knowing there wasn’t transportation from there. I started walking down the road and was picked up by a Scottish blacksmith who had to first make a stop at a castle where he was shoeing a horse and I hung out with this aristocratic family for a while while the blacksmith regaled us with stories of his travels in the Deep South.

hell yeah, everything about this experience sounds great to me
scramble

Postby blues » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:21 am

yeah the ferry turned out to be really cool and i met this nice old couple

but check out this message i sent to my friend while more than half asleep at 2:30 in the morning

Dude
Jesus christ
The boat was reslly good until it made a stop snd pol fucking flooded in (before that therr weee like 10 people in the general area). Suddenly theres lie a hundred assholes makig all this fucking noise at midnight when im sleeling (good job with them coordinating that and not telling them to wake up the prople sleeping?? Then it just turned into a rom full of fucking snoring greek dickhead men with their phone alarms going off but theyre not reslising cause thruree to old and stupid to know whats going on + babies and families and shit. Its lle a fucking chorus of snorers dude. Use that as a fucking band name i dont caee. I gues its 230am and ive got anoher 7 hours of completely un self aware snoring to go. Like fuckjg roll over you piece of shit
Fuck
blues

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:30 am

I didn't stay out of santa cruz
Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby goldmatt » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:35 am

Connecting through O'Hare with a one hour layover
goldmatt

Postby DasLofGang » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:39 am

I’ll be doing that tonight

need medication of some sort
heaven’s full of murderers
DasLofGang

Postby denvermax » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:42 am

when I backpacked around Europe in college I didn't plan anything whatsoever or use any guidebooks or anything. I would just show up in a town and wander around then find a place to stay at night. I guess there was something fun about that but I also missed a lot of cool stuff
denvermax

Postby tgk » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:45 am

When I studied abroad my second year of college I would call my parents on a payphone back home and use a credit card to pay it. I had no idea how the rates worked or anything like that and after like 3 calls my card was declined because I had maxed out the $500 limit because the rate was like $10/minute. Whoops!
tgk

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....