Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby fester » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:07 pm

I would probably start with Low-Life but a lot of people here will say Power Corruption and Lies
------------
fester

Postby Clive » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:07 pm

I’d start w Substance, then Power, Corruption and Lies and Technique
Clive

Postby Kwisatz Haderach » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:30 pm

Tell me more about Front 242
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby futurist » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:30 pm

Kwisatz Haderach wrote:Tell me more about Front 242

a mash-up of U-Men and Depeche Mode "People are People" is inevitable whenever i dj a new wave night

front 242 isn't the best ebm, in my opinion, but probably the most consistent of the big names

futurist

Postby ~> :? :? » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:39 pm

Front 242 has nothing to do with dm whatsoever
~> :? :?
ride.

Postby futurist » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:47 pm

i don't think that's a fair statement. i wouldn't directly associate the two, but they were brought up and i've got to imagine that EBM may not have been developed in such a wide scope if it wasn't for Depeche Mode gaining international recognition, and i'm sure Depeche was listening to Geography.
futurist

Postby Rhodes » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:55 pm

Front 242 slaps.
Rhodes

Postby Rhodes » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:00 pm

You know who else slaps?

Rhodes

Postby Kwisatz Haderach » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:01 pm

I’ve heard that Depeche Mode were listening to einsturzende neubauten
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby KPH » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:03 pm

DJ Moby opened for Front 242 when I saw them
KPH

Postby Clive » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:12 pm

Hell, if we're gonna start posting all kinds of 80s synth/EBM/electronic stuff in here:

Clive

Postby Kwisatz Haderach » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:14 pm

Kwisatz Haderach wrote:I’ve heard that Depeche Mode were listening to einsturzende neubauten

I tried googling for more detail and found a review of “people are people” that I wrote :?
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby Rhodes » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:15 pm

Kwisatz Haderach wrote:I’ve heard that Depeche Mode were listening to einsturzende neubauten

True. Martin befriended Blixa Bargeld, too, I think. EN collaborated with Fad Gadget with Gareth Jones before Some Great Reward and some of what you hear on "People Are People" was born out of that. I think Martin also saw EN live before Construction Time Again, so I'm not sure if the connection comes from that, Jones, or maybe Daniel Miller.
Rhodes

Postby Rhodes » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:16 pm

My memory of the short films from the reissues is a bit fuzzy.
Rhodes

Postby Rhodes » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:17 pm

They're actually surprisingly rewatchable, though.
Rhodes

Postby Rhodes » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:20 pm

Clive wrote:Hell, if we're gonna start posting all kinds of 80s synth/EBM/electronic stuff in here:

Yes.
Rhodes

Postby futurist » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:06 am

Rhodes wrote:

True. Martin befriended Blixa Bargeld, too, I think. EN collaborated with Fad Gadget with Gareth Jones before Some Great Reward and some of what you hear on "People Are People" was born out of that. I think Martin also saw EN live before Construction Time Again, so I'm not sure if the connection comes from that, Jones, or maybe Daniel Miller.

i've got a bootleg of Fad Gadget live that's Tovey and Blixa. pretty cool
futurist

Postby fester » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:10 am

Through half of DM 101 their tour manager guy is wearing a front 242 shirt therefore they're super connected.
------------
fester

Postby Kwisatz Haderach » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:32 pm

i bought some new tapes. if i order this gizmo can we start like a tape rips club on here
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby Kwisatz Haderach » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:51 pm

Kwisatz Haderach wrote:i bought some new tapes. if i order this gizmo can we start like a tape rips club on here

This POS doesn't work and is getting sent right back to Amazon
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby rankoutsider » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:08 pm

Going back to DEPECHE and how Alan Wilder made all of Gore's demos better, Judas is probably my favourite non-EnjoyTheSilence song of theirs:
Sprechen Sie talk?
rankoutsider

Postby Milk » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:48 pm

I'll take duh for 200. Even if mostly only for 3 or 4 records. Something which shitloads of better regarded bands have never achieved.

