Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby chargie » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:21 am

pony wrote:don't know abroad, but french journos are extremely harsh with him, if i had to guess i'd say it's a mix of him being a young poc and a "flashy" player. he also has a documentary series on canal+ called pogsérie where he shows his life, his house and his family all up to the world cup that seemed to rub a lot of people in the media the wrong way. he has a small five a side pitch in his house that he called the pogstadium and he got a lot a backlash for that for a few days after the episode was aired...

the level of punditry on french tv is also extremely low, commentators routinely discover players they're supposed to know in the middle of games, have no idea what tactics are, and love to dogpile on players like benzema, nasri, menez, pogba, anelka a few years back (and yes there is a very obvious pattern here)...

when arsene used to comment the national team games he was two three glasses of wine deep and basically slept for 80 minutes and barely said more than 10 words but. lizarazu who has been commentating for a few years and who will handle most of the french games for the world cup on national television is a huge piece of shit who can't stop saying that in his time players used to work harder and be more respectful.

and obviously griezmann can do no wrong, his blackface had no consequences, no one mentions it anymore, but even though pogba doesn't have "his hair" journalists still keep talking about his style like it's a big deal...

really hope pogba dominates the midfield and scores a few goals so everyone can just shut up and enjoy the great players and great team we have.

for example this is today's cover for l'équipe (the biggest sports paper in france), extremely harsh title (coup de froid is slightly less strong of an expression than cold shower but still pretty close), maybe don't put the player who had the best game underneath it and put the goalkeeper and captain who is more than partly responsible for the goal there?

This is a good post even if I deteste poc as an umbrella term including Black people (mostly because other so-called poc are also anti-black, but this is a discussion for elsewhere).

Situation in France sounds similar to here. Sterling and Pogba enjoying the same treatment.

I like Pogba, even if he is a united player, and really want him to do well
trouble wrote:e equals can't c color
chargie

Postby chargie » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:24 am

And I must admit I like the image of Arsene backing glass after glass of wine and occasionally interjecting with a fake-deep football truism. Wish I could pay him to do that at my house tbh
chargie

Postby pana » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:27 am

shit pundits everywhere
pana

Postby acapelli » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:37 am

pony wrote:eh, didn't hear them boo all along, almost half the team played for lyon at one point and we played quite well but yeah, it's not enough for them to have the most obnoxious team and president they also have the worst fans...

Pretty shitty of you to throw this young us squad's lot with our stupid president, especially when so many of them were young poc

Don't be mad that a France squad that includes a number of players who's single transfer fees dwarf the entire us team's couldn't get a decent result from a us team that barely played together before
acapelli

Postby pony » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:04 am

i was talking about lyon (olympique lyonnais) president jean-michel aulas who is one of the three worst people in french football.

edit:
this guy
pony

Postby pony » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:54 am

@chargie
yes i agree, it was easier to use poc here, although in france arab players get a far worse treatment than black or caribbean players.
the 1987 generation (benzema, nasri, ben arfa and menez (note that menez is white)) got soooo much hate from the media it was insane, they were called, and are still called, racailles (french equivalent of chav i guess) so many times i can't even count.
there is always a big debate here of what to do and how to integrate the banlieues (suburbs) and all the people that live there are really stigmatized. when sarkozy talked about cleaning the banlieues with a karcher he was directly referring to all the young guys wearing nike tn's and lacoste tracksuits, and this cliché is still a big part of the contemporary french mythos, even though all these codes have been reappropriated by the fashion industry but this is for another topic.

@iambic
most of the 98 world cup squad works in media now. thuram is a really strong voice for integration and against racism in france, in the sarkozy years he was really vocal against the use of the term racailles to describe suburban youth, he invited clandestine immigrants who were waiting for asylum to a french game and that was a huge scandal at the time. i'd be very surprised if he gets back into football one day.
90% of them are really insufferable, petit might be the worst, always trying to seem deep and intellectual and it never works because he's extremely stupid, at one point he tried to run for the federation presidency, and i won't be surprised if he gets it one day. djorkaeff is cool, talks about european football on bein, good guy. pires is on bein too, not the worst. dugarry is always on tv and i'm almost sure it's because he's zidane's best friend and gets to do long interviews with him almost every year. lebœuf is kind of a douche and really broey, he was in an advertising campaign that some friends worked on and started telling them about cr7 being gay totally unprompted. barthez races cars now, he did the 24h du mans. guivarc'h famously sells swimming pools. really love trezeguet, he might be my favorite player ever but he totally disappeared, and i think i like him even more for that. there is also karambeu who is from new caledonia and who is the grandson of one of the kanaks who was taken from his island and showed in the paris colonial exposition as a cannibal, he really hates france and in les yeux dans les bleus (best football documentary ever, that follows the 98 french squad at the world cup) they celebrate his birthday and they bring him a cake and you can see he's hating the whole situation and he really despises everyone there.
there's a 20 year anniversary documentary on the world cup victory tonight on tv where all the players are featured (including zidane), kind of curious to see how it turns out.
pony

Postby delgriffith » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:57 am

Cheers for these posts pony. Agree w/ chargie that it sounds like Sterling's treatment by the English press is very similar to Pogba's in France.
delgriffith

Postby epistrophy » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:30 pm

For any curious Americans, that documentary Les Bleus on Netflix does a pretty good job of telling the story of how the French team’s fortunes have been a lens for understanding some of these race and class issues in France. I was living there in 2005 when Sarkozy was demonizing les racailles from les banlieues and everything in and around Paris seemed like it was on fire for a few weeks. Hard for us foreigners to understand how deep this stuff runs from afar.
epistrophy

