Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby cool party » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:09 pm

Future wrote:yesterday i was gonna do a post about this album being 11 songs based on the same sample of Battles - Ice Cream but it seemed mean

a bit vindicated by that review

but yeah it's a little shocking that yall like this

i feel like whenever i check in on ol' hipinion the vibe is "thinkin' about killing myself because i liked an lcd soundsystem song 10 years ago"

strong agree

technically sound musicians but utterly devoid of passion or urgency

i can't gather what the emotional pull of this is supposed to be and it isn't interesting or technically compelling enough as "math rock praxis" to distract me from that. 6.8 is generous imo

i will leave the thread now
cool party

Postby Ici Aussi! » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:31 am

Enjoyed my first listen to this album because the musicians are undeniably talented, but yeah, they are definitely lacking in feeling. Listened a couple more times and it became a bit grating.

I'll take Deerhoof over this any day.
Ici Aussi!

Postby mactheo » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:01 pm

I saw them a few nights ago and was impressed; I was really affected emotionally by it. I actually have the opposite take—they don't seem to know that much about their instruments, or at least they approach them from an alien perspective (except the drummer, who flat out shreds). But there's a cool energy that takes their music along a new axis and it's beautiful. I still don't listen to them regularly.
from,
mactheo
mactheo

Postby walt whitman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:36 pm

yeah hmm, re "lacking in feeling"

the lack of affect is prob one of my fave aspects about these kids

it complements the abrasive, frenetic movement of the melodies, as a band they're about space, tempo and structure more than feeling, imho
walt whitman

Postby ripersnifle » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:39 pm

i agree re. "lack of affect" being the draw for me actually.
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
Totally wrote:also to the really creepily obsessed kid frothing NON-US SPORTS GEAR IS A COMPLEXITY-SIGNALING DEVICE FOR AGEING HIPSTER ACOLYTES WHO DOWNLOAD MOANA: I have a lot of friends (and an apartment) in Geelong. Get a fuckin life man.
ripersnifle

Postby walt whitman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:41 pm

that said just because it lacks affect doesn't mean it is not affective

their anxious, restless music directly affects the sensations and feelings in my body, making me "feel" excitable, high-strung, in turn

this is good music, this is how it works
walt whitman

Postby joymonger » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:52 pm

saw their LA show a couple nights ago. absolutely killer and they seem like genuinely nice people.

venue wasn't very crowded, which was a shame.
joymonger

Postby noiseandpop » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:17 am

still not entirely convinced by rock island but I caught them a couple nights ago and they were great. nice people to chat to aswell.
~~cry urself 2 ash~~
noiseandpop
piss reeking meth goblin

Postby vault » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:03 am

They ripped live, especially at the end when they were dickin around getting all sonic youth noise jam. Can you imagine if they went all aggro and heavy? I like anything that's got the skipping record repeato type thing--really puts me in a trance and is very much my kinda sound. Really don't see the point in thinking about it any further than that.
vault

Previous

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.