I wish i'd been into them when i was young. I mean i did have a copy of violator on tape which i listened to a lot when i was like 13 (so like 1991) but that lasted only a couple of months and then i moved on to other things and i did not really get into them proper until probably 2000 or so. Reading my dumb pop idols mags at like 12 i had got a strong message that if you liked pop but were beyond the stupid kind you listened to four bands at least: DM, The cure, U2 and Indochine (these were mags addressed to french speaking people). It is not coincidence I suppose that i love all those bands 80's output. I'd bet if it had not been 1990-1991 but more like 1987, New order would have been included too. I think NO just did not appear quite romantic enough to french audiences too. Or maybe just maybe they were you know...just not sexy enough.

In any case, first album i ever bought in 1987 was Indochine, i only exckusively listened to U2 for two years of my life in my mid-teens, The cure is my favorite band ever and DM well, they're at least somewhere in my top 10. And for all i know it is all because of that dumb Fan Club (that was its name) magazine which i mostly otherwise remember as having some really good pics of pop princesses like Madonna that i frequently hmm....relieved myself to
Last edited by Milk on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby Milk » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:54 pm

There was this pic they printed in there of Madonna, she was all spread out in underwear on a chair with no panties on and had both hands covering her vagina. This is the kind of pics we were allowed to have in our pop idols magazines over here. It was basically like "here kids, jerk yourselves off to THIS"

Ok actually i googled it and found it

This was NOT a mag intended for adults. Tweens and teens and even then in my teens i was over it.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby Kwisatz Haderach » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:29 pm

Remain in light rules
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby crackers » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:20 pm

Milk wrote:There was this pic they printed in there of Madonna, she was all spread out in underwear on a chair with no panties on and had both hands covering her vagina.

Holy shit, I had that copy of Fan Club with the scandalous Madonna pic. The first issue I ever bought had Mitsou on the cover and came with a free sticker. There was a Pen Pal section in the back of the magazine, which I submitted an ad to…. mortifying to think of now... but I did get some responses and corresponded with a few people for a couple of years.
crackers

Postby Kwisatz Haderach » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:58 pm

Help me get into Kraftwerk
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby NegativeCapability » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:40 pm

Kwisatz Haderach wrote:Help me get into Kraftwerk

Autobahn -> Trans Europa -> Mensch Maschine -> Computerwelt. Radio-Aktivität and Ralf & Florian are pretty good, too. And then listen to the first two which I think are underrated plus K4 which is some really wild psychy krautrocky shit.
Greta Van Fleet
NegativeCapability

Location: earth rocking in undisclosed location in filthy Europe

Postby ~> :? :? » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:50 pm

I is still my favorite but it's more traditional prog

I like computer world quite a bit but Autobahn is obviously #1
~> :? :?
ride.

Postby Milk » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:14 pm

crackers wrote:
Milk wrote:There was this pic they printed in there of Madonna, she was all spread out in underwear on a chair with no panties on and had both hands covering her vagina.

Holy shit, I had that copy of Fan Club with the scandalous Madonna pic. The first issue I ever bought had Mitsou on the cover and came with a free sticker. There was a Pen Pal section in the back of the magazine, which I submitted an ad to…. mortifying to think of now... but I did get some responses and corresponded with a few people for a couple of years.

Well that's not a response i expected on this forum like at all.

Yeah i think i bought it for...i don't know how long, was probably short overall. Probably not two years. I don't remember my first issue. It would have probably been late 1989 or early 1990 and i was into erm...NKOTB and Debbie Gibson. :? Well i was 11 also. I didn't start listening to decent music until age 13-14 at least. It's too bad i started buying it so late because by 1990 nobody cared enough about Debbie gibson anymore to have posters (well one page pics) of her i could have hung in my room. I hung posters of pretty much any other shitty pop artist they featured though. Even some i barely even was aware of. If it was a somewhat attractive woman definitely it was going on my wall because i was at that stupid age. Though i wanna say i didn't hang that madonna pic...my parents probably would have shrugged about it but... I just kept it for those "special occasions"
Milk

Postby Milk » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:15 pm

Also there is no good reason to force yourself to get into Kraftwerk tbh. :)
Milk

PreviousNext

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.