dazzle ships is my fave omd and one of the greatest pop albums of all time imo
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby Kwisatz Haderach » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:20 pm

I got junk culture because it was the best bargain on eBay :-(

Should have sprung for dazzle ships
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby Poptone » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:45 pm

Kwisatz Haderach wrote:Poptone are you going to this thing the guy from Jerry’s records is having where a bunch of records are $1?

Oh you're in the area? I didn't know that - gonna have to check out that Rabbit Hole place cos I've never heard of it.

Yep, I am gonna try and get down there on Friday for Jerry's great unloading. Not so much for LPs cos they are most likely the standard dollar bin stuff but I am very curious and hopeful about the 45s he's offering. There's another independent record sale this weekend on Saturday - some dude in Brookline. Lots of new wave, post-punk type stuff. I can pass along the address if yr interested! I think this guy knows what he has and priced accordingly (had an OG Metal Box at the last one set at $60-something) but not exorbitant or anything.
Poptone
cat fan

Postby Poptone » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:48 pm

If you want another disappointing OMD record you can have my copy of The Pacific Age for free. I haven't quite brought myself to give up Crush yet
Poptone
cat fan

Postby Repo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:57 pm

aububs wrote:dazzle ships is my fave omd and one of the greatest pop albums of all time imo

hell yeah

Kwisatz Haderach wrote:I got junk culture because it was the best bargain on eBay :-(

Should have sprung for dazzle ships

junk culture may not be top 3 omd but it's a perfectly fine album
Repo

Postby Kwisatz Haderach » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:05 pm

Poptone wrote:
Kwisatz Haderach wrote:Poptone are you going to this thing the guy from Jerry’s records is having where a bunch of records are $1?

Oh you're in the area? I didn't know that - gonna have to check out that Rabbit Hole place cos I've never heard of it.

Yep, I am gonna try and get down there on Friday for Jerry's great unloading. Not so much for LPs cos they are most likely the standard dollar bin stuff but I am very curious and hopeful about the 45s he's offering. There's another independent record sale this weekend on Saturday - some dude in Brookline. Lots of new wave, post-punk type stuff. I can pass along the address if yr interested! I think this guy knows what he has and priced accordingly (had an OG Metal Box at the last one set at $60-something) but not exorbitant or anything.

Sure. Is it at rather ripped records or is it something else?
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby Poptone » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:06 pm

Yeah it's def not a bad album but for me it's the demarcation point where their albums started to be a bit stale beyond the singles. Crush is the headfirst dive into that territory
Poptone
cat fan

Postby Poptone » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:08 pm

And then Pacific Age they didn't even care about memorable singles

Got a major soft spot for that "sailing the seven seas" jam from Sugar Tax tho
Poptone
cat fan

Postby Poptone » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:11 pm

Kwisatz Haderach wrote:
Poptone wrote:

Sure. Is it at rather ripped records or is it something else?

Ah just some dude's house, I'll shoot you a PM
Poptone
cat fan

Postby Rhodes » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:43 pm

Dazzle Ships is my favorite album from my birth year.
Rhodes

Postby crackers » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:25 pm

Milk wrote:theres a joke in venture brothers with a character being in disbelief that DM (as a whole) are not gay and i have to say when i learned NOBODY in the band was i had that reaction too. i thought how is that even possible? I mean their mid to late 80's aesthetics it's like at the very least martin gore!?

Possibly gayest hetero band ever.

And ok i didn't realise until now Fan club was ALSO published in english.

Apparently the grande bibliotheque has copies of Fan Club in their collection. I have to pick up a book i reserved anyway, so i’ll probably take a look at them on the weekend (I’m a nostalgic dork).
crackers

Postby Milk » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:58 am

Been a DM night and i want to not only state again that DM are a good band but Martin Gore is pretty much one of the genius composers of his generation. Like if you list all the great ones he's got it's a pretty impressive resume you can put up against almost any other greats of his era. (im speaking musically obvs, lyrically it's hit and miss with DM and even the hits are just ok)

I remember seeing a thing on YT a couple of years ago too where it showed them writing songs for i think maybe black celebration or MFTM and they were working with computers back when almost nobody was and this will sound silly but just seeing the interfaces and how complicated and time consuming and limited it seemed then it just gave me even more respect for them.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby Grey Poupon » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:04 am

I would like to watch that video milk

edit: ah oui
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby Milk » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:45 pm

i definitely remember seeing this and it might be it but in my memory they actually worked on songs in the video id seen, here they're basically just going through a list of songs on a floppy....hmm... I might have false memories of this.

