Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby bongo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:31 pm

dzanc paperback third edition comes out 4/15, with the digital coming probably a hair earlier (per correspondence w/ dzanc publisher michelle dotter). tentative start date for a group read one week after publication seems good but is flexible.
http://www.dzancbooks.org/our-books/women-and-men?rq=women%20men

this novel has a formidable reputation which is well earned but its really quite remarkable and i dont know anything quite like it. its a fine entry point into mcelroy as anything (though a smugglers bible is maybe best because its fascinating to see how the prose style evolved). this will be my second time through and im excited to get back into it.

ok so whos up for it

those who are up for it

bongo
griffith scannell
hey nathan
sadville
largecrow
riper
whatabout tim
landspeed
klubrick
criss elliott
rushedbehind
a is jump
nosebleeds
forest design
bro tones
alaska
iacus
Celiac Cruz
g_s

Recommended Prep Reading

http://www.electronicbookreview.com/thread/criticalecologies/accretive and the essays in the mcelroy reader that riper upped and

bongo wrote:a couple background resources:

interview w/ joe:
http://www.raintaxi.com/failure-building-embrace-an-interview-with-joseph-mcelroy/
theres another here that i havent read that maybe riper can post?
http://www.jstor.org/stable/25303916?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

essay referenced in W&M preface to wit:
"In the writing of this book I have meditated often upon Small Is Beautiful: Economics as if People Mattered (Perennial Library, Harper & Row, 1975) and more particularly upon his phrase 'an articulated structure that can cope with a multiplicity of small-scale units.'"

https://www.ee.iitb.ac.in/student/~pdarshan/SmallIsBeautifulSchumacher.pdf

a big dump of essays (not exclusive to W&M):
https://www.reddit.com/r/JosephMcElroy/comments/2cdel4/essays_on_mcelroys_work_updated_if_and_when/

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE

Week 1: division of labor unknown & BETWEEN US: A BREATHER AT THE BEGINNING (3-48)
Week 2: Choor Monster... & the unknown sound (48-110)
Week 3: What Found Grace... & dividing the unknown between us (110-163)
Week 4: BETWEEN US: A BREATHER STILL AT THE BEGINNING, Ship Rock, & still life (163-255)
Week 5: Her Place Is There, the departed tenant, Larry, & the future (255-347)
Week 6: BETWEEN HISTORIES: BREATHING BEGINNING TO BE HEARD (347-482)
Week 7: Alias Missing Conversation, known bits I, Charity, the unknown saved, & Gordon's Story (482-577)
Week 8: BETWEEN HISTORIES: BREATHERS THICK AND FAST (577-734)
Week 9: the message..., OPENING IN THE VOID (smile), rent (734-859)
Week 10: THE HERMIT INVENTOR... & daughter of the revolution (859-1007)
Week 11: Wall-to-Wall, known bits II, & Mike-Whipped Landscape, IN FUTURE, & news (1007-1149)
Week 12: known bits III, THE CURVE SPEAKS..., BETWEEN US: A BREATHER TOWARD THE END (1149-1293)
Last edited by bongo on Tue May 29, 2018 9:34 am, edited 8 times in total.
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby bongo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:31 pm

yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby bongo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:40 pm

this reader has several really good pieces on W&M, i can probably scan them (lol) if theres interest
bongo
man in hammock

Postby bongo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:43 pm

jesus

Word came that the Community Bookstore was closing. No preparations seemed underway. If anything, the clutter grew, but Scioli just stood out front, daunting and resolute as Ahab. Then, one humid night, I walked past and saw hundreds of books being chucked into a dumpster. Desperate to save what I could, I entered and headed, as always, right to the m’s. And there it was. The fat hardcover. It was in pristine condition and didn’t even smell of smoke. At the register, Scioli looked me over. I feigned nonchalance as I handed Women and Men his way. “First edition,” he said, as my nerve endings fired. “Five dollars.” I handed the bill over. Was there the slightest twinkle in his eyes? Or did mine have enough tenderness for both of us?
bongo
man in hammock

Postby griffith scannell » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:13 pm

i'm in! they only ship to the USA tho so i probably wont have it until april/may.
griffith scannell

Postby bongo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:17 pm

great. i think itll be a small group (if that) so we can move the start date if we need to when we hammer out details
bongo
man in hammock

Postby zolpidem tartrate » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:30 pm

griffith scannell wrote:i'm in! they only ship to the USA tho so i probably wont have it until april/may.