Postby iambic » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:19 pm

yeah I love trezeguet. he's still close with Juventus and does ambassador stuff for them. a few years ago Thuram actually came near where I live to do a talk with a Duke professor about the complexities of race, colonialism, etc. in French football, but I missed it.
iambic

Postby Jabberwocky » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:20 pm

These posts are really interesting. Thanks for the insight into these situations! I know that it is faux pas for an Italian to be rooting for the French NT, but they are undeniably the most fun team in the competition this summer. I really hope they do well and I really would love nothing more than to see Pogba really dominate midfield through the whole tournament. Allez les bleus!

https://streamable.com/8kys3
This highlight of every PL teams best goal of the season is really fun. I think Wanyama had the best goal of the season and that was easily the most entertaining PL game of the year. I think that Charlie Daniels goal might be my second favorite. It looks like it is going about 400 mph when it smacks home in the top corner.
Cosa vogliamo?
Tutto!
Jabberwocky

Postby iambic » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:24 pm

chargie wrote:I like Pogba, even if he is a united player, and really want him to do well

me too, but going back to United has been demonstrably bad for his career, if not his wallet, and I hope he dwells.on it a lot
iambic

Postby junglejim » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:38 pm

Jabberwocky wrote:https://streamable.com/8kys3
This highlight of every PL teams best goal of the season is really fun. I think Wanyama had the best goal of the season and that was easily the most entertaining PL game of the year. I think that Charlie Daniels goal might be my second favorite. It looks like it is going about 400 mph when it smacks home in the top corner.

The Vardy one does it for me every time.
junglejim

Postby delgriffith » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:40 pm

Thuram gave that same talk at NYU and I went to see it - he was excellent.
delgriffith

Postby figaro » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:45 pm

Jabberwocky wrote:These posts are really interesting. Thanks for the insight into these situations! I know that it is faux pas for an Italian to be rooting for the French NT, but they are undeniably the most fun team in the competition this summer. I really hope they do well and I really would love nothing more than to see Pogba really dominate midfield through the whole tournament. Allez les bleus!

https://streamable.com/8kys3

yeah that and the salah goal...think ive watched the telemundo call like a 100 times

match ripped
figaro

Postby the soccer return believer » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:45 pm

What are Lionel Charbonnier, Alain Boghossain and Stephane Guivar'ch up to these days

My personal email address is named for Karembeu, weirdly
katy perry pissing all over my diamond-encrusted crown as I sentence another peon to death
the soccer return believer

Postby chargie » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:11 pm

:/
chargie

Postby acidity regulator » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:54 pm

pogba suffers from the same shit that happens every time a young black player gets signed "he seems very humble!" / "but is he humble enough?" that no one hears when a dutch blue eyed blonde gets signed

edit: i see this has been discussed. just echoing stuff i guess
ImageImageImage
acidity regulator
Site Admin

Postby acapelli » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:31 pm

pony wrote:i was talking about lyon (olympique lyonnais) president jean-michel aulas who is one of the three worst people in french football.

edit:
this guy

lol i thought it was odd to see someone conflate the usmnt with trump, but also my reading comprehension is shit. thanks for clearing up
acapelli

Postby the soccer return believer » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:07 pm

Big Sam just won the Soccer Aid Cup with England! #BetterThanSouthgate
katy perry pissing all over my diamond-encrusted crown as I sentence another peon to death

Postby pony » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:14 pm

Tom Cruise wrote:What are Lionel Charbonnier, Alain Boghossain and Stephane Guivar'ch up to these days

My personal email address is named for Karembeu, weirdly

guivarc'h is selling swimming pools for a living, his career really plummeted after the world cup and i think he never got over his injury physically and mentally, he looked like a broken man when he was training by himself in les yeux dans les bleus.

boghossian went to play an exhibition match for kadyrov, on his way back the chief of police gave him a watch at the airport and that was another big scandal in france (i think figo, barthez and maradona were also playing for kadyrov).

charbonnier, i had to google this one, is apparently working for equidia, a tv channel about horses. he also still was playing professionally in the democratic republic of congo three years ago.

and in france karembeu is mostly famous for being adriana's husband, she used to be really popular a few years ago, she was a red cross ambassador and the face for a bunch of glasses and sunglasses brands.

pony

Postby the soccer return believer » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:17 pm

Was mostly joking because they weren't the big stars, but thanks :)

Speaking of Kadyrov!

Postby pana » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:29 pm

Karembeu and Sklenarikova were huge in Greece back in the 00s. they divorced and he got an office job at his old club helping Marinakis fix shit
pana

Postby the soccer return believer » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:32 pm

Oh yeah he was at Oly wasn't he. I used to buy him all the time on CM01/02 because he was great

Postby pana » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:34 pm

i don't hate the guy or anything but imagine having the title of "Strategic Advisor" at that club. for that scumbag
pana

Postby gallits » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:16 pm

My Lyonnaise gf suggested that Thuram is generally disliked by the average french person for coming across as "too agressive" when he stood up for the banlieues/ against Sarcozy. This is insanely depressing to me.

He actually did an exhibition at the quai Branly about exhibitions of humans which is the best exhibition addressing France's colonial history she has ever been to.
gallits

Postby Jake SPEED » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:25 pm

Great posts Pony
Jake SPEED

Postby mites » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:03 pm

chargie wrote:

:/

What is S**
mites

Postby Bernie » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:10 pm

The Sun
Bernie
Mayonnaise Boy

Postby chargie » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:45 am

chargie

Postby mites » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:54 am

Tom Cruise wrote:Was mostly joking because they weren't the big stars, but thanks :)

Speaking of Kadyrov!

this is sad
mites

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....