And robert is wrong, he didn't have a double album worth of good songs. Well, yeah if he'd thrown out maybe 6 of them and replaced them with the better bsides from this era. But i digress
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby odilon redon » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:41 pm

Classic Dog Avatar wrote:some nice minimalistic fucksongs, 1997 - 2001:

:oops:
E|---------------------|
B|---------------------|
G|-2-2-2-0^(0)-2^3^2-0
D|---------------------|
A|---------------------|
E|---------------------|
odilon redon

Postby Classic Dog Avatar » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:48 pm

Did u fuck to those songs ... minimally?
Classic Dog Avatar
ride.

Postby crackers » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:09 pm

crackers wrote:Apparently the grande bibliotheque has copies of Fan Club in their collection. I have to pick up a book i reserved anyway, so i’ll probably take a look at them on the weekend (I’m a nostalgic dork).

Went there today and:

ImageImage :lol:
crackers

Postby crackers » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:10 pm

crackers

Postby Milk » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:42 pm

crackers wrote:
crackers wrote:Apparently the grande bibliotheque has copies of Fan Club in their collection. I have to pick up a book i reserved anyway, so i’ll probably take a look at them on the weekend (I’m a nostalgic dork).

Went there today and:

ImageImage :lol:

I feel like the french version probably had a slightly different cover cause it doesn't ring TOO much a bell. but i do remember a samantha fox cover too so it was probably at least similar. Or maybe it was the same but my memory is worse than i remember. Another one of those things where you go why the fuck didn't i keep those? But in your teens you're kinda like eh i'm never gonna want to have a look at this shit ever again and your part with so many things. If i had children i would forbid them to get rid of anything once they move past childhood. I'd just take it and keep it somewhere, toys, books, magazines, whatever.
Milk

Postby Milk » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:45 pm

found out recently that contemporary reviews (well, 80's) were not kind to Depeche mode in general. For a long time they were still seen as some sort of vapid boy band. To be fair they DO have a bunch of rather vapid or trite songs but the music could not be dismissed it seems to me.
Milk

Postby badhat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:54 pm

yeah its weird

i really liked the cure and DM very early in my music fandom at like 12-13 (late 80s) but as i dug in more i was really surprised that neither were like prestige acts like my other early faves- new order, pet shop boys, REM and the like

I was impressionable and kinda internalized that for a long time. i’d take violator over any PSB or NO now.

i think NIN is sorta the same- when i was a skinny puppy kid NIN seemed phony as hell. took a while to appreciate what he was doing.
admittedly the metal thread has recently taken a hit
badhat

Postby badhat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:06 pm

this was true of a lotta shit i liked in those days tho

we’ve talked s lot about how most of shoegaze was a joke at the time and the subsequent canonization of bands like Ride was pretty weird.
badhat

Postby Milk » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:10 pm

Remember seeing a Skinny Puppy tv interview when i was a teen, maybe around 1994 or 1995 and cevin key was saying about NIN yeah well we've been doing this for over ten years and nobody cared. And i thought, no, that's the thing, you've not been doing this. You've been doing industrial that doesn't have much catchiness, much mainstream appeal to it. What Reznor did is manage to take an industrial sound and make it marketable. Like i don't think anybody in SP ever thought "hey this tune could be a single". And i respect SP, love their very early stuff, but don't try and pretend you've been doing the same thing as NIN does but somehow for unknown reasons you didn't hit it big. Anyway i don't think there was much real animosity, Reznor worked with Ogre if im' not mistaken? Or maybe just Ogilvie.
Milk

Postby badhat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:16 pm

it was always hard to tell what was real and what was pro wrestling, but iirc there was some bad blood between that crew and reznor but i think it was mostly reznor/albini (unsurprisingly) hating eachother during/after the first pigface album (which remains one of the weirdest, greatest artifacts of that era)
badhat

Postby badhat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:19 pm

the pigface original version of "suck" is so great and so heavy and then reznor did a version as NIN that was too clean and nu-metal and then pigface sans reznor did it live a lot but their live version had his metal riff that wasnt in the original
badhat

Postby rubicon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:42 pm

I like to tell my coworkers to reach out and touch base
avenues all lined with trees
rubicon

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:17 am

great thread
Jefferson Zeppelin

Previous

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....