For what it's worth, if you email michelle@dzancbooks.org you can have it shipped outside of the US. It's definitely expensive, though.
zolpidem tartrate

Postby hey nathan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:22 pm

in
hey nathan

Postby G_S » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:26 pm

idk if I will get it together to be involved in this but I definitely appreciate the reminder that this was being republished. I went ahead and ordered a copy
G_S

Postby bongo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:28 pm

get it together please!
bongo
man in hammock

Postby Sobieski » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:38 pm

Been kind of wanting to read this, I have a copy of smugglers bible but haven’t dug that far in
smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby G_S » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:39 pm

it's 1200 pages and I barely read anymore. I'll try my best
G_S

Postby griffith scannell » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:49 pm

zolpidem tartrate wrote:
griffith scannell wrote:i'm in! they only ship to the USA tho so i probably wont have it until april/may.

For what it's worth, if you email michelle@dzancbooks.org you can have it shipped outside of the US. It's definitely expensive, though.

i'll be back in in the states sometime this spring so i'll pick it up then, but thanks anways!
griffith scannell

Postby Ampersand » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:59 pm

I've had two copies of the 1st edition hardcover. I bought them both online for like 6 bucks a piece? One pristine with jacket, the other jacket-less and the spine separating.
I gave the worse condition copy to someone else, not realizing its value. I poured like 1/3rd of a bottle of elmer's glue down the spine so it would be functional again.

Still haven't found the time to read it!
I wish I could join for this, but alas.
Ampersand

Postby sadville » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:10 pm

If this started on 5/22, I’d probably be in. I just have too much going on until then to be able to dedicate the amount of time and focus this brick demands.
sadville

Postby bongo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:02 pm

we can vote on start time :)
bongo
man in hammock

Postby Eyeball Kid » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:42 pm

It's great Dzanc is doing this and ultimately that's what matters, but yikes, the cover art for this new edition is very print-on-demand self-published looking.
Eyeball Kid

Postby bongo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:52 pm

it’s a painting by mcelroys wife i guess, doesn’t bug me much
bongo
man in hammock

Postby son of chucky » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:06 pm

may be into this depending on the pace you all take. i'm slow, especially with very big books
I am going to buy more books about elderly dogs in the future. Thank you.
son of chucky

Postby largecrow » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:51 pm

down for this, just saw that paris review piece about it earlier
largecrow

Postby ripersnifle » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:43 am

sick
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
Totally wrote:also to the really creepily obsessed kid frothing NON-US SPORTS GEAR IS A COMPLEXITY-SIGNALING DEVICE FOR AGEING HIPSTER ACOLYTES WHO DOWNLOAD MOANA: I have a lot of friends (and an apartment) in Geelong. Get a fuckin life man.
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:44 am

bongo wrote:Image

this reader has several really good pieces on W&M, i can probably scan them (lol) if theres interest
i can grab this issue digitally for people, i think.
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
Totally wrote:also to the really creepily obsessed kid frothing NON-US SPORTS GEAR IS A COMPLEXITY-SIGNALING DEVICE FOR AGEING HIPSTER ACOLYTES WHO DOWNLOAD MOANA: I have a lot of friends (and an apartment) in Geelong. Get a fuckin life man.
ripersnifle

Postby rushedbehind » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:47 am

i'm tentatively in. i've tried it before and liked parts of it a lot but didn't have the stamina to finish. maybe now's the time
rushedbehind

Postby rushedbehind » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:31 am

ripersnifle wrote:
bongo wrote:

that would be tight
rushedbehind

Postby winjer » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:38 am

winjer

Postby whatabout tim » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:52 am

I'm in. I'm also interested in that reader
tim
whatabout tim

Postby landspeedrecord » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:21 am

wasn't able to finish this one the first time around, but that was 7 years ago

I'm in
rather be an idiot than a sheeple
landspeedrecord

Postby ripersnifle » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:36 am

rushedbehind wrote:
ripersnifle wrote:
bongo wrote:
that would be tight
got this. will up in a bit (in jstor thread in members).
ripersnifle

Postby bongo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:36 am

sick
bongo
man in hammock

Postby bongo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:40 am

my gut instinct right now is to potentially assign sections for people to summarize/parse and then post to provide a foundation for exposition and discussion. like each person has weeks where they’re the discussion leader? the chumps of choice site for against the day is a good implementation of this kinda thing.

thoughts?? might be overkill or just not doable but this novel gets pretty hairy and tough to manage particularly in the breathers. i anticipate annotating and trying to “get clear” about the text throughout
bongo
man in hammock

Next

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....