Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby bachwards » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:25 pm

draw wrote:Someone mistakenly inferred that I was a fellow Sam Harris fan because I used the phrase "intellectually dishonest." Guess that's another phrase I'll have excise from my vocabulary.

For masochistic reasons I read the Slate Star Codex subreddit when Harris released the e-mails a few weeks ago, and the rationalist bros took it as evidence that Scott Alexander et. al. were having a positive impact on the discourse because Klein talked about "updating his priors."
bachwards

Postby object » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:07 am

When challenged on the lack of empathy he shows to minority experiences, Harris cites his friendship with Ayaan Hirsi Ali, who has said in the past that the West needs to go to war with Islam.

It was a rebuttal that actually proved Ezra's point.

I listened to about half of this before i fell asleep. I can't remember if Ezra came back at that particular point.
object

Postby cooly » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:21 am

Feech La Manna wrote:lol
Ezra wrote: I know Charles Murray. When I wrote my very first piece as a journalist in Washington, it was a piece about poverty, I interviewed him for it. I’ve reviewed his books. I’ve talked with him. My wife is writing a book about UBI actually. He’s quoted in the book. I do not want Charles Murray silenced, and he’s a lovely guy interpersonally. There’s no doubt about that.

:?:
can wrote:old lady [whispering]
cooly

Postby light rail coyote » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:13 pm

draw wrote:Someone mistakenly inferred that I was a fellow Sam Harris fan because I used the phrase "intellectually dishonest." Guess that's another phrase I'll have excise from my vocabulary.

very ironic given that Harris is one ofnthe most intellectually dishonest writers out there
light rail coyote

Postby joe » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:27 pm

I stupidly went to R/samharris and all i got was the perfect Reddit intellectual quote

I'm in the same boat. I sided heavily with Harris at first. Then, after some posting and more reading here, I started to side with Klein. Now, I'm of the opinion that it really comes down to the details of the IQ test, how it is administered, and if the results can bee deemed accurate & consistent across groups. If they can, Sam. If they can't, Klein. But, I'd need to read a few experts opinions on the tests before I can side one way or the other.
dễ dàng wrote:CHẾT TIỆT
joe

Postby Sobieski » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:33 pm

definitely a Image
mites wrote:Idk I like society as an idea
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby object » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:28 pm

Lots of his fans on twitter literally have chin stroking avatars
object

Postby Sheppy_Wong » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:45 am

I listened to the Harris/klein debatecast while mowing the lawn. Kinda surprised I didn't accidentally mow over a hornet nest while listening.
Sheppy_Wong

Postby Sheppy_Wong » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:47 am

Fleeing the swarming hornets would have been a welcome reprieve.
Sheppy_Wong

Postby cooly » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:59 am

can wrote:old lady [whispering]
cooly

Postby brittle » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:24 am

yeah, i listened to the next sam harris podcast (this week's) and he spent the first 20 mintues explaining what he actually meant while he spent an hour shitting the the bed during the kline interview. i stopped a few minutes in, and after listening fairly regulary for 3 years, unsubscribed.

one too many idiotic battles picked, then blaming everybody else of bad faith arguing when you realize you look like a fool. like, if you points are so salient and self-evident, you probably wouldn't be getting dunked on every time you open your mouth.
Last edited by brittle on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brittle

Postby brittle » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:26 am

but i agree with the overall point that science and social justice should always be intrinsically aligned, and if there's any conflict between the two, somebody needs to reevaluate their truths.
brittle

Postby blurst of times » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:40 am

joe wrote:I stupidly went to R/samharris and all i got was the perfect Reddit intellectual quote

I'm in the same boat. I sided heavily with Harris at first. Then, after some posting and more reading here, I started to side with Klein. Now, I'm of the opinion that it really comes down to the details of the IQ test, how it is administered, and if the results can bee deemed accurate & consistent across groups. If they can, Sam. If they can't, Klein. But, I'd need to read a few experts opinions on the tests before I can side one way or the other.

I haven't really read any of this thread (not feeling masochistic enough) but this is amazing(ly dumb)
blurst of times
ride.

Postby draw » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:50 am

brittle wrote:but i agree with the overall point that science and social justice should always be intrinsically aligned, and if there's any conflict between the two, somebody needs to reevaluate their truths.

Science is a tool and social justice is an end. I feel like they ought to be orthogonal rather than aligned. Science can fill in "facts" but does not really impact your assumptions about how society ought to function. My feelings about social justice would be more or less the same regardless of the veracity of Murray's "science". Much like the question of whether being gay is biological wasn't at all important in shaping my beliefs about LGBT rights.
draw

Postby draw » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:02 pm

Like your personal concept of "fairness" isn't scientific. If your argument about what "true fairness" looks like is scientific, you're just using the implicit authority granted to "Science" to distract from the assumptions that gave rise to your worldview, a kind of intellectual shell game
draw

Postby brittle » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:09 pm

draw wrote:
brittle wrote:but i agree with the overall point that science and social justice should always be intrinsically aligned, and if there's any conflict between the two, somebody needs to reevaluate their truths.

Science is a tool and social justice is an end. I feel like they ought to be orthogonal rather than aligned. Science can fill in "facts" but does not really impact your assumptions about how society ought to function. My feelings about social justice would be more or less the same regardless of the veracity of Murray's "science". Much like the question of whether being gay is biological wasn't at all important in shaping my beliefs about LGBT rights.

i feel like we have the same opinion, even though i don't understand some of the words you used, but yeah science doesn't/shouldn't lead to opinions and philosophies about how people should treat each other, BUT if your opinion and philosophies about the about how people should treat each other contradict sound, accurate, indisputable, data-driven conclusions (i'm NOT referring to charels murray here; i mean, scientific facts in general), then it's good and right to have to reexamine your beliefs.

but it's not just on people to adapt their views based on scientific consensus, if scientific conclusions go against what we believe to be right and good, then those data and conclusions should be carefully questioned and reviewed with heightened skepticism as well.
brittle

Postby turquoise albino » Tue May 08, 2018 1:05 pm

dark web

turquoise albino

Postby object » Thu May 17, 2018 9:53 am

object

Postby bluelips » Thu May 17, 2018 10:24 am

good article
bluelips

Postby alaska » Thu May 17, 2018 10:38 am

did you guys know sam harris's mom created "the golden girls"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Harris
alaska
ride.

Postby inmate » Thu May 17, 2018 9:51 pm

what the hell, i had no idea his mom was susan harris. i love soap
inmate

Postby Feech La Manna » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:09 pm

jesus christ

badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Shalabi » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:14 pm

jesus christ, DAVE RUBIN??
Shalabi

Postby The Dirty Turtle » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:32 pm

holy shit the topics
The Dirty Turtle
ok

Postby laserblast » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:35 pm

All those people in one place, and no Joker to do anything about it.
laserblast

Postby mcwop23 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:36 pm

not a person alive who would call it terrorism
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby Feech La Manna » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:39 pm

David H Koch Theater is such a great punchline
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby joe » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:40 pm

If They Can Say It Why Can't I?
dễ dàng wrote:CHẾT TIỆT
joe

Postby Feech La Manna » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:43 pm

Holy fucking shit tickets to that are $499
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

PreviousNext

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.